DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Get it here

New Features

1. Casualties Bin

This feature automates tracking of CVP during a scenario. All CVP-eligible units (infantry, vehicles, guns, planes, and LC) now start with their full CVP value as the default. They can be moved to a casualties bin which will track and report on total CVP for Allied/Axis sides. CVP for individual units can be adjusted as required by SSRs, CGs or other situations.

To Move A Unit to the Casualties Bin:
Right click on the unit, select Casualties Bin and then either Allied or Axis from the submenu. This allows for maximum flexibility (think Italians or prisoners) as to which side the CVP should be allocated.

To Change the CVP of a unit:
Right click on the unit, select Reset CVP and then enter the new CVP value. This has to be done for each unit. Changing the CVP of one Russian 447 in a scenario won’t change it for all Russian 447 in the game.

If you are using DVP, you will need to do this for each vehicle in the Casualties Bin.

For vehicles, you can reset the base CVP value as above or you can reduce the CVP by clicking on CVP Modifiers and then selecting one of the four submenu items which will change the CVP by (1) -1 for malf/disabled MA; (2) – 2 if the crew survives; (3) -3 if the MA is malf/disabled and the crew survives; or (4) return CVP to the default value.

While crews are built into the vehicle CVP, Armor Leaders are not. To add an AL to the Casualties Bin, the AL counter must be put on board and then sent to the Casualties Bin.

To View CVP Counts:
For a quick count, click on the CVP button on the tool bar and a current total will show up in the chat window for Allied CVP and Axis CVP.

For a detailed view, click on the Casualties Bin button on the tool bar and the Casualties Bin will display with a stack of those units sent to the Bin in each of the Allied and Axis areas. Those units cannot, in this version, be automatically sorted, but they can be restacked and sorted manually and their CVP values can be changed as above while in the Casualties Bin. Clicking on the Allied CVP or Axis CVP buttons at the top of the Casualties Bin window will update the CVP total for that side (only). You can close the window normally or leave it open.

All Casualties Bin actions will be saved by Save Game.

To Handle Wrecks and Casualty Reduction:
For Wrecks, before turning the vehicle into a wreck, clone it, send one version to the Casualties Bin and then change the other to a wreck.

For Casualty Reduction, turn the squad into a hs, clone the hs, send one version to the Casualties Bin and leave the other on the main map and apply any further actions (such as breaking) to it.

Version Compatibility:
For both players to see and use the Casualties Bin, they will both need 6.5.

Games saved with previous versions of the game can be opened with 6.5 and will work normally. In terms of the Casualties Bin, existing unit counters will not contain the Casualties Bin functionality. However, new unit counters dragged from the Counters Window will. Simply replace the existing counters with one from the Counters Window whenever a unit needs to go the Casualties Bin.

Some counters that should not have the Casualties Bin menu items may have them. This is due to the way counters are created in VASL. If you find such counters, please report them.

Extensions:
Unit counters added by extensions will not have the Casualties Bin functionality even though they will have the popup menu items. Sending such a counter to the Casualties Bin will produce an error message in the chat window and will not add CVP points to the Allied or Axis totals. However, the game will not crash, and you will be able to continue to play normally. With the agreement of Third Parties Producers, it would be possible to work with those who have produced Extensions with unit counters to see if the Casualties Bin functionality could be applied to those counters. This work is underway on the BFP Extension.

Vehicle CVP special case:
A reminder that when determining the CVP of a vehicle, the highest possible AF is used. In the case of vehicles with Front AF inside a square box, this can raise their CVP. For example, a vehicle with a squared 8 AF will be treated as having 11 AF for CVP calculation purposes, resulting in 3 CVP for armor rather than 2 CVP.

2. Counter Finder

This feature lets players search for hard to find counters such as motorcycle counters or Out of Gas or NVR counters.

To use, click on the "Ctr Search" button located between the INFO and Night buttons on the toolbar. You will have two ways to locate a counter: search and scroll.

To Search:
Enter a counter name in the text box with the text "Enter Counter Name". Then click the "Search" button. The location of the counter will show up in the other text box. If no match is found the text box will report this. This will happen. For example, looking for bicycle counters - enter "Bicycle". You will get a result. Enter "Bicycles" will get you no joy. You can just keep entering different counter names. Clicking on Clear will reset the text boxes to their original state but is not required between individual searches. The search function is case insensitive so both “Wind” and “wind” will find the Wind counter.

To Scroll:
A scrollable list is displayed at the bottom of the window. Scroll down the list until you find the counter you want in the left-hand column. The right-hand column will tell you where it is in the counter palette.

In both cases, what you get is the location of the counter in the counter palette (which opens when you click on the German 467 icon on the tool bar). You will not be taken to that location; you have to get there yourself. Just navigate through the tabs and panels as you normally would.

