VASL Freezing on LOS Check

burniefox

Doomsower
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've had a couple instances of a VASL log "freezing" when replayed. In each case this has been on a LOS check. My opponents report this, and the same thing happens when I step through the log myself.

Is this a known issue?

Don't know that I expect anyone to do much, but I was just wondering if others experienced this or if it's just me. I can upload the log file in question if that would be useful.

Thanks-

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
yes, I've seen it. Usually you can wait it out and it will catch up on itself and it will unfreeze. It has happened with a lot of counters in a large game. We're using VASL 6.4.3. It's possible my opponent was on 6.4.2 at the time and he upgraded -- we didn't see this the last time we played.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llPuerto Rico
Thanks for putting this out there.

It's been happening to me in live VASL weekly. Seems to happen only when I play one particular opponent. My whole computer freezes out several times until we abandon the game for the following week.

Do we (my opponent and I) have to match VASL versions ?

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
we have had the same problem, usually one of us has to get out and back into the room or even restart VASL altogether. Never disrupted a game for more than 5 minutes or so, so workable..

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do we (my opponent and I) have to match VASL versions ?
Yup. There was a bug in a previous version of VASL that caused problems during LOS checks.

It's always a good idea for both players to upgrade to the latest version of VASL before reporting bugs.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llPuerto Rico
Yup. There was a bug in a previous version of VASL that caused problems during LOS checks.

It's always a good idea for both players to upgrade to the latest version of VASL before reporting bugs.
Okies .. I am on the test 6.4.5 .. I will take it down one and see. Which VASL version had the LOS issue? I thought that's a while ago.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llPuerto Rico
Alright .. both my opponent and I are on 6.4.4

Froze out my system COMPLETELY when he did a LOS check.

Then we started announcing to the other guy when we decide to a LOS, at which time the non check party touches nothing at all.

Nothing froze with that little procedure. Not sure if that's the proper workaround.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alright .. both my opponent and I are on 6.4.4

Froze out my system COMPLETELY when he did a LOS check.

Then we started announcing to the other guy when we decide to a LOS, in which time the non check party touches nothing at all.

Nothing froze with that little procedure. Not sure if that's the proper workaround.
Occasionally (but not often) my LOS button stays clicked ON (not sure of the reason) and I did have that problem. I simply re-clicked on the LOS toggle and it solved the problem. Perhaps too many thing on the toolbar?

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Hmm ... in Live play, if both players click on the LOS button within some fraction of a second (i.e., near-enough to simultaneous) one of the two will experience the lock up.

Sometimes waiting for a short period will "release" the lock and everything's back to normal. More usually, closing and relaunching VASL is required.

I can't recall both players being affected, so it should always be possible to get back to where you were, even if the unaffected player has to save the game and create a new room.

How it can happen in a log replay though I don't understand. Obviously something other than a "simultaneous request" must be going on.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llGibraltar
VASL freezing at least for one player when both try to check LOS simultaneously is an issue, which I have encountered for many years and across many versions of VASSAL (conceivably going back as far as version v5.9.x).

I think it sometimes helped if the non-stuck player ended his use of the LOS-thread. But sometimes, just as Bruce reported, relaunching of VASL was in order. Can't remember both sides freezing, though.

von Marwitz

DougRim

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This thread started with a comment about the playback of log files freezing after a los check. A new thread on the same issue just got started. I have done some debugging and found that in the instances of log file playback, the los engine is getting caught in an loop from which it cannot exit . . . to players that appears like a freeze. I have a fix for that.

I need to test this fix and make sure it doesn't do something nasty to los checks during play.

If so, it MAY (or may not) help with the freezing during play that some players have commented on later in this thread. It is much harder to recreate that during-live-play freeze. For those of you who have experienced the live play freeze, do you remember if there was a level difference between firer and target (in either direction) when things froze?

If my fix works, it will appear in the official version of VASL6.5 due in late April. Again, no certainty that it will fix live play freezing. That could be a whole other problem.