VASL map layout and design question

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Im embarking on a long trip of sorts, morphing a photo onto a vasl hex grid and then doing the artwork all while using GIMP. Honestly, its not for the faint of heart but so far so good! Photo found, layered with a hex grid and somewhat lined up.

Q1. As I understand it, in order for VASL program to have the correct co-ordinate reporting, the top left hand corner of the hex grid is A1 ? Or, I seem to recall an A0 mentioned long ago........

Q2. Precisely where is the hex dot of A1 (assuming I was correct)

I will have more questions as I progress, but I need to get this correct before I move along

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Brian

A1. There is flexibility here. You can see VASL boards with A1 and A0. The vast majority use A1 and I would strongly recommend it. But both can work.

A2. In theory any value can be made to work for the centr dot. For geo boards, the standard values are x0 = 0 and Y0 = 32.5. This means that A hexes will be half width and hexes with a 1 coordinate will be full-height (64.47 hexes). If you want the A hexes to be full-width then set X0 = 28.125 (half the standard hex width which is 56.25 Or whatever hex size you use). Basically you use the x0 and y0 values to position the top left hex (usually A1) and the rest of the grid unfolds from there.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The links are all dead, white page with "NO REDIRECT"
Well that's no bueno.

Try this. It's a link to the Dropbox folder where various tutorials and VASL Map School docs have accumulated over the years. The file you want is CleanIDHexgridForGeo v5.psd; search around and you'll find it. And ping me if you have questions about the other stuff in there; the tutorials might or might not be useful to you for what you're trying to do.