VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Philippe,
I just completed updating my own VASL version of BtB1, and have had no problem placing overlay X14 over BFP-C, after first putting down overlay BFPVi. I'm using VASL4.2beta under VASSAL 3.2.17. What are you using?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thx JR. I’ll get that fixed.

Edit: bdv is fixed and available for download on the VASL webpage.

Last edited:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The updated VASLOverlays extension is posted. Version 1.02 is available for download here. It includes most, if not all, of the AH/MMP vaslized overlays. Some third party overlays like all of BFPs are also included. If there's an overlay you need but it isn't included, please let me know. You can also try the old system but the old system will no longer be supported.

Add the extension to your vasl extension folder then be sure to read the help file:

VASLOverlayHelp.jpg

Enjoy your games!

Allan

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
The updated VASLOverlays extension is posted. Version 1.02 is available for download here. It includes most, if not all, of the AH/MMP vaslized overlays. Some third party overlays like all of BFPs are also included. If there's an overlay you need but it isn't included, please let me know. You can also try the old system but the old system will no longer be supported.

Add the extension to your vasl extension folder then be sure to read the help file:

View attachment 3311

Enjoy your games!

Allan
SNAFU OR FUBAR, THAT IS THE QUESTION...

My VASL Help tree looks nothing like yours, and I think I'm missing a very important piece of the puzzle here.
I got rid of the old draggable overlay files by rendering them "overlays_old",
I did this because the problem I'm having is clearly on my end, not yours.

New problem -- I cannot make VASL recognize VASLOverlays_102 in my extensions. I'm must leave for a VA appointment in 15 minutes, so I won't be able to work this problem until tonight or tomorrow.

Later,
Larry

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Board 79 (v6.0), when transforming board to Deep Snow and the river to "Flooded", all the marsh hexes flood properly except F7. Using VASSAL 3.2.17 and VASL 6.4.1

VASL-bd79-flooded.jpg

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Angie. I knew this when I put the board out there but never dreamed it’d be discovered so quickly

The problem occurs because F7 is adjacent to a woods hex so under PTO it transforms to a swamp. The RGB colors for the F7 marsh do not transform like you note when the river is flooded or for snow. I didn’t have time to research a fix at the time and thought it was better to put the board out there sooner rather than later. I’ll try to find a fix ASAP.

Until then, I think there is a draggable overlay for a flooded hex or a snow hex that you can use as a temporary fix. I’m away from my computer so can’t check this to be sure.

I’m interested in how you discovered this. Is there a scenario that calls for snow and flooded? Can you have snow and flooded? I never considered that as a possibility but there’s so much to ASL that I don’t know.

Good find Augie. Thanks for pointing it out. I hope the temp fix will work for you.

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Angie. I knew this when I put the board out there but never dreamed it’d be discovered so quickly

The problem occurs because F7 is adjacent to a woods hex so under PTO it transforms to a swamp. The RGB colors for the F7 marsh do not transform like you note when the river is flooded or for snow. I didn’t have time to research a fix at the time and thought it was better to put the board out there sooner rather than later. I’ll try to find a fix ASAP.

Until then, I think there is a draggable overlay for a flooded hex or a snow hex that you can use as a temporary fix. I’m away from my computer so can’t check this to be sure.

I’m interested in how you discovered this. Is there a scenario that calls for snow and flooded? Can you have snow and flooded? I never considered that as a possibility but there’s so much to ASL that I don’t know.

Good find Augie. Thanks for pointing it out. I hope the temp fix will work for you.
I agree it is easy to work around. I am not too particular in VASL, since in F2F games you have to mentally change a lot of terrain anyways. I just thought to point it out if it was not known.

Flooded and Snow/Deep Snow are not mutually exclusive in ASL, so it is possible - albeit it would be rare. It may not have ever been done in an SSR before - I don't offhand recall of a scenario with both in play.

I discovered it because I am attempting to design a new scenario, and this board and these conditions will potentially be used.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Until then, I think there is a draggable overlay for a flooded hex or a snow hex that you can use as a temporary fix.
Better to leave the green in play, unless the scenario involves no vehicles. Being flooded doesn't remove the potential for adjacent-hex bog, which is why the marsh symbols need to be there.

Is there a scenario that calls for snow and flooded?
I know of at least one, but it isn't published yet and doesn't use bd79. :)

Can you have snow and flooded?
There's no rules reason why not. Usually if there's ground snow the water will be frozen. For a (normal) Level -1 river, flooded and frozen means that the water becomes open ground at Level 0. In the past VASL hasn't been able to cope with that at all (during playtesting of the scenario mentioned above), it was literally impossible (in VASL) to flood and freeze ... you could do one or the other, but not both. That was a few versions back, though, maybe that issue got resolved in v6, I never bothered to check.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Augie and Bruce,

Good to know, thanks. I can easily do a specific board overlay for your scenario. Just let me know what you need.

