VASL 6.4

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Absolutely think it should be optional--maybe even a toggle to turn it on and off, like with units and overlays? Possibly having counters display differently to different players is a fairly difficult problem? Although it is implemented in the context of concealment.

By the way, pins were another counter that I would like to see in national colors!

Agreed that British/Japanese colors on a white background is bad, and so is pin/TI on a Russian background. Probably having a national color background and black texts (on the national-color background information counters only) is the best solution.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I have no examples. I use vasl exclusively by myself, mostly for making up pictures to post to gamesquad. I was brought to the question by posts on this thread. Since I am trying to get a grip on how the vasl/VASSAL code works, I investigated the question and figured out how to "hack" the buildfile. I then imagined what I/another player might find useful given no restrictions. The ideas are just "thinking out loud," so perhaps some/all of them are not useful to anyone. Even if they were useful to some people, they don't strike me as being high priority. But every so often I am surprised to find what I think is not useful is the most important item to others.

JR
I'm thinking out loud with you and polling the crowd.

BTW, you might find using the zoom levels editor easier/faster next time you want to tweak them. Edit Module...Map Window -> Zoom Capability.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm thinking out loud with you and polling the crowd.

BTW, you might find using the zoom levels editor easier/faster next time you want to tweak them. Edit Module...Map Window -> Zoom Capability.
That is a lot better than what I suggested. I have not looked at the design-time capabilities of VASSAL/vasl yet, but to those who want to change their zoom levels, I heartily recommend this instead.

JR

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That would be real nice. My new 4k monitor makes things VERY small. I have to zoom to 200% to see the boards. All the menus are very small as well, and the largest font size available in the control window is bearly readable. I suspect more and more people will be getting these more advanced monitors and will also start having issues.
Realistically this would have to be done in VASSAL. VASL has minimal control over things like menus and fonts. The counters and maps are not going to scale well either as they're standard gif images.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have no examples. I use vasl exclusively by myself, mostly for making up pictures to post to gamesquad. I was brought to the question by posts on this thread. Since I am trying to get a grip on how the vasl/VASSAL code works, I investigated the question and figured out how to "hack" the buildfile. I then imagined what I/another player might find useful given no restrictions. The ideas are just "thinking out loud," so perhaps some/all of them are not useful to anyone. Even if they were useful to some people, they don't strike me as being high priority. But every so often I am surprised to find what I think is not useful is the most important item to others.

JR
Everything in the buildFile can be changed via the VASSAL editor. That's the preferred approach.

buser333

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned before (or if it's even the place to do it), but it would be nice to have a "lock" feature on counters to prevent them from gaining concealment when working with large stacks of units, particularly large stacks with multi-level counters).

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
are we going to see the ability to alter the national counters colours in VASL 6.4, that would be cool to see that doable again.