VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is my first time posting to this thread and I haven't read the 23 pages prior... so apologies if this has been suggested before but there is a simple item that would come in extremely handy... an open ground and roads overlay for off board entry... just plain open ground five hexes deep with geomorphic roads and the forward board edge ending in half hexes. There are work arounds with the boards that currently exist but in practice it can be amazingly fiddly to create a good offboard entry board. If I knew how to code my way out of a paperbag I'd make the overlay myself... but I don't... someone?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I think that there already is an open ground board as you mentioned, I think its called board 00 or 0 or somesuch.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is my first time posting to this thread and I haven't read the 23 pages prior... so apologies if this has been suggested before but there is a simple item that would come in extremely handy... an open ground and roads overlay for off board entry... just plain open ground five hexes deep with geomorphic roads and the forward board edge ending in half hexes. There are work arounds with the boards that currently exist but in practice it can be amazingly fiddly to create a good offboard entry board. If I knew how to code my way out of a paperbag I'd make the overlay myself... but I don't... someone?

Don has it right. Board 00. You can crop it to the size you desire.

Al

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm suggesting an overlay because they're much easier to work with than actual boards. I've used board 00 and cropped it for off board entry many times...... but when other boards have cropping or other issues... cropping the entry board can become extremely fiddly... you can't have multiple instances of a board _and_ crop them. So if you need entry from more than one edge you are out of luck. It's the Fiddling with board 00 that has prompted me to ask for an overlay! Something like 00 but in overlay form would be very handy. Perhaps I have to learn how to make VASL overlays myself? Dang.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm suggesting an overlay because they're much easier to work with than actual boards. I've used board 00 and cropped it for off board entry many times...... but when other boards have cropping or other issues... cropping the entry board can become extremely fiddly... you can't have multiple instances of a board _and_ crop them. So if you need entry from more than one edge you are out of luck. It's the Fiddling with board 00 that has prompted me to ask for an overlay! Something like 00 but in overlay form would be very handy. Perhaps I have to learn how to make VASL overlays myself? Dang.
I use one of the Cave Complex overlays. See if those work for you.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use one of the Cave Complex overlays. See if those work for you.
I currently use the beach overlay... it's works well enough... I'm not suggesting a dedicated entry-board overlay because I have no workarounds, but because it would be tidier and more aesthetically pleasing to have the half hexes match up and all the hexes be light green, etc.

The board 00 approach is the go to method for most players doing setup I think -- but the peculiarities of cropping maps in VASL make it less than ideal.

There are even a few (only a few, I think) scenarios which can't be set up in VASL at all because of board cropping issues. (I've tried using the one pixel board and various tricks... sometimes it works, but more often it ends in tears) ... I wonder if a few map-trouble scenarios couldn't be made VASL playable with some creative overlays.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
The board 00 approach is the go to method for most players doing setup I think -- but the peculiarities of cropping maps in VASL make it less than ideal.
Personally I've never seen anyone bother to add extra boards for off-board hexes. I always just use the 1 hex overlay from the map annotations if I ever find the need to denote off-board hexes and that's I've seen others do. But as you say:
it would be tidier and more aesthetically pleasing to have the half hexes match up and all the hexes be light green, etc.
Not going to deny it doesn't look as nice as a real hex but I like to get in-and-done with my setups. The hexes are usually only useful for 1/2 of a Game Turn at most. :)

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 7.19.57 PM.png

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not going to deny it doesn't look as nice as a real hex but I like to get in-and-done with my setups. The hexes are usually only useful for 1/2 of a Game Turn at most. :)
Interesting, I hadn't ever seen anyone use overlays for off-board until just recently (the scenario I'm currently playing.) The hexes are only useful for a 1/2 turn is why overlays are better than board cropping... but we come from different schools of Set Up... I do a whole elaborate seven course meal place-setting type set up..... with all the SSR's bullet pointed... various map annotations for objecties and reinforcements. and boundaries... salad fork to the outside of the dinner fork and the napkin properly folded... etc. A great game, like a great meal, deserves some ceremony! Frankly while I'm asking for things I'd like a nicer compass rose.That little north pointing counter is functional sure, but it's not elegant. A transparent compass rose overlay that could be dropped onto a corner of the map would be tasty!

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I missed that you were specifically suggesting an overlay. Your reasoning makes perfect sense. I can do it for you. Life stuff all this week. I can get to it after.

Al

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I missed that you were specifically suggesting an overlay. Your reasoning makes perfect sense. I can do it for you. Life stuff all this week. I can get to it after.

Al
Not for me! For everybody (who likes tidy setups)

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not for me! For everybody (who likes tidy setups)
Here's a basic overlay. In keeping with the KISS principal, will this work well enough even without the OG shading and the roads and woods?

SetUpOverlay.gif

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Here's a basic overlay. In keeping with the KISS principal, will this work well enough even without the OG shading and the roads and woods?
Would it be possible to just use the bd00 graphic as the overlay graphic (or a second overlay graphic)? Just thinking out loud about the use case described.

(edit) running with that thought, perhaps convert one of the desert boards into a desert off-board overlay and then drop a snow one. I think that would cover all the aesthetic needs?

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it's great and will get a lot of use. Is it much trouble to make a second one for the shortedge?

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Would it be possible to just use the bd00 graphic as the overlay graphic (or a second overlay graphic)? Just thinking out loud about the use case described.

(edit) running with that thought, perhaps convert one of the desert boards into a desert off-board overlay and then drop a snow one. I think that would cover all the aesthetic needs?
You know... I personally think the blank is one just right (maybe with generic black and white road lines would be perfect). It establishes a clean hex-grid without suggesting it's in play the way a fully colored one would.

A half-board size just like it will also come in handy when OBA and Sniper's drift off the map.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
You know... I personally think the blank is one just right (maybe with generic black and white road lines would be perfect). It establishes a clean hex-grid without suggesting it's in play the way a fully colored one would.

A half-board size just like it will also come in handy when OBA and Sniper's drift off the map.
Okie, just covering for the "zomg, you don't listen to users and just do what you want" crowd.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

You’ve captured my thoughts exactly.

Been experimenting with this overlay. Since overlays can’t be cropped, there will need to be several sizes of this set up overlay. As much as I agree that generic road lines would be a handy reference, they do limit the placement possibilities of the overlay. Better to leave them off I think. I’ll put together a few sizes in a module extension for testing. Once we find a design that works, I’ll add it to the official overlay extension.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
There's an error in the Board 22 Special Overlays transformation for "White Tigers": There is supposed to be a ford in hex R7. The flooded stream artwork in that hex looks a bit weird, but it doesn't look like a ford (and it's kind of super important).