VASL 6.4.2-beta3 now available

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
@DougRim , mate - this got me thinking - re having a notification mechanism around ELR

I can imagine how having VASL aware of which unit you are rolling MCs for and what MC it is and therefore being able to tell you that your unit may have ELR'd is quite the challenge

However, what if ..

while doing MC rolls, VASL takes the opponent ELR that is already in the Information Box, subtract that off the MC DR and display a note saying "Unit may have ELR'd if its ML is lower than [MC DR # - ELR #] if this is a MC with no DRM"

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
@DougRim , mate - this got me thinking - re having a notification mechanism around ELR

I can imagine how having VASL aware of which unit you are rolling MCs for and what MC it is and therefore being able to tell you that your unit may have ELR'd is quite the challenge

However, what if ..

while doing MC rolls, VASL takes the opponent ELR that is already in the Information Box, subtract that off the MC DR and display a note saying "Unit may have ELR'd if its ML is lower than [MC DR # - ELR #] if this is a MC with no DRM"
Interesting idea and would make more use of the ELR info than is done now. As far as I know, information added to the ScenInfo Panel for ELR is never used by the game. It could be. I wonder if in your suggestion there are still too many unknowns (MC#, fanatic, encircled, broken) to make it a useful message, and since it would pop up every time the MC button is pushed, perhaps players would just not see it after a while. I am happy to keep thinking about how we might use ELR info. Most people that I play against add it to their Sniper Counter as an information label, but even that has limited value when snipers get buried in counter intense scenarios.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Interesting idea and would make more use of the ELR info than is done now. As far as I know, information added to the ScenInfo Panel for ELR is never used by the game. It could be. I wonder if in your suggestion there are still too many unknowns (MC#, fanatic, encircled, broken) to make it a useful message, and since it would pop up every time the MC button is pushed, perhaps players would just not see it after a while. I am happy to keep thinking about how we might use ELR info. Most people that I play against add it to their Sniper Counter as an information label, but even that has limited value when snipers get buried in counter intense scenarios.
Thanks for taking a look mate, adding ELR as a label on my Sniper is what I do at the moment.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
It is not that uncommon to have two different forces on the same side having two different ELR ratings.
Which is why I said nothing about the split ELR ratings in my post. As has already been mentioned, currently it's just text any way.

I will grant that two given forces with simultaneously different SANs is quite rare, perhaps even non-existent. I cannot think of a scenario where this actually occurs.
So why did you suggest it? "Hey, let's expend time and effort to code for a circumstance that can almost certainly never happen!" I think our lovely VASL volunteers can put their time to better use.

What would be great to see, though, albeit I suspect that it would have to cover a heck of a lot more than just the info box, is three-player support (as in, scenarios with three discrete sides; these are becoming more common). The major problems that I can think of, aside from needing to be able to support 3 different SAN values, is dealing with two different enemy forces, either or both of which may be concealed (i.e., the software needs to be able to recognise that units are owned by one of three possible sides, not the current one of two.) Maybe that's not such a hard thing, though, I wouldn't know. It's all magic to me. :) [I wonder if it would require an additional choice when setting up a new game -- "number of sides in this scenario?" -- defaulting to "two", of course.]

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I believe so as the issue related to it on GitHub has been closed. As you know there is some history on this one. Fix should be in the 6.4.2 official release.