VASL is suddenly only able to save files to User folder

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Fired up Vasl to do a setup for a game tomorrow, and I wasn't able to save it to the regular folder. I could only save it to my Windows/User folder. It's certainly never done that before!

I get an error message that states "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission"

But I have full admin privileges and permissions for the folder I am saving to. So I went to the properties window for the VASSAL program, and found that for some reasons the permissions for accounts had been modified. Changed the permissions, then reopened the program, but the error repeated.

Any ideas?

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Edit - But a restart (prolly combined with the steps I took above, seems to have fixed it. How perplexing it is when our computers do things seemingly of their own volition!

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've had the same issue from time-to-time, but it had gone away for a spell before recently recurring....

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
BTW, did you try actually saving a text or whatever file into your saves folder from the windows file explorer when you were poking around or just look at/change permissions?

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I didn't think of that, actually. It seems to be all working now - I suspect that it may have been something to do with my firewall as well.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Next time it happens, give that a try and report what you find. My money is on Windows messing with you rather than VASL messing with you.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I will - although I think you definitely have the odds-on favourite picked, were we to bet!

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Generally when you receive that notification it means you're not logged into your computer as the administrator.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That’s what I thought, too, but it wasn’t the case. It hasn’t repeated, so I’m putting it up to the capriciousness of the computer gods. I’ve sacrificed several MMC since, and that seems to be keeping them happy.