This is meant to handle those hard to find counters. It won't work for units: infantry, vehicles, guns, LC and planes. Basically, anything that is found under the Axis O/B or Allied O/B tabs is excluded (with some exceptions like Bicycles, Dozers). It is also not going to find counters in extensions.

Bug Fixes

1. LOS Fix for rubbled upper levels and split levels
Rubble counters (both stone and wood) can now be incremented by level via their popup menu just as building level counters can. The LOS tool will recognize the applicable level of the rubble counter. Drag the Wooden Rubble counter off the Toolbar and change type and level as required.

The total height of Split-level buildings, including underlying terrain, is now correctly calculated and so the LOS tool works.

2. LOS Bug fix to handle BFPDWxb and deluxe boards when flipped and cropped
A couple of board configurations needed a fix to fully enable flipping and cropping.

3. Concealment Chart error fixed.

Counter Changes

1. Korea: Forgotten War counters are now part of the main VASL module
All the counters from the KFW extension have now been added to the core VASL module, meaning that the KFW extension is no longer required for VASL6.5 forwards. All hail Al Cannamore for a huge effort on the KFW counters!!

2. EC/Weather counters have been updated
The entire set of EC/Weather counters have been redone as per a long-standing thread on GS. Many of them can be flipped or incremented to reflect different conditions. They are still found in the same place in the Counter Palette (Other/Map/EC).

3. Several counter bugs were fixed
The images for the German 20L(6) AA gun and versions of the Finnish T-26 vehicle were corrected. A problem with LC wrecks was fixed.

Board Updates

While not strictly part of VASL6.5, a reminder of some of the board updates that have taken place over the last year. Auto syncing should be taking care of this for you; if you have downloaded a board from VASL.info recently, you are probably doing something wrong!

1. LOS has now been applied to all Deluxe boards
  2. Festung Budapest boards have been updated to version 6.0+
  3. Bugs in various individual boards have been fixed: BFP, bd40, bd50, bd70, bdRileys
  4. The addition of Light Woods transformation to all boards has been completed and various bugs fixed
Of course, a whole group of new boards were VASLized over the past year. A lot of hard work by a bunch of folks.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
When I click on that link I get a GitHub 404 error.

Where is the file located?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Errata, the link works but the Download does not work, clicking on the Download 6.5.0. sends you to the 404 page...

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Doug,

my thanks go out to you and the entire team working on this effort. ???

Especially in times of Corona, it has once more been shown how invaluable VASL is for the hobby.

Making VASL happen cannot be overrated! ?

von Marwitz

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Doug, tried it just now, it works fine here.

Thank you for your hard work..........................all hail the VASL guru.........................grovel grovel.................we are not worthy ?

dreenstra

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone having trouble opening games saved with 6.5 in earlier versions? Just tried opening a file while running 6.4.4, got the warning about the game being saved with 6.5.0, proceeded with opening, see the board, but no counters appear. I can drag new counters on but old counters don't display. Opening the previous log file from the same game (saved under 6.4.4) presents no problem.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Anyone having trouble opening games saved with 6.5 in earlier versions? Just tried opening a file while running 6.4.4, got the warning about the game being saved with 6.5.0, proceeded with opening, see the board, but no counters appear. I can drag new counters on but old counters don't display. Opening the previous log file from the same game (saved under 6.4.4) presents no problem.
Yes, that absolutely will not work. To implement the Casualty Bin functionality I had to change every unit counter in the game. None of them will show up if you try to open a 6.5.0 game in 6.4.4. But why would you? If you are playing against someone, both of you should use 6.5.0 or neither.

While the goal of allowing users maximum flexibility to use the versions they prefer is laudable and I do not wish to dictate which versions people should use, opening 6.5.0 games in 6.4.4 and lower is just a recipe for sadness.

Remember it is possible to have multiple versions of VASL installed at the same time.

dreenstra

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But why would you? If you are playing against someone, both of you should use 6.5.0 or neither.

It's not something I would do intentionally, but one of my opponents decided to upgrade and I wasn't even aware there was a new version. Could cause some concern for guys opening older games for the first time so I thought it might be something to give folks a heads up about.

Yes, I'm running multiple versions and I can switch between them. It's just an extra step to remember to do when switching between log files from different games (I usually have 6-8 games going at any given time).

Thanks,
Dave

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To Change the CVP of a unit:
Right click on the unit, select Reset CVP and then enter the new CVP value........etc
This only works if you start a completely new game after installing 6.5. I couldn't get any CVP functionality working in any old save games I loaded, even after re-saving them after 6.5 was installed.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This only works if you start a completely new game after installing 6.5. I couldn't get any CVP functionality working in any old save games I loaded, even after re-saving them after 6.5 was installed.
Did you switch the old counters out for new ones? As per:

Version Compatibility:
For both players to see and use the Casualties Bin, they will both need 6.5.

