VASL 6.4.2-beta3 is now available here

New in version 6.4.2:
  • Counter Fixes:
    • US M5 76L AT Gun smoke
    • LVT4 shows 0 armor
    • Chinese FT should have X9
    • German 548 AE error
  • Code Enhancements:
    • Improvements to LOS Thread information label placement so that thread is never obscured.
    • Help text files updated
    • Added Chatter text for Sniper Activation dr when using SA button
    • Added Chatter text for Booby Traps when using TC button (players must add booby trap information to Scenario Information (INFO button))
  • Code Bug Fixes:
    • Resolved LOS problem and overlay problem with BFP DW boards
    • LOS checking to and from hex vertices
Board updates/changes are not part of the VASL module itself, but I am going to use the opportunity of this message to highlight a number of recent additions/changes
  • bd51 steeple on H2 added
  • Added bd78, with LOS data
  • Added LOS data to bd79 and BFP PiF and ITR2 boards
  • bdv PTO transformation bug fixed
  • bd62 missing Light Woods transformation fixed
  • HS17 Water Foul overlay added to Riley’s Road board
  • Added bdDSL (LCP Drive for Saint Lo)

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
My First Bug report on VASL 6.4.2beta3 -- and it's a doozy:facepalm:

The problem I've found is Booby Trapped! The problem isn't about the TC chatter, but the fact that the "allied ELR" box is all but unusable.

Granted, it does little game-wise, but it IS something to look at; now, I can't put any ELR data into the box, because it is about one pixel wide.
It's not terrible as long as I'm only updating Starter Kit scenarios, it's not good in the complete game.

I'm updating scenarios using the earlier beta test until this gets fixed.

Larry

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Doug, I've been trying out VASL 6.4.2beta3, and It's Booby-Trapped!! :eek:

Not so much the TC boxes, but the Allied ELR box is about one pixel wide, which makes it unusable.

Granted, the ELR boxes don't do much in the game, but it is nice to have something to look at.

I am going to continue updating Starter Kit scenarios, but I'll be doing it with the earlier beta test until this gets fixed.

Larry

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Larry

Thanks for this. Just checked on my machine and the Allied ELR box looks nice and fat, the ? is fully visible and there is room to add a value.

Anyone else having this same issue as Larry?

I will check under the hood and see if somehow I changed something inadvertently.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Larry

Thanks for this. Just checked on my machine and the Allied ELR box looks nice and fat, the ? is fully visible and there is room to add a value.

Anyone else having this same issue as Larry?

I will check under the hood and see if somehow I changed something inadvertently.
no mate, I have it open etc.. all good.

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Hmmmm!:dontknow
Just rechecked the "Info" box, and all is well!:hellyes:

I don't know what the deal was this AM (Russian trolls, perhaps?):wtf:

Thx just the same for looking at this. Back to the beta 3 goodness

Larry

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think you mean Olympic trolls from a place called Russia.

Glad all is well.

Let me know what you think of the sniper text in chatter (when you roll 1 or 2 on the SA button). It may be too long.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think you mean Olympic trolls from a place called Russia.

Glad all is well.

Let me know what you think of the sniper text in chatter (when you roll 1 or 2 on the SA button). It may be too long.
It is long but it’s a good reminder.

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
THEY'RE BAAAACK!!!
.... And I am not talking about that moose and squirrel, either!

I am, of course, referring to the problem with the Allied ELR window in the "Info" window in VASL 3.4.2 beta3, and how it "squashes" down to a window that is SO narrow that data cannot be entered into it.

From my research:
The problem does NOT present itself when I create a new setup. That works just fine.
The problem (bug?) DOES present itself when updating scenarios which were previously set up under older versions of VASL.
I have gotten these results from VASL 3.4.0, all the way back to 5.9.2. I have not yet tried anything from 3.4.1, but I am not optimistic.
So, Houston, could you take a look at this from the viewpoint of updating from one level of VASL to another?
One more thing -- how to reset an Info window w/o wiping out the whole scenario setup and starting again from scratch? This is bloody important to people who have over a thousand scenario setups and are too old to completely rebuild their collection of pixels.

