VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Now follows the result in VASL after the Refreshment (in next post):

To my surprise, Names and Labels of counters were converted. I am pretty sure that this did not work when I last meddled with the function a good time back. This is a very significant improvement!

I checked one of the vehicles whether the new v6.6.1 Malfunction Flags work - they did. So obviously conversion took place.

The other issues I saw at first glance seemed comparably minor:

• For Weather and EC, the new counters had the label. This is not really an issue, because the label ('Compass', 'Wind', ...) is, since recently, 'standard setting' in VASL and as such comes as no surprise.
  • In the Turn Track, the 'Red Triangle' and the 'END' counter have switched their - hm - 'layer': The 'Red Triangle' should be beneath the number of the Turn Track and the 'END' counter should be above it.
  • Draggable Overlay Labels usually have two lines. In my experience, you usually use one of both lines to add text and leave the second one empty because the entered text gets 'centered' and not 'left alinged'. Usually, it is the latter, what is mostly needed in my esperience. Anyway, if one of both lines was orginally empty, now the default text for the unused line shows. Here, we have Draggable Overlays with bold letters without background. The entered text in Line 1 was successfully converted, the 'empty' Line two was converted to hold the default text for this Draggable Overlay, i.e. 'no background'

Bottomline based on this test:

The conversion worked remarkably well in this case, requiring only few manual adjustments afterwards (Draggable Overlay Labels: remove default test in unused lines, Turn Track 'layers' of counters, EC counter labels, which aren't a conversion issue though).
Still, it only seems to work if no Extensions are added to VASL.
Still, it remains unclear which counter(s) are not converted.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I am getting increasingly excited! :D

It seems that I can present some more positive findings:

I have just mentioned the problem upthread that if one added external picture sources from the internet embedded in HTML code into a Draggable Overlay, that sometimes VASSAL crashed when trying to open that VASL file, the reason of which I could not exactly pinpoint. The tragic consequence was that I could not access countless old setups in which I had incorporated pictures.

I have tested one of such files with VASSAL v3.2.17 & VASL v6.5.1 - result:

Tried the same with VASSAL v3.4.6 & VASL v6.6.1, the file being created with VASL v6.3.3. in 2017:

First result - I could open the file:

VASL v6.3.3 file with troublesome picture overlay in the upper left corner. Now, the frame is just shown as empty, but VASSAL crashes no longer.

This was a great problem which now seems to be resolved! :love::love::love:

Next finding:

After trying v6.3.3 VASL files, I upped it a bit and took a v5.9.3 VASL file from 2013.

Result - the file could be opened with VASSAL v3.4.6 & VASL v6.6.1:

You can observe the offset which is due to the margin offboard being only 200 pixels until VASL v6.2 where it was increased to 400 pixels.

Now I used the function 'Convert pre-6.2 game' from the VASL Main Map window:

This set the offset straight - a function that has always worked well.

(continued in next post)

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This set the offset straight - a function that has always worked well.

Result:

In the next step I tried the Counter Refresh function (Extension folder empty - no Extensions installed while doing this) for this ancient VASL v5.9.3 file.

Result:

It works! Have a look at the Wasp counter!

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This means that two major issues seem to have been resolved:

• The external picture linked in HTML Code in Draggable Overlay bug that could crash VASSAL - apparently fixed by the new VASSAL version.
  • The updating of counters even from VASL versions as old as v5.9.3 now seems to work without loss of counter-labels and counter-names (as long as no Extensions are installed).
The minor issues that remain as part of the 'Refreshment' process require only a bit of manual attention and - who knows - might be fixable in general.

The implications are superb!

Now, the quick updating of old VASL setups is possible.

Once more - cheers to the code-gnomes! ?

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I found a bug (VASSAL v3.4.8 with VASL v6.6.1):

In the Terrain Transformations window, selecting the option 'Use Desert Colors for ETO boards' from the 'DTO Transformations' in the dropdown will disable the LOS-Tool, i.e. no snapping to grid, no showing of LOS being blocked etc.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The question came up if it is somehow possible for Windows and dividing bars within windows to 'remember' their position. Bruce mentioned here that he was once told some VASSAL limitation prevented this, see here.

As we have seen quite some work going on on VASSAL, maybe it is possible to fix this now, so I thought I just might bring it to attention to @uckelman here.

In case this is a VASL issue, I crossposted this here, too.

von Marwitz

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
This is a very minor thing, that only comes up under certain transformation conditions:

Board 42, hex M2, the VASL map artwork has a very narrow "open ground" gap between the hedge artwork and the grain artwork. There is no such gap on the physical map -- the grain artwork touches the hedge artwork.

