VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Adding light woods transforms is a work in progress. I'll see if I can get bd44 moved up in the queue.

The overlay transforms are definitely longer term.

Allan

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not surprised (especially on the overlays), but the other three boards worked, and I think they all had the same version number....

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"No Hills" (and probably a lot of other transformations) doesn't work on board e. A special 'no building' overlay for board h for D16 Clay Pigeons would be nice (can be done with the draggable overlays, which really need a proper DASL set done).

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Happy to report that a deluxe set is done. You'll see it shortly. I'll look into the other issues. What scenario uses no hills for bde?

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
D16 Clay Pigeons (from Streets of Fire), same as the no building part.

And just came across another one, DA1 L'Ecole Normale ('A89) needs a scenario overlay to turn building cH4 into woods.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bd44 light woods is done. I'll get it uploaded in the morning.

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Woo!

Further Deluxe notes:
DA2 Last Act in Lorraine: all woods and brush are orchard (boards b, d, f, h). Partly doable with draggable overlays, but there's gully-woods, gully-brush (d) and woods-road (h) to transform. (Note: these will be out-of-season orchards.)
DA4 The Island: all marsh is brush (boards g, h).

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm adding all these to my list Rindis. I couldn't upload bd44 today because my SourceTree program crashed. Got it up and running again so should get to it tomorrow.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Updated boards 42, 43, 44, 45, 48, and 49 with light woods. Should update automatically next time you open 'em in VASL. Else you can download it from VASL.info.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Deluxe overlays are available now in the VASL 6.4 beta release. link

LaFajita

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have installed VASL6.4 beta, and I have got the VASL Overlays Extension working.
PROBLEM -- Once I set the Draggable Overlay in place, move off the overlay, I can't move it, or delete it, or do anything with it. Is this a bug or a feature with the current level of 6.4?

Also, there are a LOT of building overlays that have not been done yet. I'm assuming we are waiting for the next level of beta
or the next level of overlay extensions. I have not yet tested the boards; Rindis seems to have this in hand.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have installed VASL6.4 beta, and I have got the VASL Overlays Extension working.
PROBLEM -- Once I set the Draggable Overlay in place, move off the overlay, I can't move it, or delete it, or do anything with it. Is this a bug or a feature with the current level of 6.4?

Also, there are a LOT of building overlays that have not been done yet. I'm assuming we are waiting for the next level of beta
or the next level of overlay extensions. I have not yet tested the boards; Rindis seems to have this in hand.
use alt+click to re-select an overlay

More overlays will be added in time. Eventually all overlays will be incorporated into the overlay extension.

There is a help file you may find useful. It's available under the help menu on the vasl window.

Help.jpg

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Disregard problem report. Overlay issue was due to someone using the pathing referent '0verlay' instead of 'Overlay'.

BD

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
With VASL v6.4 close at hand (Three cheers to all the code gnomes, map elves, and counter smiths involved!) this suggestion might come a bit late:

It would be fabulous if VASL had a more thorough function to update existing vasl-files created with older versions.

There is some things we already have:

The Convert pre-6.2 game function
Can be found at the bottom of the dropdown list of the "Orange Soldier" button in the VASL map window. This one works like a charm to fix the the "offset" associated with the broadening of the margin offmap introduced with VASL v6.2.

The Counter Refresher
The what? Try the 'Tools' menu in the VASL controls window...
I have tried to use this now and then, but even with relatively new versions of VASL/VASSAL, it does have its difficulties (VASSAL v3.2.16 and a file created with VASL v6.2.2 in case of an attempt which created the following error message).

upload_2017-3-22_13-27-27.png

I have not yet fully grokked under which circumstances it fully works and under which it partly works. Illumination would be welcome as to what combinations of VASSAL/VASL are theoretically necessary to make work and since which versions GamePiece IDs exist.

If it works, I have had cases that, say, 95 out of 100 counters were refreshed (i.e. newest versions pulled to replace old ones). However, there was no way to find out which ones were NOT refreshed automatically by the function. Which compromises the whole thing in a way.