Larry

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
From my research:
The problem does NOT present itself when I create a new setup. That works just fine.
The problem (bug?) DOES present itself when updating scenarios which were previously set up under older versions of VASL.
I have gotten these results from VASL 3.4.0, all the way back to 5.9.2. I have not yet tried anything from 3.4.1, but I am not optimistic.
So, Houston, could you take a look at this from the viewpoint of updating from one level of VASL to another?
One more thing -- how to reset an Info window w/o wiping out the whole scenario setup and starting again from scratch? This is bloody important to people who have over a thousand scenario setups and are too old to completely rebuild their collection of pixels.

Larry
Thanks for this. I have opened a bunch of my saved games to see if i can replicate the problem. I need to go all the way back to 5.9.2 before I get the issue you describe. The problem persists even after converting a 5.9.2 game to 6.2, saving and then re-opening.

This is the first bug that I have created that effects different versions! I will work on a fix. Tweaking the 5.9.2 converter might resolve things for older games. In your 6.0+ games, did all of them have ELR and SAN data entered?

Doug

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Thx 4 looking into this. I have a number of scenario setups with numerous levels of VASL, and have seen this problem over any scenario That I try to update. New setups work just fine.
This could well be due to any number of my setups which go all the way back to VASL 5.-whatever (even 4.-whatever!), and have been updated time and again ever since.

Larry

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thx 4 looking into this. I have a number of scenario setups with numerous levels of VASL, and have seen this problem over any scenario That I try to update. New setups work just fine.
This could well be due to any number of my setups which go all the way back to VASL 5.-whatever (even 4.-whatever!), and have been updated time and again ever since.

Larry
Well, I found some bugs (hopefully ALL of them) and fixed them. Note to self: need to be more rigorous about backward compatibility testing. The bugs were all down to my code changes to add in booby trap reporting. Sorry for the headache. Anyway, you can download the new version of beta3 by using the same link in my original post. I would appreciate it if you would run a few tests on various saved games to check that it works well on your system. Thanks.

Unfortunately, you may (ok, will) experience issues with ScenInfo for games that you have created/saved using the initial version of vasl-6.4.2-beta3. You should be able to re-enter the data and have it work correctly. Let me know if you have any other problems.

Doug

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Doug,
I loaded up your new and kewl version of beta 3, and it appears to work.
I updated a number of scenarios (Starter Kit) and have tried a couple that have not yet been updated (even one from 5.9.2!) and they all show a proper info window.
And yes, the booby traps also work, although one has to input them in CAPS (not sure how necessary that is)

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Since you have gained a considerable amount of expertise in manipulating the Info window, I am wondering if it would be possible to expand the ELR and SAN windows so that they could accommodate three characters, or two characters with a "/" sandwiched in between them?
For example, something like this: "2/3"
It would then be possible to fully display ELR and/or SAN numbers in situations where different units have different values attached to them, or, say, scenarios where the SAN number changes for different units or different events in the scenario.

Since we've lived with the current Info box for so long, we may be going an innovation too far, but it is something to think about.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The changes you suggest are doable, certainly. They do not present a particular problem from a coding perspective. I would implement them slightly differently but it can be done. It would add a degree of complexity both to the information box for users and to the code that may not be worthwhile . . . but that is not for me to say. If someone wants to code it, they can. Personally, I have a few other coding priorities lined up ahead of this.

I will create this suggestion as an issue in the GitHub repository so that we don't lose sight of it.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
scenarios where the SAN number changes for different units or different events in the scenario.
What scenarios are those? Obviously the SAN can change in any scenario, which just requires a quick update in the info box to implement, but I can't think of any where the SAN is two or more different values simultaneously.

Even if one such scenario exists, somewhere, I hardly think that would justify a modification to VASL core code.

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
What scenarios are those? Obviously the SAN can change in any scenario, which just requires a quick update in the info box to implement, but I can't think of any where the SAN is two or more different values simultaneously.

Even if one such scenario exists, somewhere, I hardly think that would justify a modification to VASL core code.
It is not that uncommon to have two different forces on the same side having two different ELR ratings.
I will grant that two given forces with simultaneously different SANs is quite rare, perhaps even non-existent. I cannot think of a scenario where this actually occurs.