VASL Desert League Round 1 Matchups

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Hi Carl,

Kevin Killeen and I have arranged to play ASL-039 "Turning The Tables".

Kevin will be playing the attacking Germans, whilst I will be playing the defending British. No balance in effect.

John.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Carl,

Kevin Killeen and I have arranged to play ASL-039 "Turning The Tables".

Kevin will be playing the attacking Germans, whilst I will be playing the defending British. No balance in effect.

John.
Got it John, thanks.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nate and I have started our scenario, Red Star, Red Sun. So far my Japanese machine-gunners have done more harm to their own equipment than the enemy infantry, but we hear some planes in the distance so maybe something can be salvaged of the situation.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nate and I have started our scenario, Red Star, Red Sun. So far my Japanese machine-gunners have done more harm to their own equipment than the enemy infantry, but we hear some planes in the distance so maybe something can be salvaged of the situation.
Thanks for the report gentlemen.

JazzJeff

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Will Willow and Jean-Francois Fortin will play OA31 - [With Friends like These] with Will's Americans trying to silence my French guns.
Cheers

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
In our game of ASL-039 "Turning The Tables", Kevin's Germans had no difficulty blowing my British off the map.

It's true I didn't enjoy the best of luck with the dice, but the real elephant in the room is that there really is no answer to the 10-2 led deathstar, which can just blow away nearly everything in its path. I tried landing some mortar smoke on them, but when that failed, they pretty much obliterated my OoB at will.

I think I had a functional defense, and the scenario looks balanced on ROAR, but clearly it isn't. Will be interested to see what attention this scenario gets when re-printed.

The big positive to take out of this was to learn that scenarios that seemed well balanced in the good old days, aren't necessarily so in the modern age of ASL.

John.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In our game of ASL-039 "Turning The Tables", Kevin's Germans had no difficulty blowing my British off the map.

It's true I didn't enjoy the best of luck with the dice, but the real elephant in the room is that there really is no answer to the 10-2 led deathstar, which can just blow away nearly everything in its path. I tried landing some mortar some on them, but when that failed, they pretty much obliterated my OoB at will.

I think I had a functional defense, and the scenario looks balanced on ROAR, but clearly it isn't. Will be interested to see what attention this scenario gets when re-printed.

View attachment 9297

The big positive to take out of this was to learn that scenarios that seemed well balanced in the good old days, aren't necessarily so in the modern age of ASL.

John.
I have it posted for you gents both in ROAR and the League. Seems to me I played this back in the day and thought it was pretty German dominant also.

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good Evening
James Taylor's Allied forces defeated my Vichy forces in our playing of ASL 81 "Fratricidal Fighting."
An exciting scenario. I missed a victory by 2 CVP's. Very close game against a great opponent.
I would definitely play this one again.
Cheers ya'll!
Pierce?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good Evening
James Taylor's Allied forces defeated my Vichy forces in our playing of ASL 81 "Fratricidal Fighting."
An exciting scenario. I missed a victory by 2 CVP's. Very close game against a great opponent.
I would definitely play this one again.
Cheers ya'll!
Pierce?
Got it, thanks guys.

Nate Stapf

Reaction score
James and I just finished Red Star Red Sun and my Russians came out on top. I wish I could say it was my masterful play that was responsible for the win, but James just couldn't mangae to hit or kill any of my tanks with his AT guns despite multiple attempts. In this scenario if most or all the armor survives it almost assures a Russian victory. That was the case here for sure.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
James and I just finished Red Star Red Sun and my Russians came out on top. I wish I could say it was my masterful play that was responsible for the win, but James just couldn't mangae to hit or kill any of my tanks with his AT guns despite multiple attempts. In this scenario if most or all the armor survives it almost assures a Russian victory. That was the case here for sure.
This is why we can't have nice things. I malf'd both HMGs, all 3 mortars and both AT guns. Nate played well, letting his barrages clear a path and provide safety while moping up my positions. If not for my tank-hunter heroes, who killed a tank and I immobilized another, this would have been even more lopsided than it was. Well played and he earned the Win.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is why we can't have nice things. I malf'd both HMGs, all 3 mortars and both AT guns. Nate played well, letting his barrages clear a path and provide safety while moping up my positions. If not for my tank-hunter heroes, who killed a tank and I immobilized another, this would have been even more lopsided than it was. Well played and he earned the Win.
Thank you gentlemen, so logged.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Matchups for round 3 being emailed out over the weekend. If you do not have them by Sunday PM, please shoot me an email. They will also be posted here. Thanks,
Carl

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello Gentlemen,
The Round Three info is below. Thanks and enjoy.
Carl
Round 3 Pairings 08/01/2019-10/31/2019
2-0 Bracket
Terry Gray vs Nate Stapf
James Taylor vs Kevin Killeen

1-1 Bracket
Martin Vicca vs Jim Fardette
Pierce Mason vs John Knowles
Randy Rossi vs Euan Denniston
Larry Flaherty vs Jean-Francois Fortin

0-2 Bracket
Roy Connelly vs Will Willow
Sebastiano Caltabiano vs Jim Hunter

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Hi Carl,

Pierce and I have agreed to play FT-235 "Once More Unto The Breach".

Pierce has the attacking Italians/Germans, whilst I have the defending British. No balance is in effect.

John.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Carl,

Pierce and I have agreed to play FT-235 "Once More Unto The Breach".

Pierce has the attacking Italians/Germans, whilst I have the defending British. No balance is in effect.

John.
Thank you John

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Martin Vicca and I will be playtesting an Advancing Fire scenario, Halfaya to the Sea. I have the Brits and Martin will be playing the Italians.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Martin Vicca and I will be playtesting an Advancing Fire scenario, Halfaya to the Sea. I have the Brits and Martin will be playing the Italians.
Is that one of Sebastiano's?