VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Boards 1-4 have a special scenario overlay for O "The St. Goar Assault", depicting the fog and water half-hexes along one side. However, this occurs on the 'x10' hexrow on each board. On board 4, this should actually be on the 'x0' hexrow (its orientation is reversed from all the others). I'm also not sure depicting the fog that way is a great idea, since it can go away. Though I suppose it beats not depicting it.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Setting up 185 (or A73) "Not Out of the Woods Yet" on VASL is quite a pain. Although you can crop the boards as the scenario card advises, it's actually preferable not to, because there is important board-edge and just-off-board terrain that you will lose if you do so -- e.g., hexsides 6Q1-R0 and 6Q1-R1 are bocage, which is quite important given that German reinforcements can enter crossing those hexsides. Unfortunately, as soon as you start adding additional hexrows to make all this visible, the map alignment gets hopelessly skewed. I finally arrived at a somewhat satisfactory solution by setting up bd39+spare board on top row and bd00+bd06 on bottom row; bd39 is cropped P-GG, "spare board" is cropped A-B, bd00 is cropped FF-GG, and bd06 is cropped A-R.

Second problem is that the overlays along the join between bds 39 and 06 (O5, Wd1 and M2) only show up on the board they are placed on. To have them show up on both boards you have to place each one twice, e.g., O5 is placed normally as 39CC10-DD10, and then placed again as 06M0-N0.

Finally the hedges and walls all transform to bocage, except that on board 06 transformed walls look like off-colour walls, and transformed hedges look like off-colour hedges. Since they're both supposed to be the same terrain type, shouldn't they look like the same terrain type?

I don't know that there's any easy VASL solution for any of these issues, but thought it worth mentioning.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll take a look at it Bruce. Maybe there is an easy solution with an SSO. Would you volunteer to test it if I created one?

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Well, I don't know about "testing", I'm finished with the scenario now and not likely to be playing it again any time soon -- but I'm happy to look at whatever you come up with.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Playing a Normandy scenario last night - we found that the terrain chart lists the fully tracked cost for crossing bocage as 2+COT whereas it should be Z + COT, Z being a reference to half the vehicle's MPs. I am using 6.3.3

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Are you using 1.2.1 of the terrain chart extension?

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
I have noticed a problem with Japanese crew counters -- namely, their inability to become Fanatic.

The HoB button is there, but clicking on it does not result in a "Fanatic" Japanese crew counter.

I first noticed this while testing 6.40beta, but it appears to have started showing up in 6.3.3. I realize (from sully) that the VASL crew does not have a counter-twiddler right now (there's precious little to twiddle on), but it does not appear that this particular oversight would require much twiddling. Perhaps a budding troll would like to take a crack at it.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Is it time to have the VASL link redirect to vasl.info instead...? Who is running the show over there?

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Per A15.1, crews are not subject to HOB?
This is true, but there are plenty of SSR-specific instances of all units (or all MMC) of one side to become Fanatic under particular scenario-specific conditions. Of course, you can always use a Fanatic counter, but being able to adjust the unit's counter directly would be convenient.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
This is true, but there are plenty of SSR-specific instances of all units (or all MMC) of one side to become Fanatic under particular scenario-specific conditions. Of course, you can always use a Fanatic counter, but being able to adjust the unit's counter directly would be convenient.
I suspect people have become accustomed, rightly or wrongly, to VASL "enforcing" the standard rules of the game. For example, you don't get to choose which unit you ELR/BH into, that information is encoded into the counter/module/etc. It's basically the way the counters were conceived of in days long past and is one of the reasons the PiF counters are so problematic to setup.

Personally I think the cardboard-esque solution (in this case, dropping a counter on top) is usually the best one in the long run. But that's probably my personal bias since I help cook/maintain the spaghetti and you guys mostly just eat it. :D

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Um, that's fine, I guess, but doesn't really address the problem. As always a picture is worth a hundred-or-so words.

You'll see in the attachment that the Japanese crew pulled from the "HS" tray has two "HOB" menus. The first one (which includes Berserk as well as Fanatic -- there's really no justification for the Berserk to be there) works normally. The second one is empty.

That was my first test. Then it gets weirder. Checking the counters again, the first HOB menu contained only "Berserk". The second HOB menu contained only "Fanatic". ???

Crew counters from other nationalities, and Japanese crew counters pulled from the "SQ" tray, have a single HOB menu that contains a single entry (Fanatic). I have no idea what's going on with these counters, but it ain't right. Repeating, it's only the Japanese crew counters from the "HS" tray that are affected.
Jap_Crew_Menu.jpg

I should add that I didn't get a "no response" error from clicking either the Berserk or Fanatic options, as mentioned above. They correctly tagged the counter with the selected option (and selecting it again removed the tag). So it just appears to be something strange going on with the context menus attached to those counters.

This was all with VASSAL 3.2.16, VASL 6.3.3.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Well that gives me something nice and specific to look for in the module file, I'll take a peek tomorrow.