VASL and Zone Alarm

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,

Looking for someone who has VASL 4, XP and ZoneAlarm 3 running and working together, along with router knowledge. Running VASL 1.1.9 and 4.0.8.

I have extreme problems seeing people on the VASL 4 server. Lots of people seem to be able to see my opponents, but not me. I have the XP firewall disabled. I have the VASL server IP listed as a trusted site in ZA. I have port 5050 as a pass-through on my router.

This is really killing my ASL gaming. The two people I play most often are the two people I can not see on the server with any amount of stability. Others I seem to see fine, but that is misleading - I logged in tonight and each time I logged out, then back in, a different set of people was connected. Clearly something is amiss.

Anyone know what happened to the very stable VASL 3 communications? I play RB twice a week using the local server mode on VASL 3 - with NO problems at all.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You have to open port 6666 to, this is for the peer to peer network

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I opened up the 6666 port. I will test it out over the next few days and see if it works any better.

Is there documentation on this? I have never heard of port 6666 being required, but have not seen any updated documentation on VASL 4.

Alan

dolemite

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
There is a link to a FAQ on the VASL site, I forgot the URL,
but it will be displayed in the VASL controls window if it starts in P2P mode.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will,

Thanks! I downloaded the software, and regardless of how much it may help, it is very good. There is so much more communications going on then I coudl imagine.

Also - there is no port 6666 usage at all.

Alan