VASL 6.4

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
The tricky part is obtaining consensus on how this should work; --
Thanks for the reply David. When you say that, I get the impression that you are saying that it is impossible to have normal counter offset (as it is now by default) and NOT see any information from the counters after-the-first? Because I cannot see how anyone could not think that this is how it should work.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I would still like to see a message "<so and so> is inspecting hex <whatever>" when they mouse over or expand stacks owned by me. For those who would not like that message, maybe an option to turn it off the text messages, but not an option for your opponent to turn it off when he inspects your stacks.
Hm, I dunno if this would really make things better. If a mouse-over triggers such a message, your opponent might have to be VERY careful where he moves his mouse. I am pretty sure that most "illegal"-alerts might be caused by inadvertedly triggered mouse-overs, which would in turn create distrust where it might not be warranted.

I believe, we are better off without such a message. You might rather ask your opponent to turn off the option "expand stacks on mouse-over" and maybe program a message generated at the start of the session (or when that option is switched) if it is currently turned on or off by the opponent.

Edit:
My idea might still create some extra messages now and then, for example if guests enter the room. No comparison, though, to all the messages that would be created by guests if they would be triggered by any mouse-over as originally proposed.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hm, I dunno if this would really make things better. If a mouse-over triggers such a message, your opponent might have to be VERY careful where he moves his mouse. I am pretty sure that most illegal alerts might be by inadvertedly triggered mouse-overs, which would in turn create distrust where it might not be warranted.

I believe, we are better off without such a message. You might rather ask your opponent to turn off the option "expand stacks on mouse-over" and maybe program a message generated at the start of the session (or when that option is switched) if it is currently turned on or off.

von Marwitz
I think that's a winner.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the reply David. When you say that, I get the impression that you are saying that it is impossible to have normal counter offset (as it is now by default) and NOT see any information from the counters after-the-first? Because I cannot see how anyone could not think that this is how it should work.
I do feel it is rather still a moot point. what EXACTLY are you "giving up" in free information on a non concealed stack of counters when the underlines can be seen for assault, spray and ML? There is a 99 % chance the stack is unconcealed for a VERY good reason - it is in LOS of a enemy unit, and therefore CANNOT conceal, and Right of Inspection applies anyway. There is no such " giveaway" of anything at all on a concealed stack. concealed stacks are 100% concealed, including any "underlines". but really, it's never been an issue as far as I know. I do not play VASL for sheep stations or a testicle transplant, so I am not at all concerned if you as my opponent gain some " game winning advantage" by seeing there is a SW or MMC with spray fire in that particular stack. Personally, just go with the option to make them all whited out like previous VASL versions if you are concerned enough that your opponent is going to win a decisive advantage over you because he knows where your 5 ML MMC set up before you both did pre-game concealment. or whatever the situation may be. Seriously, I see this as a tempest in a teacup item. The underline being visible in a stack that was already in your LOS at some point and now is not means yeah, you might forget where my HMG team was, but I am betting the dead squads from its previous shot before skulking back are going to allow you to remember well who EXACTLY has that HMG - all game, in your LOS or not, as long as the stacks remain unconcealed. ( Since concealing removes all underlines, too, it is not relevant.)

KRL, Jon H

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I think the reasons why many of us feel this should be fixed has been gone through enough times that they don't need to be repeated anymore. However, I just wanted to say that I personally don't really even care that much if my opponent sees something from my stacks. It's that I don't want to see anything I am not supposed to.

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do feel it is rather still a moot point. what EXACTLY are you "giving up" in free information on a non concealed stack of counters when the underlines can be seen for assault, spray and ML? There is a 99 % chance the stack is unconcealed for a VERY good reason - it is in LOS of a enemy unit, and therefore CANNOT conceal, and Right of Inspection applies anyway. There is no such " giveaway" of anything at all on a concealed stack. concealed stacks are 100% concealed, including any "underlines". but really, it's never been an issue as far as I know. I do not play VASL for sheep stations or a testicle transplant, so I am not at all concerned if you as my opponent gain some " game winning advantage" by seeing there is a SW or MMC with spray fire in that particular stack. Personally, just go with the option to make them all whited out like previous VASL versions if you are concerned enough that your opponent is going to win a decisive advantage over you because he knows where your 5 ML MMC set up before you both did pre-game concealment. or whatever the situation may be. Seriously, I see this as a tempest in a teacup item. The underline being visible in a stack that was already in your LOS at some point and now is not means yeah, you might forget where my HMG team was, but I am betting the dead squads from its previous shot before skulking back are going to allow you to remember well who EXACTLY has that HMG - all game, in your LOS or not, as long as the stacks remain unconcealed. ( Since concealing removes all underlines, too, it is not relevant.)

KRL, Jon H
Amen.. there are more important things to focus efforts on.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
The effort seems to be miniscule. Revert f91804a6de52a55724a17036eedb861491f65e2d and we should be back to where we were and then we can see if there is a way to implement this better.

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
The effort seems to be miniscule. Revert f91804a6de52a55724a17036eedb861491f65e2d and we should be back to where we were and then we can see if there is a way to implement this better.
Hey, really? That sounds great. Can you see what was trying to be fixed with the change?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
The white boxes for counters other than the top one.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hm, I dunno if this would really make things better. If a mouse-over triggers such a message, your opponent might have to be VERY careful where he moves his mouse. I am pretty sure that most "illegal"-alerts might be caused by inadvertedly triggered mouse-overs, which would in turn create distrust where it might not be warranted.