(I thought maybe this was an artefact from the old mounted bd42 artwork -- but that was "faulty" in a different way -- the hedge artwork didn't run along the hexsides! However, even so, the grain still touched the hedge at all points.)

And if someone is looking at the bd42 artwork to fix this, could they also look at the wall --> hedge transform artwork? If you turn the walls into hedges, the resulting hedges look exactly like green walls (i.e., very straight edges). (Although maybe that happens on all boards? I haven't checked.)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
There used to be a function which displayed the inventory of the boards in play:

Clicking on it displays this window (VASSAL v3.4.11 and VASL v6.6.1):

I cannot remember, if this function was part of an Extension or not, but I seem to recall that it listed all units in the form of the picture of stacks with map coordinates. That way, you could easily see which units were broken or malfed, which was especially useful in high counter-density scenarios.

Now, this function or Extension seems defunct.

My opponent today told me that the if he attempted to have broken/malfed stuff displayed, that vehicles with the new 'Bad Things' flags were not shown either. This is somewhat confusing to me now, as my function does not show any inventory at all. I did not have the opportunity yet to inquire what he meant exactly or if he has some sort of function/Extension which I don't have.

So questions go out to the VASL cabal and the hive mind:

Is there a working 'Inventory' function somewhere?

TIA,
von Marwitz

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I can tell you that this is definitely an extension. It no longer works for me as well (3.4.10 & 6.6.1). The extension is called "MapInv.mdx".

etopp

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I find it very hard to see the difference between Shallow Ocean and Deep Ocean hexes on the Gavutu-Tanambogo (v1.0) map. Can someone please make these easier to tell apart?

Zajuts149

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Some squads have the ability to add an underscore on the FP value to give assault fire(e.g. SS 658s in 44-45). Is it possible to add the ability to underscore all the values for all squads, to give Assault Fire, Spraying Fire and/or ELR=5 to squads in a given scenario?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Some squads have the ability to add an underscore on the FP value to give assault fire(e.g. SS 658s in 44-45). Is it possible to add the ability to underscore all the values for all squads, to give Assault Fire, Spraying Fire and/or ELR=5 to squads in a given scenario?
It is possible for Assault Fire.

Right click on elegible units to open the context menu. There you can select the option:

Then you have counters that you can configure yourself. These are pretty much useless, as they do not allow to set any underscores and not even any value at all for the broken side.

von Marwitz

user2day

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Suggestion: A SASL suspect counter rendered in SASL-purple would be convenient to use as Advance suspect counters when Random Events conspire to deliver both Hold and Advance suspect counters in one game. I tried making one myself but was unable to figure out how to make an extension to add a counter.

Zajuts149

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
It is possible for Assault Fire.

Right click on elegible units to open the context menu. There you can select the option:

View attachment 15667

Then you have counters that you can configure yourself. These are pretty much useless, as they do not allow to set any underscores and not even any value at all for the broken side.

View attachment 15668

von Marwitz
Yes, that's what I meant. There are a few other squads that have the ability too. What I wondered, is if it is possible to make a prototype(I think it is called. I haven't dabbled in doing Vassal stuff for ages) that could be attached to ALL squads, that allow you to underscore whichever value you liked.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yes, that's what I meant. There are a few other squads that have the ability too. What I wondered, is if it is possible to make a prototype(I think it is called. I haven't dabbled in doing Vassal stuff for ages) that could be attached to ALL squads, that allow you to underscore whichever value you liked.
This is a good suggestion. I second it.

von Marwitz

Zajuts149

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
This is a good suggestion. I second it.

von Marwitz
While I'm on a roll, it would be cool to be able to make German partially armed FJ squads(pre-42 para drop) into fully armed directly on the counter like you do with casualty reductions instead of having to exchange it from the tray.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
If I am understanding things correctly, this is a bug report. I have been playing a lot of night scenarios, so I eventually had night scenarios with OBA in all its forms. A HE concentration overlay on a VASL night display shows as illuminated, which it should, because the FFE hexes are treated as though they have Gunflash counters. A Harassing Fire overlay also shows as illuminated. My most recent night scenario has a Creeping Barrage. The Creeping Barrage overlay does not show as illuminated.

The relevant rule is:

E1.87 SR/FFE: All hexes in the Blast Area of a HE FFE are considered marked by Gunflashes. A SR is not a Gunflash, but can be seen by Observers (only) regardless of NVR.