VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

etopp

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I made a VASL file for ASL 37 "Khamsin". This uses boards 27 and 28 (v6.4) and overlays H1, H3 and H4. When I load the VASL file, an error occurs:

VASL LOS disabled - unexpected error: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot read field "gridWidth" because "map" is null. VASSAL los active

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
I made a VASL file for ASL 37 "Khamsin". This uses boards 27 and 28 (v6.4) and overlays H1, H3 and H4. When I load the VASL file, an error occurs:

VASL LOS disabled - unexpected error: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot read field "gridWidth" because "map" is null. VASSAL los active
I got the same result when I downloaded old, OLD VASL (6.1). I then brought the scenario up to 6.2.2 and then saved it under VASSAL 3.5.5 and VASL 6.6.2. and still got the same result as etopp.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This is not an error. It is an info message telling you that los doesn’t work on these boards. VASL los has never worked on dessert boards.

I will agree that the message is misleading in that it uses the word error. I will change this in 6.6.3.

Zajuts149

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
While I'm on a roll, it would be cool to be able to make German partially armed FJ squads(pre-42 para drop) into fully armed directly on the counter like you do with casualty reductions instead of having to exchange it from the tray.
View attachment 15677
I did fiddle around in an older version of VASL, and managed to make a layer on the German FJ squad to be able to give it underscore morale.

Attachments

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan

etopp

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Please change the hex color on the Desert Boards (including Steppe Terrain) to white if the Weather is Snow

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Setting up J164 "Aiding the Local Constabulary" and one of the transformations required is "Marsh becomes Level -1 Open Ground". Did the Transformation "Marsh" to "Level -1" and it does diddly-squat on either board 40 or 3a, so I'm guessing that it flat-out just doesn't work on any board, which of course raises the question of why is it even in the menu?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Setting up J164 "Aiding the Local Constabulary" and one of the transformations required is "Marsh becomes Level -1 Open Ground". Did the Transformation "Marsh" to "Level -1" and it does diddly-squat on either board 40 or 3a, so I'm guessing that it flat-out just doesn't work on any board, which of course raises the question of why is it even in the menu?

View attachment 18788
There have been longstanding problems with Marsh transformations. I have been working on them and at least some problems will be fixed in 6.6.3. No guarantee that they will all be.

My sense is that this set of transformation is a bit of a catch-all. I would be surprised if each and every possible permutation and combination actually worked.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

View attachment 18788
Hi Bruce,

you could implement the "Marsh becomes Level -1 Open Ground" SSR the following way:

Use Draggable Overlays and pull them onto the Marsh hexes. Not exactly elegant, but it would serve the purpose.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have a suggestion, prompted when my opponent did not know that M4 in the British Main Tank selection would lead to the various Shermans that they used. Perhaps change "<M4(a)" to "<Shermans(a)"; the middle column was collapsed when he first opened the MT selection.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Posted this in another thread but then I remembered this one so..............

The INOR map version that I have has all the "right hand" (i.e, eastern) side of the map hexes labeled with a '2' prefix. For example hex 2U44 is actually hex UU44.

In addition every other hex row of the whole map (i.e., B, D, F, etc.) are off by one hex (i.e., they report as B0, D0, F0, etc.) but are actually labeled on the map as B1, D1, F1, etc.

I mention this because I was scratching my head looking at the setup instructions and wondering where the heck hexes L0 and UU44 were... :)

Thanks for all the work you guys do to make are VASL lives better!

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I like using the draggable hex grid overlay when I have units coming in from off-board. I noticed recently that if I place that overlay in an area where I already have units, that I can no longer move those units. The hex grid overlay also appears "over" the un-movable counters. I'm mostly making people aware of this; if the behaviour can be changed, great. If not, we just don't do that.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Michael, think of the grid as a counter. It will stack just as other counters do and so can be moved within the stack just as other counters can. Use the DownArrow to move it to the bottom of the stack (ie behind the other counters) or UpArrow to move it to the top/front of the stack.

Shift-Click to select the grid overlay if not selected.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I like using the draggable hex grid overlay when I have units coming in from off-board. I noticed recently that if I place that overlay in an area where I already have units, that I can no longer move those units. The hex grid overlay also appears "over" the un-movable counters. I'm mostly making people aware of this; if the behaviour can be changed, great. If not, we just don't do that.

View attachment 19595
Yeah, now that you mention it. It’s the same case if you have a “X-hex from the center perimeter” overlay as well. Thx for mentioning & Doug for the answer

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
There is a counter in the tray that shows the words "Mouse Trap" and resembles a Breach counter. I believe the words should be "Mouse Hole". I don't know why this counter exists, but mouse holes are used in Operation Turnscrew and Ortona: Little Stalingrad, so I am happy to see them. Find them by going Info / Fortify / Cave. If I am correct about Mouse Hole, can we get them changed?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
There is a counter in the tray that shows the words "Mouse Trap" and resembles a Breach counter. I believe the words should be "Mouse Hole". I don't know why this counter exists, but mouse holes are used in Operation Turnscrew and Ortona: Little Stalingrad, so I am happy to see them. Find them by going Info / Fortify / Cave. If I am correct about Mouse Hole, can we get them changed?
It's a link to another game, try it. 😉

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Mouse Hole counters were first (I believe) seen in HoB's God Save the King! The original module didn't contain actual counters (there were paper cut-outs, maybe) but the counters were later physically made available in the countersheet that came with Berlin: Red Vengeance.

dreenstra

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can the functionality for adding a Motion counter directly through the Move sub-menu and the CTRL + O shortcut be added to Motorcycle and Sidecar counters, just like other vehicles?

Thanks,
Dave

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Recently, I notice that the Dice Over The Map are persisting permanently, instead of disappearing after the time specified in the preferences. Anyone else noticing that? VASSAL 3.5.8, VASL 6.6.3

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recently, I notice that the Dice Over The Map are persisting permanently, instead of disappearing after the time specified in the preferences. Anyone else noticing that? VASSAL 3.5.8, VASL 6.6.3
They're disappearing normally for me using the same versions. Unless you have them pinned, then they will persist.