Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
As many players are using the LOS thread to indicate who fires at what I'd like you to add a setting that centers the map on the ending point of the LOS thread. Very useful in large scnearios/CGs
First time I ever heard of that. Never seen anyone do it.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The SdKfz 10/4 is a unarmored halftrack with a 360 degree mount of a flak gun. I saw recently that the SdKfz 10/4 has no options for turning its turreted armament. Is that normal for this type of VASL counter?
I observed this with the latest VASL/VASSAL build as well. Used a white TCA counter and it was ok, but this should get addressed as low priority sometime.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have three opponents using it. Would you use it?
I would not use it because it makes all the counters disappear. I use the Ctrl-click key combination to highlight the from and to hexes in a live VASL game. In a PBEM game, I type the hex coordinates.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even in a PBEM game using the <CNTRL> <CLICK> method is helpful as it centers the visual on those units saving some time going thru a log (I also call out the hexes in question as an additional action as well).

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
I´ve just noted vz36 Slovakian 81* Minomet mtr VASL counter has s7 and IR in the VASL counter, but not at all in ASL ordnance notes.. Axis Minor Ordnance 28..

Very important in BFP105 scenario

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I needed to use a 75mm Resita M43 AT from the Axis Minors guns (Ordnance Note 4). One of the real counter's backside notes is "Black TH#". The VASL counter has "Mlk TH#".

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Recently, when trying to recreate an SSR calling for Debris, I noticed that there seems to be no Debris Draggable Overlay in VASL except the one for Red Barricades with the characteristic brown/orange background. This background makes it unusable for all other terrain.

I did not use Rubble Draggable Overlays, because possibly Rubble and Debris would co-exist and thus would not be discernable. The SSR called for a change of 'Brush' do 'Debris' (800 Heroes)

As a workaround I used something that *might* be debris from the KGS. First I blotted out Brush with an OG Draggable Overlay and then placed the (possible) KGS Debris on top of that.

Possibly, a future VASL-version could include an 'inherent' Debris Draggable Overlay with only Debris artwork vs. a transparent background.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hm, it might. In fact, I do not have it installed, so if it is in there, that's why I did not see it.

von Marwitz

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
After noticing that the Allied Minor MMC have a "+1 broken morale" option, it would be nice if the same option could be extended to some other MMC types -- the French caught my eye in particular, but might be useful for Axis Minor and Italians as well (if they don't already have the option, I didn't check).

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I found an issue with how VASL interprets HTML code in labels on the counters.

I used the custom terrain chart generator web site. I pasted the generated HTML code into the label of a counter. My terrain included bamboo and VASL displayed the custom terrain chart incorrectly because of the "$" in the infantry movement cost.

There is a dollar sign “$” in this line: <td>M j p s t $</td>NA</td>
There is a dollar sign “$” in this line: $: Stacking limit two if no road, G2.2 & G3.1<br />
VASL stops interpreting the HTML incorrectly when it encounters that “$”. It drops the first dollar sign and “jumps” to the next dollar sign. That is why all the G notes end up in the infantry movement cell.

I was able to obtain a correct chart by substituting "&#36;" for the "$".

Bamboo_NotOK.jpeg Bamboo_OK.jpeg

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I found an issue with how VASL interprets HTML code in labels on the counters.

I used the custom terrain chart generator web site. I pasted the generated HTML code into the label of a counter. My terrain included bamboo and VASL displayed the custom terrain chart incorrectly because of the "$" in the infantry movement cost.

There is a dollar sign “$” in this line: <td>M j p s t $</td>NA</td>
There is a dollar sign “$” in this line: $: Stacking limit two if no road, G2.2 & G3.1<br />
VASL stops interpreting the HTML incorrectly when it encounters that “$”. It drops the first dollar sign and “jumps” to the next dollar sign. That is why all the G notes end up in the infantry movement cell.

I was able to obtain a correct chart by substituting "&#36;" for the "$".
I can't find the documentation for it, but the "$" is significant to java, probably in particular to the java swing framework. I have not looked at the code to verify that, however. It is not a problem with vassal/vasl per se. In addition to using the html substitution, you can also escape the dollar sign using a back slash. This displays as you say: "<html><table><tr><td>abc$</td><td>d$ef</td></tr><tr><td>ghi</td><td>jkl</td></tr></table></html>"; this works as you want it to: "<html><table><tr><td>abc\$</td><td>d\$ef</td></tr><tr><td>ghi</td><td>jkl</td></tr></table></html>". Note the addition of a "\".

JR

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
You know you can have your browser running while you play VASL, right? Why bloat your maps... /rant_off

I believe VASSAL uses $ for delimiting properties , e.g. $foo$ so not surprising. I believe that's why the backslash escape works.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
The French R35 counter is missing the "Low Ground Pressure" square.

The British Carrier MMG A counter is missing the "*ATR: [12]TH; HD FP ok" info note.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Added to the list. Thanks.

The French R35 counter is missing the "Low Ground Pressure" square.

The British Carrier MMG A counter is missing the "*ATR: [12]TH; HD FP ok" info note.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Is the Google Spreadsheet linked in the first message still in practical use? Or should one post directly here with suggestions?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I speak only for myself but I say post here. Never knew there was a google spreadsheet until you mentioned it.

Al

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Light Woods transformation does not work on Board 44 (which is used in scenario 161, which uses Light Woods...). Also, the transformation does not work on the Wd and OW overlays.