VASL "best rolls streak" page

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not looking to get into a discussion about the quality of the dice bot, but I remember there was a page that listed the best/longest dice roll streak as recorded using the VASL log. It also said something about the worst streak too. I thought it was on the ASL scenario archive, but I can't find it there.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The ASL Scenario Archive was updated a while ago. With that update, the old "Best Rollers", "Worst Rollers", "Most Snakes", and "Most Boxcars" board went asunder.

Before DRs were represented by dice-depictions in VASL, numbers were displayed. By copying/pasting the log-files into the particular page of the Archive, the rolls were analyzed and counted. Only sessions with a minimum of 50 DRs were considered for a player.

The nice thing was, that this function allowed you to determine your long time DR average. I remember having reached an overall count of close to 10,000 DRs. Altogether, I think more than 150,000 DRs were counted in thousands of sessions.

I still remember that game vs. Chris Mazzei, in which he ranked among the "All-time Top 5 Best Rollers" while I managed to rank among the "All-time Top 5 Worst Rollers" at the same time... Just imagine: One of the best sets of 50 DR out of 150,000 vs. one of the worst sets of 50 DR out of 150,000. It seemed freakishly unreal.

Before this sparks rumors about the 'dreaded VASL dicebot' stay calm... That page also gave long time statistic data that proved such concerns wrong.

That bit of history given, I do not know if anything like it exists currently but I do not think so.

von Marwitz

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I've never seen a dice streak on VASL that I haven't also seen using real dice -- "precision" or otherwise. (In fact, if your "nice precision dice" don't ever give you freakish dice streaks, there's something wrong with them.)

Random is random, for all the good and bad that entails.

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That was the reason I didn’t post any numbers. Just wanted to know how it compared to others’ streaks.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Being sick of the dicebot hijinks, Vic and I picked up USB cameras and now we are using our nice precision dice. The bot sucks.

Hey Tom!

Hope your doing well and designing more scenarios for VotG. What do you mean by dicebot hijinks? Just for sh!ts and giggles, while watching a movie this evening, I started punching the 2-dice button on VASL. I actually punched the damn thing 10,000 times. Here's what the data showed:

5,000 rolls
Die 1 -- 3.53
Die 2 -- 3.52
Total -- 7.05

10,000 rolls
Die 1 -- 3.53
Die 2 -- 3.51
Total -- 7.03

That's pretty close to a statistical average in my book.

Cheers,

Mark

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
We need a million rolls to be sure. Any Netflix shows you're planning on binge-watching? ;)

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
You didn’t mention if you are using the java dicebot or the random.org dice source.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm sure it's been said countless times in many threads, but it's not the distribution of the dice rolls but their timing that controls my perception of randomness. Playing an opponent in RB CGIII, for the first 7 evenings of play his first shot of each evening was snake eyes. I don't remember any of the other rolls he made, nor whether I thought they were fairly distributed or otherwise, but I sure remember these ones. Getting him a set of precision dice halfway through this didn't help me one bit :). Perhaps it's the dice cup...

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Tom!

Hope your doing well and designing more scenarios for VotG. What do you mean by dicebot hijinks? Just for sh!ts and giggles, while watching a movie this evening, I started punching the 2-dice button on VASL. I actually punched the damn thing 10,000 times. Here's what the data showed:

5,000 rolls
Die 1 -- 3.53
Die 2 -- 3.52
Total -- 7.05

10,000 rolls
Die 1 -- 3.53
Die 2 -- 3.51
Total -- 7.03

That's pretty close to a statistical average in my book.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

It's not the average, which over a boatload of rolls will be average, that bothers me. It's the strings of high or low rolls of 9+ or at the opposite end. And when I say 'strings', it can be up to a dozen rolls, all 5 or less or 9 or more. It just seems unnatural, and occurs with regularity. And ASL is not a typical CRT-based game, so rolling a bunch of 10-11-12s or 4-3-2s can wreck a game. Now to be fair, there have been games where the distribution of rolls seemed 'normal'. I was thrilled at one of our recent playtest sessions to see it roll a string of 6-7-8s.....I commented 'how often do we see that!' Also, there is a sense of frustration that occurs by the perceived loss of control because the bot is rolling the dice. Rolling the precision dice at least gives back some sense of 'control'.....you get what you roll, no bot to blame if the results go off the rail. And as I alluded to before, the precision dice are much prettier, and given the investment it feels good to use them, which is a nice benefit.

As for VotG, I have a project I am considering doing......we'll see. I have a bunch of irons in the fire with other game projects.

Have a great day!

Tom

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Being sick of the dicebot hijinks, Vic and I picked up USB cameras and now we are using our nice precision dice. The bot sucks.
Totally agree Tom, after having too many playtests semi-screwed up by the dreaded 'bot' we are now using our precision dice with our web-cameras and feel much better about the randomness they provide. I love my Battle School Dice! And I love VASL even more with them, Vic.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Which of the two bots are you guys disparaging?

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some people are referring to the random.org dice roller. Can you use this directly in VASL? If yes, please let me know how to set it up. Thanks.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
You didn’t mention if you are using the java dicebot or the random.org dice source.
I used the red/white dice button that is in the VASL program. Not sure which one that is.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hi Mark,

It's not the average, which over a boatload of rolls will be average, that bothers me. It's the strings of high or low rolls of 9+ or at the opposite end. And when I say 'strings', it can be up to a dozen rolls, all 5 or less or 9 or more. It just seems unnatural, and occurs with regularity. And ASL is not a typical CRT-based game, so rolling a bunch of 10-11-12s or 4-3-2s can wreck a game. Now to be fair, there have been games where the distribution of rolls seemed 'normal'. I was thrilled at one of our recent playtest sessions to see it roll a string of 6-7-8s.....I commented 'how often do we see that!' Also, there is a sense of frustration that occurs by the perceived loss of control because the bot is rolling the dice. Rolling the precision dice at least gives back some sense of 'control'.....you get what you roll, no bot to blame if the results go off the rail. And as I alluded to before, the precision dice are much prettier, and given the investment it feels good to use them, which is a nice benefit.

As for VotG, I have a project I am considering doing......we'll see. I have a bunch of irons in the fire with other game projects.

Have a great day!

Tom

Thanks for the reply, Tom! I now have a better understanding what you mean.

Cheers,

Mark

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's not the average, which over a boatload of rolls will be average, that bothers me. It's the strings of high or low rolls of 9+ or at the opposite end.
There are statistics tests for that kind of thing. I'm surprised one of our statistically-minded friends hasn't worked that up.