VASL etiquette

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wondered how many VASLers out there find the following suggestion for standard VASL etiquette reasonable:

In the past I have seen suspicious use of HIP on VASL where units pop out of HIP in highly unorthodox locations...and I know others know what I'm talking about! Unfortunately the program doesn't report if your opponent moves a hipster. So what I suggest as a common courtesy is something analogous to ftf matches in which hip locations are recorded for post game verification. This is easily done in VASL by creating the setup file with a unique password the personal info tab in edit preferences. At game end you simply share that game's password for HIP verification.

Of course the other solution is to not play anyone you suspect of underhanded play like that... :(

Anyway, just a thought...
Victor

Barber

Official Mila 18 Dork
Reaction score
I have never questioned or even thought to question any of my opponents HIP revelations, nor have I ever been asked to do the same. If I were in such a position, I think I would follow your second solution. There's just so much "trust me" involved in VASL games already that it isn't worth it to me

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
VASSAL already has this feature with the delayed message function of Notes. Perhaps the VASL beta has a Notes button added. If not, perhaps Rodney should consider adding it to the official module.

With delayed notes you can show your opponent that you have written something, but that something can be revealed at the appropriate time.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
in the last 5 years or so i don't think i have ever written down a HIPster (unless something like Ateball, Agony and Angel)

likewise i have never asked to see an oppo's HIP record.

Although, i remember playing Death Ride from the HoB SS pack and towards the end of the game looking at my sheet thinking "where is my last gun" and seeing that i had recorded it in, like, the weirdest position ever. In a woods hex, facing two other woods hexes rather than down the road.

I showed it to my oppo so he didn't think i was pulling a fast one.

Personally i blame Ulric "glacier" Scwhela for playing so slowly i forgot why i was sneaky in the first place.

VASSL/ASL i play for fun. If i played a good game I'm happy. I have never suspected an opponent of cheating. Never regretted a loss. Well, once, but that's a different thread.

Has anyone else found a cheater?

b e n

da priest

Reaction score
Well if someone raises the point about "cheaters" I wonder what mind-set he has...and wonder if it is reasonable to consider playing him... :roll:

Think I'll just play the guys like me, who don't worry about that kind of stuff...it is just a Game after all... 8)

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have heard anecdotes about a player going to tournaments and having multiple copies of HIP guys in different pockets (covering all the bases).

He evidently pulled out the wrong copy when asked (that must have been embarrassing).

The way the story goes - he is no longer playing (and had been asked not to return )

Cheaters get a quick bad rep in this game

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personally, I've not played anyone that was suspect, but I was watching these two guys on vasl playing kgp3 (lots of hip) and the german tanks were hipped in what had to be the crappiest places leaving themselves with virtually nowhere to escape and very vulnerable to infantry, but it really tore the amis a new arse hole popping up in just the right place at just the right time...just didn't seem kosher to the MANY people watching that game. It became a discussion among three of us that were spectators and again recently with a fellow I play regularly on VASL...that is what made me think of starting this discussion here.

As far as how lax or strict you want to be with recording the hippies in your game is between the two people playing obviously. I merely would point out that the holy bible ASLRB states writing location of hippies on a side record (A12.3)...whether the intention is for later verification, or just to remind the player where he stuck his own units I suppose is up to you.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Fred Ingram said:
I have heard anecdotes about a player going to tournaments and having multiple copies of HIP guys in different pockets (covering all the bases).

He evidently pulled out the wrong copy when asked (that must have been embarrassing).

The way the story goes - he is no longer playing (and had been asked not to return )

Cheaters get a quick bad rep in this game
Is this our infamous Colorado player (not to be named here)? We were wondering why someone who didn't really know the rules or game that well seemed to be winning all the tournaments.... He don't show up any more.

I have to agree with Ron, if you're really suspect of someone, don't play'em.

It is just a game and if someone's ego is so tied up in it as to need to cheat to win....I guess I need opponents with a bit more durable an ego.

Jazz

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Our Colorado player is the only person that I ever even came close to suspecting of cheating. For the most part everyone I have ever played has really been above board in any game we have played. We all finally decided that if this player showed up to play we would all refuse to play him even in a tournament. Fortunately for everyone he was too embarrassed to ever show up again.

It cost him a lot for the few victories he stole. I don't even know if he plays ASL anymore, he certainly won't get a game here in Colorado. Definitely the best way to deal with a cheater is just refuse to play him. After all it's only a game.

Carl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
da priest said:
Well if someone raises the point about "cheaters" I wonder what mind-set he has...
Consider a different point of view ... I always provide the encrypted HIPster (or other secret message) file before play begins. It's not saying anything about my opponent but I'm providing it so my opponent doesn't have to ask.

Carl

Harold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl said:
Consider a different point of view ... I always provide the encrypted HIPster (or other secret message) file before play begins. It's not saying anything about my opponent but I'm providing it so my opponent doesn't have to ask.

Carl
I have only played VASL once but this is a great idea. Just use the free version of PGP. SDA your HIP file in it and give him the password when the game is done. Just don't lose or forget it. D'oh.