VASL easier on Mac or PC?

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking to learn VASL, and need to buy a new machine, which will be dedicated to VASL.
Which is better (easier) to run VASL on, Mac or PC?
Thanks.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
<shrug> I run on Windows. I strongly suspect it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. At one time there were some complexities associated with installation on an Apple, but that has in all probability been worked out.

Probably easier to get a better deal on a Windows machine?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It's easier on the OS you are familiar with. If you are familiar with both apple and microsoft, it's easier on linux. There's little difference between OSes with vasl itself, only with installing, customizing and trouble-shooting it.

JR

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
VASL is a tad easier to install on Mac, but that difference has equalized with the latest Java requirements. Can't speak to Linux but nothing is easy with Linux.

If you already are used to Windows/Mac, I'd stick with that.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Can't speak to Linux but nothing is easy with Linux.
After having worked with windows for decades, the only thing going for it is that there are so many people using it that someone has already had the problem you are having, and they have posted a fix or work-around on the web. Mac is linux in disguise, but you have to pay to have someone pull the wool over your eyes.

JR

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
After having worked with windows for decades, the only thing going for it is that there are so many people using it that someone has already had the problem you are having, and they have posted a fix or work-around on the web. Mac is linux in disguise, but you have to pay to have someone pull the wool over your eyes.

JR
I would modify that statement to say OS X is the GUI shell Linux users quietly wish they could have. But work with what works well for you.

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got a machine...
Going to try to install VASL tonight...
Hope I can pull this off..
Hope I don't screw this up...
Hope I do better at installing VASL than I do at playing ASL...:LOL: