VASL Desert League Round 1 Matchups

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen,
Please see the pairings below. Accompanying emails have been sent out. Enjoy. Please do inform me of what scenarios you choose, who is playing which side and any balances you select. I report the games to ROAR.
Thanks,
Carl

Round 1 Pairings 01/16/2019-04/30/2019

James Taylor vs Will Willow

John Knowles vs Euan Denniston

Randy Rossi vs Pierce Mason

Sebastiano Caltabiano vs Martin Vicca

Jim Fradette vs Jim Hunter

Larry Flaherty vs Kevin Killeen

Jean-Francois Fortin vs Terry Gray

Roy Connelly vs Nate Stapf

Round 2 Pairings 05/01/2019-07/31/2019

Round 3 Pairings 08/01/2019-10/31/2019

Round 4 Pairings 11/01/2019-02/29/2020

Last edited:

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim Fardette's Italians were able to overcome Jim Hunter's Indians in A39, Showdown at Tug Argan Pass. Things started off hot for the Indians as they were able to cause a 9-1 and two squads of engineers to go Berserk and charge to their deaths, but things turned around on turn 3 when the Italian artillery took out the Indian artillery. Probably the most notable thing of the game was that the Italian HMG broke 3 times, then was repaired all 3 times and provided effective long range fire support, clearing out several hilltop sangars. With more 100mm pain on the way, Jim called it. Jim is a very enjoyable opponent, and we finished the game in 4.5 hours, pretty good for a combined arms action with both sides having OBA.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Jim, I will post it up. Also gentlemen, LFT 14 has three Desert scenarios in it. FT229 A Oush In The Bush, yeah I know, this is a family show, it is an old scenario from CH, FT235 Once More Onto the Breach and FT238 El Himeimat Ridge.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Carl,

Euan and I have agreed to play FT-228 "Last Charge At Umbrega".

Euan will play the defending Italians, whilst I will play the attacking French.

John.
Thank you John. Any other reports out there? Almost done with February. Coming up on just 2+ months left.

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Afternoon fellow Berserkers!
Randy and I will battle it out for El Himeimat Ridge (FT 238). Randy's Free French
will attack my Italians.
Cheers!
Pierce

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Afternoon fellow Berserkers!
Randy and I will battle it out for El Himeimat Ridge (FT 238). Randy's Free French
will attack my Italians.
Cheers!
Pierce
Thanks Pierce. Enjoy.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sebastiano and I finished J79 Rommels Remedy when he conceded tgat he could not get enough off the board.
To be honest, after the first session I was only playing on as it woukd have been unfair to resign too early. Then the dice did a full 180 and everything I did worked, seems like every bog check he made failed.
It's a very very dicey scenario. Lots of high Rof weapons and combine that with moderate dust, the dice rule the field. First session he got 1s and I got 6s then it turned the other way.
We both struggled with broken ground. A strange but enjoyable experience.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sebastiano and I finished J79 Rommels Remedy when he conceded tgat he could not get enough off the board.
To be honest, after the first session I was only playing on as it woukd have been unfair to resign too early. Then the dice did a full 180 and everything I did worked, seems like every bog check he made failed.
It's a very very dicey scenario. Lots of high Rof weapons and combine that with moderate dust, the dice rule the field. First session he got 1s and I got 6s then it turned the other way.
We both struggled with broken ground. A strange but enjoyable experience.
Thanks for the report Martin. Recorded in the League and Roar.

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good Evening,
Randy and I just finished up our match FT238 "El Himeimat Ridge." My Italians
defeated Randy's Free French. Tough scenario for the Free French.
Good luck to Randy in the next round.
Cheers!
Pierce

Nate Stapf

Reaction score
Roy Connelly and I just finished AP 73 Happy Valley, after a swirling tank duel between my Stuarts and Roy's Panzer IIIs and IVs the Americans came out on top. Roy's infantry were too chopped up to make the final push on the American held village in the end.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Euan and I concluded our game of FT-228 "Last Charge At Umbrega" today (my morning, his afternoon).

I spread the French out, with plenty of deploys in order to limit the Italian ability to rout. There were lots of MCs inflicted on both sides, but my French passed all but one of theirs, whilst the Italians failed all but one of theirs. By the start of my turn 4, only 6 Italian squads were still in good order, and meanwhile the French had captured 5.5 prisoner squads and 2 camps for the loss of a hero and half-squad. Euan saw the writing on the wall and conceded at that point. It was a fun scenario to play, but I definitely got the better of the dice, with some of my key units standing up to multiple MCs.

Euan was a gentleman to play, and despite being a new ASL player, has quite a good grasp of the rules and is a pleasure to play against.

John.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for all three playing results gentlemen. One more match and we will be set for next round.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen,
Round 2 for the Desert League is kicking off early due to your diligence in getting games in. I thank you. The pairings are below, also look for a group email coming shortly. I thank you.

Round 2 Pairings 04/20/2019-07/31/2019

1-0 Bracket

James Taylor vs Pierce Mason

Martin Vicca vs Terry Gray

Jim Fradette vs Nate Stapf

Kevin Killeen vs John Knowles

0-1 Bracket

Randy Rossi vs Sebastiano Caltabiano

Euan Denniston vs Roy Connelly

Larry Flaherty vs Jim Hunter

Jean-Francois Fortin vs Will Willow

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good Afternoon fellow Desert Dwellers
James and I will be battling in ASL 81 "Fratricidal Fighting." James Allied Forces will be
attacking my Vichy forces.
Cheers ya'll!
Pierce

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good Afternoon fellow Desert Dwellers
James and I will be battling in ASL 81 "Fratricidal Fighting." James Allied Forces will be
attacking my Vichy forces.
Cheers ya'll!
Pierce
Thanks Pierce.