VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Crop hexrows 6 to 20. Fails every time.

Also trying to set map to "no roads" causes the map to crash, every time.
Using 6.6.3.1, I was able to apply the hexrow 6 to 20 crop, the no roads transform and the deep snow transform. In your first post it appeared that you were using 6.6.3. I suggest you try 6.6.3.1.

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

Seems like hex 4G3 is missing some coding: All the LOSs I tried near and around 4G3 work fine; but LOS checks through 4G3 fail to show blocked (VASSAL 3.5.8, VASL 6.6.4-beta1).

Cheers,

Last edited:

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi all,

Seems like hex 4G3 is missing some coding: All the LOSs I tried near and around 4G3 work fine; but LOS checks through 4G3 fail to show blocked (VASSAL 3.5.8, VASL 6.6.4-beta1).

Cheers,

View attachment 20187
I see your snip and raise you my snip:

I did the above los check with both VASL6.6.3.1 and VASL6.6.4-beta2. In both cases, it seemed to work fine. Was your board cropped or adjusted in any way? Did you note which version of board 4 you were using?

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see your snip and raise you my snip:

View attachment 20193

I did the above los check with both VASL6.6.3.1 and VASL6.6.4-beta2. In both cases, it seemed to work fine. Was your board cropped or adjusted in any way? Did you note which version of board 4 you were using?
Hi Doug, thanks for your quick reply. Yes, actually, we're playing ASL15 Trapped!, and only hexes A-P on boards two and four are in play: I cropped the boards accordingly. From the VASL setup information, I see I'm using boards 4(v6.2) and 2(v6.6). Also, per the SSRs, the hills on board two are orchards. I've got no problems with the orchard overlays on board 2 as I understand LOSs are different when crossing overlays. But, so far, I've only encountered this odd problem in the one hex (4G3).

Cheers,

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Doug, thanks for your quick reply. Yes, actually, we're playing ASL15 Trapped!, and only hexes A-P on boards two and four are in play: I cropped the boards accordingly. From the VASL setup information, I see I'm using boards 4(v6.2) and 2(v6.6). Also, per the SSRs, the hills on board two are orchards. I've got no problems with the orchard overlays on board 2 as I understand LOSs are different when crossing overlays. But, so far, I've only encountered this odd problem in the one hex (4G3).

Cheers,
I was able to set up the map as per the SSR and the los through 4G3 worked fine. I can't seem to replicate the error. I would be inclined to chalk it up to a one-time glitch. If you get a chance, and outside of your game, if you could recreate the map at your end and test the los that would be helpful.

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was able to set up the map as per the SSR and the los through 4G3 worked fine. I can't seem to replicate the error. I would be inclined to chalk it up to a one-time glitch. If you get a chance, and outside of your game, if you could recreate the map at your end and test the los that would be helpful.
Thanks Doug, Will do. Cheers

15 Jan '22 update: started new file and game, added some overlays, and cropped the boards---all is working well. Thanks Doug!

Last edited:

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just ran into trouble with the current (2.10) version of the overlay extension. Trying to set the OG5 overlay to 'snow' gives this message:
Bad Data in Module: Image not found ovrog5c-s.gif

Quick testing shows similar behavior on OG3 & OG4. OG1&2 don't have snow commands at all. Also, none of the stream overlays have snow versions.

Could... this please be looked into soon? Me and Patch will be playing WO1 French Toast and Bacon soon.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Could... this please be looked into soon? Me and Patch will be playing WO1 French Toast and Bacon soon.
If it is not patched in time for your game, I believe that you can still always use the 'traditional way' of placing overlays:

By defining the position by coordinates while picking the boards.

Then, you will not use the extension and consequently, you cannot run into troubles possibly associated with it.

von Marwitz

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just ran into trouble with the current (2.10) version of the overlay extension. Trying to set the OG5 overlay to 'snow' gives this message:
Bad Data in Module: Image not found ovrog5c-s.gif

Quick testing shows similar behavior on OG3 & OG4. OG1&2 don't have snow commands at all. Also, none of the stream overlays have snow versions.

