VASL 6.4.0 is now released

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well done Doug! Thank you. 10 geek gold for you...err, wrong forum. Well you get a Like instead.

I'll be adding more overlays to the overlay extension as time permits. Lots of non-ASL stuff going on in my life right now. I know, priorities right.

A friendly reminder to anyone using the extension...once an overlay is placed, use ALT + Left Click to reselect it.

Allan

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Did you add any new overlays to this extension? To me, it looks like the extension that has been available through the beta testing.
Larry

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Did you add any new overlays to this extension? To me, it looks like the extension that has been available through the beta testing.
Larry
See the previous message in this thread. Al is adding, and will continue to add, new overlays to the extension. But it won't all happen at once.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awesome! Loving the piece linker, especially.

I hate to have an opinion on the concealed-counters issue that is so fractious, but do you think it would be possible to toggle on the 6.3 behavior for one's own pieces? This keeps you from seeing the opponent's underlines, but lets you still enjoy at least some of the benefits of seeing bits of counters underneath.

Also, I notice that in 6.4, the underlying-counters-code is behaving how I think everybody wants it to behave when a counter stack is selected. Under these circumstances:
1) You can see the image of underlying counters when they are covered by information counters.
2) You can see the image of underlying counters when they are covered by your own concealment counter.
3) You cannot see the image of underlying counters when they are covered by your opponent's concealment counter.
I had to zoom in real far to confirm that #2 and #3 are happening, but in fact they are. Forgive me if this has been pointed out a million times (I monitor the VASL forum irregularly), but I thought it is worth saying that the problem has been solved for selected stacks. My guess is that this is just a special case of what happens when stacks are expanded, and so whatever makes that solution inapplicable to unexpanded stacks is also a problem here. But I thought it was worth pointing out just in case.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anybody experienced any problems with the LOS in this version? I'm trying LOS on the RB v2.2 map on a game saved made with 6.4.0-beta1 and the LOS string is not even close to the center dots. LOS worked perfectly last night using the beta version.

LOS.JPG

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Has anybody experienced any problems with the LOS in this version? I'm trying LOS on the RB v2.2 map on a game saved made with 6.4.0-beta1 and the LOS string is not even close to the center dots. LOS worked perfectly last night using the beta version.

View attachment 1818
Just tested it myself and got the same issue. Damn! Had this working for sure. Will investigate. Suspect it may be a board file issue. Stay tuned.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for looking into it so quickly!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Just tested it myself and got the same issue. Damn! Had this working for sure. Will investigate. Suspect it may be a board file issue. Stay tuned.
I dimly remember that 'back in the days' there used to be a problem with LOS offset that usually only came to bear on larger maps (thus usually HASLs). IIRC the reason behind this was a minimal offset per hex that was neglible in the usual scope of 1 to 3 geo-boards but added up cumulatively on large HASL maps.

Looking at the coordinate I17, though, it seems unlikely that this could be the issue here as there is not much offset to add up to that point in case the zero-point would be A0.

von Marwitz

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I dimly remember that 'back in the days' there used to be a problem with LOS offset that usually only came to bear on larger maps (thus usually HASLs). IIRC the reason behind this was a minimal offset per hex that was neglible in the usual scope of 1 to 3 geo-boards but added up cumulatively on large HASL maps.

Looking at the coordinate I17, though, it seems unlikely that this could be the issue here as there is not much offset to add up to that point in case the zero-point would be A0.

von Marwitz
Thanks for the thought. There is a larger offset due to the fact that the RB board does not start with the center of row A at the board edge as the geo maps do. I had to take that into account when I was working on cropping and flipping. I have done something to screw it up. I just did a test and if you crop the RB board (using crop to middle of hex row), the los line draws properly. Clubby, if you crop the RB board using A and JJ as the hex rows, you will get a (nearly) full map with the los string showing properly - you will just lose a bit of the A and JJ hexes; they will be cropped to half-hexes. That might help you until I get this fixed properly.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
  • Counter linking. You can link two counters together and display a line showing the link. Great for Guns and acquisition counters or firer-target pairs. To link: select any two counters, CTRL-ALT-L. Linkline will show. Click elsewhere and Linkline will disappear. Reclick one of the counters and Linkline will reappear. To end link, select both counters, CTRL-ALT-U.
Seems a bad choice of keys for the linux guys. CTL-ALT-L 'locks' the screen. Suppose I can find a workaround, but can that be changed via a VASL preference option (or perhaps via the right click on a counter option list)?

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Perhaps I am doing something incorrectly, but I am showing white counters under the top counter in all my stacks, not just the concealed ones. So a residual counter placed on a stack makes all the ones underneath blank white. The stack can still be seen just fine by hovering the mouse over it, as per normal.

I have no issue with the white counters under "?", but it seems a bit much to have my stack be blanked out by an offset resid counter.

Anyways, thanks for your hard work on VASL, and keep it coming!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi,
Thank you for the information.
I just have a question about the draggable overlays.
For buildings (x#), it only has x1 to x5 and x30, after what I see.
Where can I find the other ones?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,
Thank you for the information.
I just have a question about the draggable overlays.
For buildings (x#), it only has x1 to x5 and x30, after what I see.
Where can I find the other ones?
They're not converted yet. Consider the current version of the extension a proof of concept. Now that I see it in use and folks seem to like it, I'll add more overlays as time permits for me to do so. The plan is that eventually all overlays will be assimilated into the bor...I mean overlay extension. If there are some you'd rather see sooner than later, please let me know. Meanwhile, the previous overlay placement method is fully functional.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
They're not converted yet. Consider the current version of the extension a proof of concept. Now that I see it in use and folks seem to like it, I'll add more overlays as time permits for me to do so. The plan is that eventually all overlays will be assimilated into the bor...I mean overlay extension. If there are some you'd rather see sooner than later, please let me know. Meanwhile, the previous overlay placement method is fully functional.
Thanks for the explanation.
And thank you for the excellent job.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We can look to moving the key stoke to the preferences if linking turns out to popular. In the meantime it is possible to change the keystroke by editing the VASL module.

upload_2017-5-23_11-57-20.png

• Counter linking. You can link two counters together and display a line showing the link. Great for Guns and acquisition counters or firer-target pairs. To link: select any two counters, CTRL-ALT-L. Linkline will show. Click elsewhere and Linkline will disappear. Reclick one of the counters and Linkline will reappear. To end link, select both counters, CTRL-ALT-U.
Seems a bad choice of keys for the linux guys. CTL-ALT-L 'locks' the screen. Suppose I can find a workaround, but can that be changed via a VASL preference option (or perhaps via the right click on a counter option list)?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The setting for locking the screen is re-definable in linux. On both of my machines it is super-L, the same as windows. I know I reset it on one machine, but I am not sure about the other. How you go about re-defining it depends on what desktop environment you are running, but it is usually very simple.

JR