VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Which overlays? The ones in the extension, or the ones built in to VASL?
The traditional ones added via the boardpicker Overlays button.

Not the draggable overlays added via (1) the Overlays Extension and (2) the Draggable Overlays buttons - Orchard buttons on the toolbar. For the purposes of this discussion, overlays from these sources are counters (because of the way they are implemented in VASL).

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes. Auto-update happens when you open a .vsav game.

At present, what you wrote is true for counters and overlays. But not for maps aka boards. Boards update (1) when clicked on in the boardpicker dropdown and (2) when a .vsav file (setup file or saved game) is opened.

In VASL6.6.6, overlays will say goodbye to counters and will join boards in the "we like to auto-update club".

Since overlays are like boards in every respect, there is no reason not to treat them the same way. Counters and other game elements are different, I agree.

Auto-updating for boards (and soon overlays) works. Period. Sometimes there are connectivity or setup issues that prevent auto-updating from working. But those are different issues.
Brilliant. Not having to worry about the built-in overlays is nice.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
After telling VASL that one is playing a night scenario, some counters are "illuminated" (e.g., Final Fire) to remind one of the night rules in regards to gun flashes.

Of course, the VASL illuminates a Blaze counter and surrounding hexes as well.

I noticed that VASL illuminates a Flame counter, which is incorrect.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I did not know that.

One would expect that the illumination of a Flame, i.e small fire(s), would 'outshine' the muzzle flashes of a halfsquad's rifle-fire (Prep Fire). Maybe a case of ASL-physics.

von Marwitz

ColinJ

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
After telling VASL that one is playing a night scenario, some counters are "illuminated" (e.g., Final Fire) to remind one of the night rules in regards to gun flashes.

Of course, the VASL illuminates a Blaze counter and surrounding hexes as well.

The Flame is working as it should. A flame illuminates its own hex as per E1.942.
Colin

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There seems to be a significant problem accessing boards at present. I have not yet figured out why.

I reverted the last changes that I made (adding the FA,SA,NE boards) but that does not seemed to have resolved the larger problem.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@DougRim ,
After looking into the Smoke Hindrance problem I also realized I did not add any Hindrance code to the DZSME Cow counters. Please add this issue to the list for 6.6.7 and let me know when you would like the updated counter. Thanks.

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scenario 273 (/G38) Castello Fatato uses two Desert boards (27 & 28) with steppe terrain and... Deep Snow. (Note this also clears out the brush created by steppe terrain....)

No hurries on adding snow to the desert boards, I'm just going through creating setup files again. (Also, there's a good number of building overlays-X7-X15 and X18-in use which could use winter colors. And they're SSRed to all wooden.)

Last edited:

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
@DougRim ,
After looking into the Smoke Hindrance problem I also realized I did not add any Hindrance code to the DZSME Cow counters. Please add this issue to the list for 6.6.7 and let me know when you would like the updated counter. Thanks.
Good catch!

Just took a quick look at this. It does not, IMHO, require a change to the counter. It requires some changes to the Counter metadata stored in the dist folder and some code changes to VASLGameInterface.java.

Importantly, there are also a bunch of other draggable overlay counters for which the same kind of changes need to be made.

So, I think you have struck upon a useful broader issues. I will add it to the issues list.

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi, Just wondering if you want to send me any alpha to the LOS. level problem I asked about 2 months ago..

Do LOS work for Off Board Observers ( at level 3) ??

ColinJ

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Small issuing using VASL 6.6.6. The Russian 6-2-8 Assault Engineer (morale is not underlined), does not have an ELR option under the HOB listing.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Could we trim the margins on the Hd overlays just a tad? They're taking out significant hunks of in-hex terrain.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Please, is it possible to have PFZs as draggable overlays so they stay on map as wrecks do? They're a significant los factor and when the PFZ counter disappears on F10 or CRTL F10 its confusing.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
If I "CR and send to casualty bin" a unit it is automatically moved to the top of the stack thus losing possession of any SW it was under. It's a minor bug. Unless I misunderstand it as a feature?