Rush job for you Rindis. Use this extension from this temporary location.

edit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewxgkrexkslm29o/VASLOverlays_v2.11-DRAFT001.vmdx?dl=0

I added a snow transform for OG5 and St01. Make sure your opponent has it too. Deactivate any other Overlay Extensions before using this one.

I'll add snow transforms for the other streams and OG overlays when I put out the next official update.

Please let me know of any issues.

P.S. what @von Marwitz posted should work too.

Last edited:

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That worked! Thanks!

As far as using the old method, my file actually originally used that, but I know that Patch's install managed to drop all the old-style overlays a while back, so I'm pretty much just able to use the current extension with him.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
. . . I know that Patch's install managed to drop all the old-style overlays a while back, . . .
sounds to me like Patch should check that the old-style overlays are in a folder called "overlays" which is within his folder called "boards" which is the one that his preferences setting for boards directory points VASSAL to.

If the overlays are in the right place and that place is accessible to VASSAL (see VASL Problem Solving from a few days ago), then VASL will find the overlays.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Boards BFPA and BFPB have both Towers and Storage Tanks. Towers are defined as round brown things and Storage Tanks as round gray (grey) things. When I select make all buildings wooden (brown) or stone (gray/grey) the round things all become the same color and can't be differentiated.

I discovered this in a playtest so I don't know if this affects any current scenarios.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
A thought regarding a possible improvement to the FW hill boards.

Playing Nate we both observed that it can be difficult to discern different hill levels and/or crest lines given the subtle differences in brown shading for those hill hexes on the Korea boards. We both quipped that on our physical boards we outlined the crest lines with a fine point marker and that it made dealing with these dramatically easier.

Any way one can get that effect on the VASL boards?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A thought regarding a possible improvement to the FW hill boards.

Playing Nate we both observed that it can be difficult to discern different hill levels and/or crest lines given the subtle differences in brown shading for those hill hexes on the Korea boards. We both quipped that on our physical boards we outlined the crest lines with a fine point marker and that it made dealing with these dramatically easier.

Any way one can get that effect on the VASL boards?
Sure. Someone just needs to go back and to the tedious graphical work. Many new boards are now done that way I think.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Boards BFPA and BFPB have both Towers and Storage Tanks. Towers are defined as round brown things and Storage Tanks as round gray (grey) things. When I select make all buildings wooden (brown) or stone (gray/grey) the round things all become the same color and can't be differentiated.
To be specific, Storage Tanks are not "buildings" as defined in the rules and should never be affected by any transformation that affects "buildings".

Towers are a little murkier. They are "treated as wooden buildings unless as otherwise stated" which suggests that they can be transformed to stone. However the TEM of a tower Location is a flat value, not dependent on the construction of the tower; the only effects of a wood-to-stone conversion are the flame/rubble possibilities. I would hope (it's only a hope) that any scenario featuring such a transformation would clarify in an SSR how towers are to be treated.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting. That probably means that storage tanks need a separate set of colors to prevent the color transformation for buildings from taking effect on them.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Interesting. That probably means that storage tanks need a separate set of colors to prevent the color transformation for buildings from taking effect on them.
I have added this as an issue on github.
To be specific, Storage Tanks are not "buildings" as defined in the rules and should never be affected by any transformation that affects "buildings".

Towers are a little murkier. They are "treated as wooden buildings unless as otherwise stated" which suggests that they can be transformed to stone. However the TEM of a tower Location is a flat value, not dependent on the construction of the tower; the only effects of a wood-to-stone conversion are the flame/rubble possibilities. I would hope (it's only a hope) that any scenario featuring such a transformation would clarify in an SSR how towers are to be treated.
This has been added to the issues list on github.