I believe, we are better off without such a message. You might rather ask your opponent to turn off the option "expand stacks on mouse-over" and maybe program a message generated at the start of the session (or when that option is switched) if it is currently turned on or off by the opponent.

Edit:
My idea might still create some extra messages now and then, for example if guests enter the room. No comparison, though, to all the messages that would be created by guests if they would be triggered by any mouse-over as originally proposed.

von Marwitz
Actually this is fine for me too. I don't want to make this a huge burden and trust everyone I have played with maybe one exception. I just don't want to play where my opponent has free stack inspection regardless of LOS and I don't.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Actually this is fine for me too. I don't want to make this a huge burden and trust everyone I have played with maybe one exception. I just don't want to play where my opponent has free stack inspection regardless of LOS and I don't.
Fair enough. In fact it seems that the VASL-Code Gnomes are quite clever by encouraging some discussion here because it does seem to serve the purpose of developing some ideas on how to potentially tackle things including feedback on strengths and weaknesses of these ideas. For these reasons, I like such threads and am glad if I can provide some ideas as well as receive positive or negative criticism on them.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Some improvements that I would like to see :

- put the "white" counters in the "Veh" folder of nationality counters, rather than in the "SW" one (exepted for skis, all those counters are closer to vehicles : cycles, wagons, sledges).
- remove the "HIP" option for the Turn marker (it is totally useless, and as it is place at the top of the list, just above Flip, I often "hide" the marker when I want to flip it).

- Perhaps not possible : have a synchronized Phase marker - Turn marker progression system (i.e. when moving to the next player RPh, the Turn marker Flips and, if appropriate, moves to the next Turn box).
- Turn track : use only one, but with an "increase/decrease" option.
- For the "increase/decrease" shortkeys, offer a combination which works on all keyboards.
- Perhaps not possible : have a function (perhaps in the Mapboard options) which marks all given specific hexes as victory hexes (or as controled by a given side) : I am setting up BFP-110 Polish Panzergrenadiers, where all 3 level hill and all building hexes are victory objectives. It is a pain to mark them all.
- Create a "Post-it" style note (more elaborate than a label-line 1-2-3 marker) where one can write text (e.g. a summary of the VC or of important SSR).

But, whatever you want or can do, I want to congratulate you for the excellent work that you have done up to now. :thumbsup:

R.Beef

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aloha - I would like to see more zoom level differentials b/w the 67-100% (eg. 80, 85, 90, 95%).

Thanks!

R.Beef

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe you can set any desired zoom manually already.

von Marwitz
Yup - sorry I wasn't clear - I meant more levels so that you can cycle through w/ the zoom level shortcut buttons (plus, minus) without having to enter the text of your perferrred zoom level.

Perhaps it would be possible to change the levels on the standard list as a configuration option.
Bingo!

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps it would be possible to change the levels on the standard list as a configuration option.

JR
That would be real nice. My new 4k monitor makes things VERY small. I have to zoom to 200% to see the boards. All the menus are very small as well, and the largest font size available in the control window is bearly readable. I suspect more and more people will be getting these more advanced monitors and will also start having issues.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
That would be real nice. My new 4k monitor makes things VERY small. I have to zoom to 200% to see the boards. All the menus are very small as well, and the largest font size available in the control window is bearly readable. I suspect more and more people will be getting these more advanced monitors and will also start having issues.
edit: instead of doing the below, you can make the changes using the module editor instead: Changing the zoom using the module editor

JR

If you are feeling adventurous you can do this today. Find your vasl .vmod file (current version). MAKE A BACKUP COPY! Open the .vmod file using an archive program like zip or archive manager. If you are on a windows machine you may find it easier to rename the .vmod file to .zip. If you have "hide known extensions" turned on, you may find it easier to turn that off. If you don't know what these are and you can't figure out how to do these (google), you are not feeling adventurous.

Search inside the .zip file for a file named "buildfile". Extract that file only. It should be extracted to the same directory as the .vmod/.zip file.

Open buildfile with a text editor; notepad or similar will do. Search for the string "zoomLevels" (note the ess at the end). You should see a string like: zoomLevels="0.19753086419753085,0.2962962962962963,0.4444444444444444,0.6666666666666666,1.0,1.5"

The quoted text is a list of zoom levels that the zoomer displays. Change it to be the list you want, comma separated. DO NOT ADD CARRIAGE RETURNS TO THE FILE NOR ALLOW ANY PROGRAM TO CHANGE THE END-OF-LINE CHARACTERS UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Just make sure the list is comma-separated floating point numbers. I would not add spaces either, although that might be harmless. For a bonus, you can change the value of zoomStart, which is the integer offset of the value in the list that is the default at start. The offset is reversed, so "1" is the right-most value and N (where there are N elements in the list) is the left-most. If you made your list, "0.5,0.75,1.0,1.5,2.0" and used a zoomStart of 2, your at-start zoom level would be 1.5. Your zoomStart value has to be in the range 1..N of the list you made, so if you shortened the list, make sure the zoomStart is < N.

Add buildfile back into the .vmod/.zip file. If you renamed your .vmod file to .zip, rename it back to .vmod. If you can't see the .zip extension, turn off "hide known extensions."

Start vasl normally. Your startup zoom and zoom list should reflect the changes you made.

You made a backup copy, didn't you? If not, download the .vmod from the web again to repair the damage if it fails.

JR

Last edited: