VASL improved

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In working on scenario setups, I noticed that VASL did not handle large terrain modifications well. The update that went in 3-3-04 handle the terrain modifications without null or crash-o-matic results. It is not getting all the LOS adjustments straight but the visual no longer bugs out. Rodney continues to do yoeman's work!

Oberst Balck

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
VASL 4.2 is an improvement ???

I wonder HOW something as big as VASL 4.2 can be an improvement. The initial file ( a new type) fails to open and resends to a microsoft site that asks in effect "WTF is this extension".

The Java Runtime is about 100 MB. ( ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!)

Who knows how the bloo%y thing is structured, at least i use to know what was supose to go where.

Just get ver 4 back, get the LOS working for RB, add a few options and lets just have fun.....

Eric

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New computers do not require the Java download as it is already embedded in the system. Once you install the Java upgrade on an older system, VASL and VASSAL both install in a snap. The entire Java 2 runtime environment on my computer is about 87 MB. That came installed. When I installed on a different computer that did not have the latest Java version, it did not take that long and was fairly seemless once I figured it out.

VASL has to make choices. Write for Java that runs on every system regardless of OS or write for Windows, Mac, Linux, etc. etc. The Java runs well and I commend it to your use. I have no connection to Rodney or any one else associated with Rodney. As an end user that has had ASL reopened by VASL alone, I am grateful for its existence and the latest and greatest version is working well now with the memory allocations reset. Perhaps your installation problems are OE.