Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My opponent and I were using VASSAL 3.4.2 and VASL 6.6.0 . I am using a Mac, he is using a Windows OS.

When I Ctrl+Left Click on a counter to put a red circle around it, I also the see the counter menu, as if I had right-clicked on the counter. If my opponent on his Windows machine does Ctrl+Left Click on a counter, he sees only the red circle.

Edit: added "Left" to Ctrl+Click

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Loaded a save file from that game into VASSAL 3.4.6 and VASL 6.6.1 . The same behaviour shows.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When's the last time you slept Doug? :)

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I just tried to repro on my MacBook Air running Catalina (10.15.7) and could not, will dig a bit more...
Ah, one must CTRL-Left Click right on top of a counter, confirmed. Also happens in VASSAL 3.3.2 and VASL 6.6.0-beta1. Trying to dig up an older combo, too...

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
FWIW, I confirmed that it does not happen when using VASSAL 3.2.17 and VASL 6.5.1 .

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ctrl-Left Click is one of the standard ways of raising a context menu on a Mac (the other is right-clicking; Ctrl-Left Click is used by a lot of people using a trackpad on a laptop, and Ctrl-Left Click is the only way if you have a one-button mouse). We'd been handling this incorrectly in VASSAL and fixed it in 3.3.2.

We've added a Flare in our development branch for VASSAL 3.5. Whether you trigger it with Ctrl or Alt (or some other combination) is a preference---it has to be, in order not to conflict with the the standard way of raising a context menu on Macs. (We made it a preference instead of Alt on Macs and Ctrl everywhere else to avoid complaints from people who want it to remain broken.)

Until VASSAL 3.5 is out and is the release you're targeting for VASL, your best option is to add a preference for which key to use.

You can see what we do in VASSAL's Flare for that:

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There's a fix for a different problem in 3.4.7 which by happenstance will make your red circle work with Command + Left Click on a Mac. I'm not sure quite when 3.4.7 will be released---we have three or four issues we're still working on for it---but I would guess still during October.