VASL 6.4.1 Official release

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bruce cracks me up. I do admire his unfiltered passion for THE game :)

Issue 1 was fixed with the release of the Overlay module extension. You can download it here: VaslOverlays.vmdx

Once you've placed this extension in your extensions folder, be sure to read the Overlay Extension help file. I'm here if you still have questions.

Issue 2...I wasn't aware such boards existed. I don't own them so that limits what I can do to help. If I had scans maybe I could fix this issue but permission for these scans would need to come from HoB and BFP.

Anything else?

Allan

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Issue 1 was fixed with the release of the Overlay module extension. You can download it here: VaslOverlays.vmdx
http://vasl.info/extensions.htm

Well, I'm not sure how that counts as "fixing" the problem, since the overlay files still don't work with the current version of VASL. It's a pretty narrow definition of "fixing": "yeah, we're just going to ignore that".

To quote the Help file you told me to read:

"The VASL Module Overlay Extension offers an alternative placement method for terrain overlays while using VASL."

"Alternative" is not the same as "fix". I don't remember anyone saying when the overlay extension was introduced "we say it's optional, but actually it isn't". You need to be clearer about the message.

Also, if no-one is going to fix the overlay files, why are they still offered as part of the "standard overlays" download bundle on VASL.info?

That being said ... it all seems to work OK. It's just a shame that no-one mentioned it the last dozen times the complaint was raised.

Issue 2...I wasn't aware such boards existed. I don't own them so that limits what I can do to help. If I had scans maybe I could fix this issue but permission for these scans would need to come from HoB and BFP.
I believe the HoB map was reprinted by BFP any way so I don't think HoB needs to get involved, which is just as well. I can go poke BFP.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Al - thankyou so very much for all the hardwork you did for us. It's absolutely thankless at times, but hey, I probably wouldn't be playing nearly as much had it not been your hardwork and the hardwork from the whole VASL crew.

Thankyou.

Rgds Jack

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VASL Overlay Extension general rule...

If an overlay doesn’t work the old way, try the extension. If that works then consider the extension as required. The extension is the future. If it’s broke the old way, it’ll be fixed the new way. Same applies to new overlays like BFPs ITR2.

Eventually the extension will be the only way. It takes time to incorporate all the overlays though so in the meantime, you have both.

Bruce, go poke BFP and I’ll see what I can do to fix issue two.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Question: Does "trying the extension" simply mean to put it in the Extensions folder?
That’s part of it George. Once in your extension folder, open VASL and you’ll see an overlays icon in the upper menu bar of the VASL controls window. Click on it to open the terrain overlays window. Drag and drop overlays from this window onto the map.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Is anyone else having problems with 6.4.1 and the LOS tool causing crashes?

Thanks,
Alan
I believe the trick to free a frozen LOS tool is to click on the LOS button(s). I think it happens if both players try to string LOS at the same time. One player then does not see the LOS anymore and is stuck. If the other then hits the LOS buttons, it is free again. So I *think* I have seen the problem described here somewhere earlier. But no guarantee - I am still using v6.3.3.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Is anyone else having problems with 6.4.1 and the LOS tool causing crashes
It's virtually guaranteed to crash with an "oops! I found a bug!" error the first time I use it in any game. After that it seems to work OK? I would generally class the LOS tool as fairly porked but seemingly in a harmless way. I'm not really fussed so long as there is a string visible on the screen; I can calculate blind hexes etc. for myself.

I would hazard a guess that the LOS engine has consumed a lot of volunteer programming hours for almost zero return .... <shrug>

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Is anyone else having problems with 6.4.1 and the LOS tool causing crashes?

Thanks,
Alan
BTW, if you can copy/paste as much of the logging information as you can find to a thread here on GameSquad, you can probably help squash whatever it is faster.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I would hazard a guess that the LOS engine has consumed a lot of volunteer programming hours for almost zero return .... <shrug>
Since I have not yet moved to v6.4.x I cannot judge the LOS tool. But...

I believe to make it work eventually, you have to start somewhere. To test, to try - and yes - to make mistakes and to find and fix bugs. Rome was not built in a day, nor is the LOS-tool.

While not everyone might need it, I think that everyone would appreciate it, if it functions one day (and even before it works perfectly). It might not be apparent, how long it will take to make it happen when working on it. Thus I do not subscribe to the point of view that the effort invested in it has had almost zero return.

von Marwitz

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed that the LOS crashes frequently in the new version. And not the old crash where two people are trying to check LOS at the same time. Typically I get the crash notice when my opponent is stringing LOS and I'm not even touching the board. It happened the last time I played Scott a few days ago. I believe we're both using the newest version.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Try emptying your extensions folder and see if you get this anonymous crash. Would be a helpful test if no one is going to paste up logs.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll definitely post up logs next time it happens. FWIW, I always hit the "send" button when the crash report pops up. So the log is out there somewhere.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Whatever is sent goes to the VASSAL guy and I'm not sure is it accessible to the VASL guys.

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BTW, if you can copy/paste as much of the logging information as you can find to a thread here on GameSquad, you can probably help squash whatever it is faster.
Will do. Last time the error happened, I was playing back a vlog file in which a LOS was drawn. Got the "Oops!" window and briefly looked at the exception, and it was a null reference exception. Next time I see it happen, I'll be sure to copy and paste the offending error message here.

Thanks very much,
Alan