People have sunk hundreds of hours into creating VASL setup-files. They all become increasingly obsolete within the passage of a few years due to new VASL/VASSAL versions. Meanwhile some people have figured out how to create some very nice and elaborate setups so it is a pity of seeing their work going to waste eventually. At vasl.info you can find VASL setup files for all (older) core modules for VASL v5.3 IIRC. Not as elaborate as more recent ones, but still: Whoever created all that back then will surely never ever again go through the same pain for VASL v5.4, v5.9.3, v6.1, v6.2.2, v6.3.3, v6.4, ...

If there were some sort of system or converter that would manage the transition to newer VASL versions better, maybe more people would be induced to dedicate some time into creating setup-files for the benefit of the community and maybe collections had a chance to develop and to expand before becoming obsolete in short order.

von Marwitz

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With VASL v6.4 close at hand (Three cheers to all the code gnomes, map elves, and counter smiths involved!) this suggestion might come a bit late:

It would be fabulous if VASL had a more thorough function to update existing vasl-files created with older versions.

There is some things we already have:

The Convert pre-6.2 game function
Can be found at the bottom of the dropdown list of the "Orange Soldier" button in the VASL map window. This one works like a charm to fix the the "offset" associated with the broadening of the margin offmap introduced with VASL v6.2.

The Counter Refresher
The what? Try the 'Tools' menu in the VASL controls window...
I have tried to use this now and then, but even with relatively new versions of VASL/VASSAL, it does have its difficulties (VASSAL v3.2.16 and a file created with VASL v6.2.2 in case of an attempt which created the following error message).

View attachment 1367

I have not yet fully grokked under which circumstances it fully works and under which it partly works. Illumination would be welcome as to what combinations of VASSAL/VASL are theoretically necessary to make work and since which versions GamePiece IDs exist.

If it works, I have had cases that, say, 95 out of 100 counters were refreshed (i.e. newest versions pulled to replace old ones). However, there was no way to find out which ones were NOT refreshed automatically by the function. Which compromises the whole thing in a way.

People have sunk hundreds of hours into creating VASL setup-files. They all become increasingly obsolete within the passage of a few years due to new VASL/VASSAL versions. Meanwhile some people have figured out how to create some very nice and elaborate setups so it is a pity of seeing their work going to waste eventually. At vasl.info you can find VASL setup files for all (older) core modules for VASL v5.3 IIRC. Not as elaborate as more recent ones, but still: Whoever created all that back then will surely never ever again go through the same pain for VASL v5.4, v5.9.3, v6.1, v6.2.2, v6.3.3, v6.4, ...

If there were some sort of system or converter that would manage the transition to newer VASL versions better, maybe more people would be induced to dedicate some time into creating setup-files for the benefit of the community and maybe collections had a chance to develop and to expand before becoming obsolete in short order.

von Marwitz
The refresh should work on all CORE VASL counters. It may NOT work on all extension counters; that depends on how the author set them up.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The refresh should work on all CORE VASL counters. It may NOT work on all extension counters; that depends on how the author set them up.
Thanks for the feedback, David.

Usually, I am not using extension counters (except maybe for some minor stuff offboard or for TPP scenarios that do require them).

Could you please elaborate what you mean with that it depends on how the author set them up?
Do they have to setup up on a VASL board maybe or should it also work if they are placed offboard?
Since which VASL version should the refresch work (as you said I will only work if the units to be refreshed have some sort of index that counters of certain old versions do not have IIRC)?

If I know more about the details, I might be able to figure out why I seem to have trouble with it.

von Marwitz

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It depends on the properties of the counter itself. Any modern counter will have a hidden 'ID' number. The refresh takes a look at the ID of an in use counter, and then updates it to what a counter with that ID would look like now with any changes in definitions, commands, ect.

This didn't originally exist in Vassal, and even if you are using main module counters, if your save file is old enough its possible that they don't have that field and can't be automatically updated. I have no idea when the ID properties made it into VASL counters though. And extension counters may or may not have them (any relatively recent extension should have IDs automatically).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It depends on the properties of the counter itself. Any modern counter will have a hidden 'ID' number. The refresh takes a look at the ID of an in use counter, and then updates it to what a counter with that ID would look like now with any changes in definitions, commands, ect.
Which means that at least from a certain point in time (which we have not precisely pinpointed yet), the update of old setup files should indeed work 100%.

That would be great step forward.

von Marwitz