VASL 6.4.1 Official release

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
VASL 6.4.1 is officially released on the VASL website. Get it here.

Release notes:

Counter fixes:
Remove extra traits from Japanese Crews
Pull extra HOB, CX and Pin traits from jaLDR1 prototype
Counter background for Ahkio
Remove turret from GAS-4M-AA
Wreck MG note
2 missing ATR notes
Black TH typo
Red crew survival changes
Italian vehicle fixes
Assorted Romanian Gun info fixes

Preference for colored or white stack counters:
6.4.1 contains a preference that allows players to choose whether counters underneath a stack show as white or as colored. To set the preference:

Click on the File menu.
Click on Preferences.
Select the General tab.
Select/Unselect the "Disable full color stacks" option.

Note that you must restart VASL for your choice to take effect.

Code changes:
Minor bug fixes. Nothing worth talking about.

Board changes:
As we keep trying to wrestle LOS problems to the ground, we sometimes have to update the board files. A bunch of boards will update automatically if you have automatic board synchronization (requires VASL 6.3.0 and above). If you are using a version below this then don’t worry the board changes won’t affect anything anyway. But the new versions are on the website.

The only thank you this time around goes to Zoltan Grose who did all the work.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Thanks, guys! Quick question:

When you state, "boards will update automatically if you have automatic board synchronization (requires VASL 6.3.0 and above)," does this mean that the latest boards are actually downloaded into the user's board folder, or are they just shown in the current instance of VASL play as long as VASL can connect to the source files over teh Intrawebs?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Door #1: they are actually downloaded into the user's board folder.

You should see a message in the chat area like this:

- Board 22 is out of date. Updating...
- Update succeeded
- Using board(s): 22(v6.3)

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
You mean, it is set for "coloured stacks", but it should not be that as the default. "Hey guys! Want to cheat when you play ASL? Don't worry, the defaults will take care of that."

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone else gotten a weird LOS string and corresponding text box (distance and hindrance). Never did an LOS, but I'm getting these weird visuals.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Has anyone else gotten a weird LOS string and corresponding text box (distance and hindrance). Never did an LOS, but I'm getting these weird visuals.
I find that if you locate and click on the button with "los" in small caps - the situation will go away.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
May be an issue we identified previously - When Player A presses the down arrow key to move a counter to the bottom of a stack, and LOS string appears on Player B's map.

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I cannot seem to make this LOS feature work (see below description from 6.4.0). I suspect this is an operator error. Can someone provide a simple explanation on using this. Small words and pictures appreciated :)

Fixes:
Improvements to LOS checking, especially with respect to depressions and cliff hexsides. Using UpArrow/DownArrow keys and CTRL-UpArrow/DownArrow to change level of target/firer in LOS check results now displays on opponent’s device as well. Plus, same keys can be used to switch LOS check from base hex to entrenchment if one is present in the hex. Entrenchment is “below” the base hex.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
New question:

Now that MMP have revealed work on a new DASL project, will any effort be made to upgrade DASL to VASL v6?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It depends on the quality of the gruel when they release it George. The maggots at least provide protein but lately even the maggots won't touch the stuff.

Okay, I kid...

I recall there's issues but don't recall what they are. Is there a thread you can point me to? Be glad to look into this.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Jesus, isn't this on the existing "problems that need to be fixed" list in flashing red text? I mean, it's only been since VASL 5.9.3 that the DASL overlays stopped working. I guess that might be a bit too recent for people to be fully aware of the issues. If you want a real challenge, search the VASL folder for threads on DASL that don't complain about this problem. You'll have to go back a long, long way.

Issue 1: DASL overlays do not work. At all. (They do not size correctly and they do not orient correctly.)

Issue 2: The DASL boards produced by HoB/BFP are only available in in very old versions (1.1 and 1.0 respectively) that are not compatible with any other VASL DASL board (they are sized wrongly and hence don't match up). They work OK as singletons but of course there aren't many single-map DASL scenarios. Also, the artwork on these two maps doesn't really match the current 6.x standard (unlike the LFT DASL maps which, blessedly, were reworked so that they do match, unlike the physical boards).