Al

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Board 79 (v6.0), when transforming board to Deep Snow and the river to "Flooded", all the marsh hexes flood properly except F7. Using VASSAL 3.2.17 and VASL 6.4.1

View attachment 3418
I went into this. Looking up the Baedecker guide on Board 79, I found out that F7 is the site of the famous thermal springs that don't freeze in winter. Many tourists are attracted to the site because monkeys with typewriters can be seen bathing there in the hot water in winter to avoid the cold. :D

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Board 62 (v6.1), when using "Other Transformations" and selecting "Light Woods", none of the bd62 woods transforms. Using VASSAL 3.2.17 and VASL 6.4.1
Bd62_noLightWoods.jpg

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
May have missed that one. Thanks Augie, I'll get that fixed.

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

View attachment 3311

Enjoy your games!

Allan
Hi Allan,
I just found this VERY helpful post on the new Overlays Extension by chance while in this "VASL map problem" subsection. I can imagine many people not being aware, since they would not visit here often, and it is really not a "Map Problem either" (i.e. this is a great new feature - which I REALLY like). Can you re-post in the main forum? I think it will get wider adaptation there, as well as avoid potential questions on overlays.

Thanks for all the hard work.
Augie

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Hi Allan,
I just found this VERY helpful post on the new Overlays Extension by chance while in this "VASL map problem" subsection. I can imagine many people not being aware, since they would not visit here often, and it is really not a "Map Problem either" (i.e. this is a great new feature - which I REALLY like). Can you re-post in the main forum? I think it will get wider adaptation there, as well as avoid potential questions on overlays.

Augie
I actually prefer the old method. Just tell the computer where to put the overlay vs find the overlay, find where to put it and then drag it there.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I actually prefer the old method. Just tell the computer where to put the overlay vs find the overlay, find where to put it and then drag it there.
Primary advantages of the overlay extension would be: DYO and scenario designers, uncommon arrangements (e.g. off-board), fixing some historical VASL mistakes with overlay naming (extra/missing numbers), and removing the requirement to maintain your overlays folder (the images are in the extension).

In addition to the those above, I like the fact that I can see immediately what is going onto the board and where like I can with cardboard. I'm a big fan of the "like-cardboard" features in VASL. Makes for more intuitive play, IMO.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Allan,

Augie
Good suggestion Augie. I’ll start a new topic in the main VASL forum.

edit: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/vasl-overlay-extension.146180/

Last edited:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the input Mike. I know you’re an active player so I value your opinion. I enjoy your AARs.

The old system isn’t going away for a while. It’s not being updated however so eventually it’s useabilty will decline unless a volunteer steps up to maintain it. In addition to the benefits zgrose mentioned up thread, the new system is much easier to produce overlays for.

It’d be cool to have more scenario specific board files. I’m willing to create these for players who request them. I did one recently for Waterfoul. Hmmm, need to get that uploaded to the VASL site but I digress.

Enjoy your games Mike. And please keep the suggestions coming. It’s nice to be able to give back to this community. If you have a scenario specific board request, let me know.

Allan

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Board 62 (v6.1), when using "Other Transformations" and selecting "Light Woods", none of the bd62 woods transforms. Using VASSAL 3.2.17 and VASL 6.4.1
bd62 version 6.2 will be available soon and adds lightwoods. Give it a few hours from now and it should automatically update when you open VASL and select bd62.

As a side note, there are quite a few other boards that don't have the lightwoods transform available. Updating a board for download takes a bit of time and since lightwoods are rarely invoked by SSR, I didn't think it the best use of limited time to update boards for this reason only. I will make it so that a board updated for any other reason will also update lightwoods as well.

That all being said, if you need a lightwoods board, please let me know and I'm more than willing to make it available to you asap.

Allan

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
bd62 version 6.2 will be available soon and adds lightwoods. Give it a few hours from now and it should automatically update when you open VASL and select bd62.

As a side note, there are quite a few other boards that don't have the lightwoods transform available. Updating a board for download takes a bit of time and since lightwoods are rarely invoked by SSR, I didn't think it the best use of limited time to update boards for this reason only. I will make it so that a board updated for any other reason will also update lightwoods as well.

That all being said, if you need a lightwoods board, please let me know and I'm more than willing to make it available to you asap.

Allan
Thanks. Also I would agree that it is a low priority. Out of all the transformations, light woods falls under "almost unnecessary". It is quite ez to get along without the transformation