VASL is suddenly only able to save files to User folder

Discussion in 'VASL' started by CTKnudsen, Nov 15, 2017 at 2:07 AM.

1. CTKnudsen

CTKnudsen Active Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Dundurn, Sask.
    Fired up Vasl to do a setup for a game tomorrow, and I wasn't able to save it to the regular folder. I could only save it to my Windows/User folder. It's certainly never done that before!

I get an error message that states "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission"

But I have full admin privileges and permissions for the folder I am saving to. So I went to the properties window for the VASSAL program, and found that for some reasons the permissions for accounts had been modified. Changed the permissions, then reopened the program, but the error repeated.

Any ideas?

2. CTKnudsen

CTKnudsen Active Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Dundurn, Sask.
    Edit - But a restart (prolly combined with the steps I took above, seems to have fixed it. How perplexing it is when our computers do things seemingly of their own volition!

3. Jeffrey D Myers

Jeffrey D Myers Active Member

Aug 12, 2011
    ABQ, NM, USA
    I've had the same issue from time-to-time, but it had gone away for a spell before recently recurring....

4. zgrose

zgrose Active Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Pinole, CA
    BTW, did you try actually saving a text or whatever file into your saves folder from the windows file explorer when you were poking around or just look at/change permissions?

5. CTKnudsen

CTKnudsen Active Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Dundurn, Sask.
    I didn't think of that, actually. It seems to be all working now - I suspect that it may have been something to do with my firewall as well.

6. zgrose

zgrose Active Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Pinole, CA
    Next time it happens, give that a try and report what you find. My money is on Windows messing with you rather than VASL messing with you.

7. CTKnudsen

CTKnudsen Active Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Dundurn, Sask.
    I will - although I think you definitely have the odds-on favourite picked, were we to bet!