Games saved with previous versions of the game can be opened with 6.5 and will work normally. In terms of the Casualties Bin, existing unit counters will not contain the Casualties Bin functionality. However, new unit counters dragged from the Counters Window will. Simply replace the existing counters with one from the Counters Window whenever a unit needs to go the Casualties Bin.

Old (created in 6.4.4 and earlier) unit counters will never have the new Casualties Bin functionality. You have to drag a counter from the palette in 6.5.0 and use it to replace the existing counter created in earlier versions. Tiresome I know but it will work. Personally, depending on scenario size, I would not change out all unit counters, just do it when a unit needs to go to the Casualties Bin.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Why are all the weather/EC etc. counters labelled? What's the point of that? I mean, certainly I wouldn't recognise the "Wind Direction" counter if it wasn't labelled "Wind Dir", right? How about labelling the "Prep Fire" counters with "Prep Fire"? The logical next step is that every German squad gets a "German Squad" label, isn't it?

Not sure why we need more Turn markers for Korean War scenarios than we do for regular WW2 scenarios. Also, these new Turn markers actively conceal info on the Turn Track, unlike the Generic Turn marker.

What do these error messages mean?

- Bad Data in Module: Image not found Currentright.png
- Bad Data in Module: Image not found WinterExtreme.png

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Why are all the weather/EC etc. counters labelled? What's the point of that? I mean, certainly I wouldn't recognise the "Wind Direction" counter if it wasn't labelled "Wind Dir", right? How about labelling the "Prep Fire" counters with "Prep Fire"? The logical next step is that every German squad gets a "German Squad" label, isn't it?

Not sure why we need more Turn markers for Korean War scenarios than we do for regular WW2 scenarios. Also, these new Turn markers actively conceal info on the Turn Track, unlike the Generic Turn marker.

What do these error messages mean?

• Bad Data in Module: Image not found Currentright.png
  • Bad Data in Module: Image not found WinterExtreme.png
The purpose of the labels, obviously, is to make it easier to pick the right one. Perhaps you instinctively know to choose between the Stream Depth counter (Shallow, Deep, Flooded, Dry) and the River Depth counter (Deep, Flooded, Fordable) without any identifier but many others might not. Especially since updating the Weather/EC counters resulted in more of them. These counters are rarely placed on the map and it is hard for me to see how the addition of labels infringes on the enjoyment of VASL. I agree that some of them may be clear without a label but since I was doing some of them I did them all. Why not?

Anyway, we will see how players react. The labels can be removed in subsequent VASL updates if yours is the common reaction.

BTW, labeling prep fire counters and unit counters as you suggest is not logical, it's silly. You know it and I know it.

The error messages mean that the VASL module does not contain the expected image files for the Current and Extreme Winter counters. That is an error or my part and will be corrected in the next update.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I posted a BUG report here, not sure if this is know or reported yet, but I would have thought so, as this is a pretty critical piece of using VASL.

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/bug-vasl-unit-reporting-issues-error.157296/
Move reporting seems to be working fine on my version. If anyone has similar problems, please post details of game (new, saved in previous version, every time, etc).

And don't forget to check that you haven't turned off move reporting in preferences.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
The purpose of the labels, obviously, is to make it easier to pick the right one.
Did you have a lot of requests from people asking "what the hell are these counters"? If not, are you saying that you did extra work to fix a problem that nobody thought was a problem? Can you or someone else do some extra extra work to put it back the way it was? Please?

many others might not
Out of curiosity, what were the approximate numbers of people (to your knowledge) confessing to finding these counters inexplicable?

hard for me to see how the addition of labels infringes on the enjoyment
Have you LOOKED at them?

I use those counters all the time (in past versions) and now I'm seriously reconsidering doing that.

That depends on the number of people who made the request. If the answer to that question is "0" (as I strongly suspect to be the case) then the question answers itself.

The labels can be removed in subsequent VASL updates if yours is the common reaction.
So can I remove them NOW? How far away is the next update?

BTW, labeling prep fire counters and unit counters as you suggest is not logical, it's silly. You know it and I know it.
Yes, it is, isn't it? And yet you labelled the EC counters.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I downloaded the new vmod fine, but when trying to load board 13b I get the following error. Note that I do not have 13b on my computer, however, I did not have 13a on my computer, and it apparently worked and got it off the web. I also opened up SpanishFury1 which I did not even know about, and it downloaded fine. After downloading the boards separately it is fine. Is this a time-out issue and I have bad throughput on my internet connection? It took seconds to download the 13b from the download site.

Last edited: