VASL Desert League 2017-2018 In Progress

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mike Sprague and Randy Rossi finished up ASL39 Turning the Tables tonight with Randy's British taking the win. The Stukas were only able to take out the AA Gun and the AT gun went on a RoF tear. Once all 4 AFVs were gone it was essentially over. Randy let me play another turn so I could learn more DTO. :)

Thanks to Randy for a great, informative game. The results have been recorded in ROAR.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mike Sprague and Randy Rossi finished up ASL39 Turning the Tables tonight with Randy's British taking the win. The Stukas were only able to take out the AA Gun and the AT gun went on a RoF tear. Once all 4 AFVs were gone it was essentially over. Randy let me play another turn so I could learn more DTO. :)

Thanks to Randy for great, informative game. The results have been recorded in ROAR.
Thanks guys, I will record in the league upon my return on Saturday.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Paul and I are underway in A-112 "Gift Of Time".

The unpredictable rain makes this such a fickle scenario; the German 75s can rule the map if the rain stays away.....

......but on turn 1, I roll light rain. My plan didn't even survive the game's first DR !! I can't see anything beyond 36 hexes (my 75L tubes are positioned at ranges 43-48, so I am forced to move them forward). In Paul's first turn, the rain intensifies (making 30 hexes the maximum range), but in my turn 2, the rain stops. My first 75L shot malfunctions, and my radio man cannot maintain contact. A few uneventful shots are exchanged, with the only notable result being my gun malfunction. An ugly start !!

The clear weather holds in Allied 2, and a Stuka shows up, who brews a M3 with its first MG shot. No Allied guns hit, and the other M3 gets brewed by a 75L from 35 hexes. 2 big kills, that wouldn't have happened if the rain was falling.

A-112-Ger-03-RPh-jpeg.jpg

Still no word from the 6pdr ATG yet.

John.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will Willow's Vichy French succumbed to David Yllanes's British and French in Fratricidal Fighting, scenario 81. Thank you gents.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Richard Dagnell and I are planning to play Savoia!. We missed the first try, waiting to hear from Richard to reschedule.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Paul and I got 4 more turns of A-112 "Gift Of Time" done today.

In German turn 3, I got 2 AFV hits, one kill, but a SAN killed my OBA radio operator. I managed to send over a second 8-0, who recovered the radio, but malfunctioned it with his first contact maintenance DR !!! During American turn 3, the Lees arrive, and use the hillock protection to set up in reverse-slope positions. My turn 4, the rain starts, and I decide to push hard. I'd liked to have killed at least one more AFV before doing so, and the radio malfunctioning means I lose my best means of defeating the still hidden ATG. A Lee rolls an improbable hit on a 26 hex, th5+4 shot, the subsequent dr gives a normal hit, FTK6, and Paul rolls a crisp 5 to kill the first German tank. The rain stops in Allied 4 RPh, and another Stuka plunges down on an M3, but its attacks do nothing. In the German turn 5 PFPh, I am able to kill both Lee tanks, and another Valantine. leaving just 1 surviving, along with the still HIP ATG. I continue the advance turn 6, and the ATG pops up pretty much where expected; losing that OBA really was a bummer. During turn 6, I lose the Kubelwagen and its passengers (an 8-0 and the still malfunctioned radio), and in Allied PFPh, I lose a 2nd PzIV.

With 1.5 turns left, my Casualty DVP score is 48. Units exited off the north edge are worth double, so one (MA functioning) Italian SPG or German halftrack will be enough to win. That ATG will have to do something special.............the PzIVF2 in 30U5 will be looking to fire smoke.

John.
A-112-Ger-07-RPh-gif.gif

Last edited:

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
I just bumped into Paul on VASL (my Sunday morning, his Saturday evening), and we were able to conclude A-112 "Gift Of Time". In short, the clouds held, 30U5 got smoke down on the ATG, and when a halftrack got into their location, Paul called it a day.

