VASL connection timed out

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think this is probably a VASSAL problem, so I will risk having my knuckles rapped for not posting to the VASL subforum.

While in the middle of a game through VASL, I stopped seeing my opponents moves, die rolls, or control-clicks (so, more serious than just de-syncing). My internet was fine: skype kept working throughout with no hiccups. When I restarted VASSAL and tried to reconnect, I just get the following message:

-Unable to establish connection to server: Connection timed out: connect

which repeats itself every minute or so in the chatter box. Any ideas about what is going on here?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I just connected, and I see four players in the main room, including myself. I see twelve rooms with players. You posted about 25 minutes ago, and I don't know if these players/rooms have arisen since then or not. If you are still having problems it may be local to you.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I think this is probably a VASSAL problem, so I will risk having my knuckles rapped for not posting to the VASL subforum.

While in the middle of a game through VASL, I stopped seeing my opponents moves, die rolls, or control-clicks (so, more serious than just de-syncing). My internet was fine: skype kept working throughout with no hiccups. When I restarted VASSAL and tried to reconnect, I just get the following message:

-Unable to establish connection to server: Connection timed out: connect

which repeats itself every minute or so in the chatter box. Any ideas about what is going on here?

In my experience this can happen from time to time. As the rest of your internet connection and Skype kept working, I'd think the problem lies somewhere on the route from your computer to the VASL Server - especially, if VASL keeps working for your opponent (Bytimes, your opponent drops out, but a spectator also in the room can still see your moves.)

Sometimes, this seems to be an issue of the VASL Server itself if everyone drops out at the same time.

Most of the time, the issue goes away after a couple of minutes and it is worth a wait. But sometimes it has completely disrupted my gaming sessions.

Now I have talked about the VASL Server. Dunno, maybe it is the VASSAL server. Maybe you could narrow it down if you installed another game module available for VASSAL. If you get the same error message for both games/modules, then it seems to point towards VASSAL. If VASL does not work but the other module does, then it points to VASL.

von Marwitz

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks guys! Definitely on my end somehow, since my opponent was still in the room and about a dozen other rooms seemed active as well.

It's a relief to know that other people have experienced this and it just goes away after a while. We gave it about an hour, and things persisted, but I have been able to connect to the server today.

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I too have had connection issues with VASL, but the last year has been good. Will be playing tomorrow so hope isn't a problem that's about to return.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
One possible explanation is that java has gone wonky. Vasl is run inside a java process, and it is not unknown for the java host process to go bad. After a while when it hasn't been used the java process will, I believe, terminate itself, which could explain the "recovery." If you are having a problem and you know how to do so, you might try killing the java process to see if that fixes things. This is not guaranteed to be the problem, but if your connectivity to the internet seems unbroken, it is one that might explain your problem. You might also want to check to see what version of java you are running. If you are running an old version you might upgrade.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That is a good idea, JR. I can remember at least one occasion where I ran into the issue and had also JAVA doing some wobbly things at the same time.

von Marwitz

Sean Deller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I experienced this very problem recently during my first live VASL playing in five years. It happened so often that evening that I would have quit had I not been so eager play. Very frustrating. I’m not likely to try again anytime soon.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sometimes it happens, I don't know why. If it happens more than twice in a short time, I find shutting vassal down and restarting tends to help. No real reason why and it might just be I got lucky when I did thst.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I experienced this very problem recently during my first live VASL playing in five years. It happened so often that evening that I would have quit had I not been so eager play. Very frustrating. I’m not likely to try again anytime soon.
Usually, VASL works well enough. No reason to turn your back on it when you run into issues once.

von Marwitz

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I figured out how to get the peer to peer working, so my buddy and I connect that way. Works way better.

Peace

Roger