Good fun to play this scenario. I'd definitely be up for playing the Allies some time....... but that aspiration will have to join the line ! (so many others)

This is about the only DTO I get to play these days, so I'm very grateful for the DTO VASL League.

John.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Richard Dagnall, where are you? I've tried sending emails but not getting any response, so maybe you aren't getting them? Would like to play our match if you are available!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just bumped into Paul on VASL (my Sunday morning, his Saturday evening), and we were able to conclude A-112 "Gift Of Time". In short, the clouds held, 30U5 got smoke down on the ATG, and when a halftrack got into their location, Paul called it a day.

Good fun to play this scenario. I'd definitely be up for playing the Allies some time....... but that aspiration will have to join the line ! (so many others)

This is about the only DTO I get to play these days, so I'm very grateful for the DTO VASL League.

John.
Game recorded in ROAR and in the League. Thanks, guys.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl, Richard Dagnell got back to me and we can complete our game on Sunday, 29 Oct. is that acceptable?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl, Richard Dagnell got back to me and we can complete our game on Sunday, 29 Oct. is that acceptable?
That will get it done. I sent out the email regarding an extension until 10/31. So that gives you enough time. Are you two already under way with the game? It would be pretty tough to finish most desert scenarios in one day, for sure.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We will make it work. Its Savoia!, so after the initial cavalry charge it should be pretty quick.

Nate Stapf

Reaction score
Kevin and I finished Egypt's Last Hope, with my British prevailing against Kevin's Germans. I would argue that this one is pretty unbalanced in favor of the Brits. Attacking up the board 25 hill is tough and the Brits get plenty to defend it with.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kevin and I finished Egypt's Last Hope, with my British prevailing against Kevin's Germans. I would argue that this one is pretty unbalanced in favor of the Brits. Attacking up the board 25 hill is tough and the Brits get plenty to defend it with.
What were the table selections for each side? This is the only one from Line in the Sand I have not played.

tallin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What were the table selections for each side? This is the only one from Line in the Sand I have not played.

Because it was a separate scenario, we each drew. I drew #3 from table A, #3 from table B and #4 from table C. Not necessarily the best for this scenario. I think the Brits had #3 from A #4 from B and #3 from C. It was close game. Even though the scenario favors the Brits, I think it can be won by the German with optimal selection of the force pools. I am going to play the trilogy over the next month as the German against a different opponent. Really looking forward to it.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Observation Plane is a sitting duck vs. any other aircraft. I had this situation come up at ASLOK and it was amazing how deep a rule dive was necessary in order to find Aerial CC vs Observation Plane. Interesting that you drew instead of picked for a stand alone scenario from LitS. If I was the Germans I would pick A1, B4, C2. If I was the Brits I would pick A1, B1, & C2. The way I read the card is that Brits get additional selection from Table A for onboard set up. Is that how you played it?

tallin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Observation Plane is a sitting duck vs. any other aircraft. I had this situation come up at ASLOK and it was amazing how deep a rule dive was necessary in order to find Aerial CC vs Observation Plane. Interesting that you drew instead of picked for a stand alone scenario from LitS. If I was the Germans I would pick A1, B4, C2. If I was the Brits I would pick A1, B1, & C2. The way I read the card is that Brits get additional selection from Table A for onboard set up. Is that how you played it?

Per LitS special Rule number 5, we had to draw randomly. I would have picked A5, B2 and C2 if at all possible. Though I did get a few missions off with the 100 before he was chased away.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the report Nate. Recorded in the League and on Roar.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim Fardette's Russians outlasted Richard Dagnell's Italians in Savoia!. As usual for this scenario, over 80% of each sides' OOB were dead or broken by the end of the first turn. The Italian reinforcements were harassed by accurate long range MG fire to bring the festivities to an early end... This scenario is so much fun, and while it stretches the desert concept, I recommend anyone who hasn't played it to crack open a beer and play something different.