VASL 6.4.0-beta4 is now available

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We are now releasing VASL 6.4.0-beta4, which contains additional improvements beyond beta1.

Click here to download the 6.4.0-beta4 module.

Note this is still a test build so hold off if you're not comfortable swapping around your VASL modules.

All enhancements and fixes are listed below, including those from the 6.4.0-beta1 release.

Remember, we need your feedback to ensure that this module is ready to go as an official VASL release.

Download. Use. Comment.

Post your comments to this thread.

Thanks much for your help!

Doug

Enhancements
1. Improved sniper finder; now functions like broken piece finder (highlights snipers on map).
2. Draggable overlays; when setting up a game, rather than having to enter the overlay name and hexes in a dialogue box, you can drag them onto the map. Previous method still supported. To use this feature you must install a VASL extension. Download the extension here. For installation instructions for extensions, see the User Guide at VASL.info. Instructions for using the draggable overlays during game play are included in the extension and can be accessed via the Help menu in VASL.
3. Counter linking. You can link two counters together and display a line showing the link. Great for Guns and acquisition counters or firer-target pairs. To link: select any two counters, CTRL-ALT-L. Linkline will show. Click elsewhere and Linkline will disappear. Reclick one of the counters and Linkline will reappear. To end link, select both counters, CTRL-ALT-U.
4. LOS Checking for HASL maps; starting with the Red Barricades map, LOS checking is being extended to HASL maps.
5. LOS Checking for rooftops, cellars added; LOS can now be traced from rooftops and cellars for all multihex buildings on boards 1-75, including 1a-9b.
6. LOS Checking stays enabled regardless of cropping and/or flipping configurations.
7. Counters under a “?” now show as white (reversion to previous style due to popular demand).

Bug fixes
1. Improvements to LOS checking, especially with respect to depressions and cliff hexsides. Using UpArrow/DownArrow keys and CTRL-UpArrow/DownArrow to change level of target/firer in LOS check results now displays on opponent’s device as well. Plus, same keys can be used to switch LOS check from base hex to entrenchment if one is present in the hex. Entrenchment is “below” the base hex.
2. Versioning problems with Desert boards have been fixed. An extensive cleanup of board files has been done, which should improve speed and performance.
3. A problem with counters disappearing from extension windows has been resolved.
4. Several bugs causing VASL or VASSAL to crash were eliminated.

Known Issues
1. The stream terrain under the elevated road bridges on Board 13 will show as one level higher than it should be, plus LOS that passes through these bridge hexes may show incorrect hindrances.

Kudos and Credits
Thanks to:
David Sullivan for helping us find those Sniper Counters buried under stacks of stacks, for counter linking and for most of the bug fixes, with additional work by Zoltan Grose.
Allan Cannamore for conceiving of and implementing draggable overlays.
Carl Nogueira and Terry Gray for initial testing of LOS Checking in Stalingrad. Chris Doary for tireless rules explanations that helped me understand what the LOS code needed to do.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Enhancements

3. Counter linking. You can link two counters together and display a line showing the link. Great for Guns and acquisition counters or firer-target pairs. To link: select any two counters, CTRL-ALT-L. Linkline will show. Click elsewhere and Linkline will disappear. Reclick one of the counters and Linkline will reappear. To end link, select both counters, CTRL-ALT-U.
Nice! Does the linkline show up on both players' screens? That would be desirable in some cases and maybe not so desirable in others. (If it can be only one or the other, I'd vote for showing only on the owner's screen.)

7. Counters under a “?” now show as white (reversion to previous style due to popular demand).
Yay!

Any progress (if anyone's been looking into it at all) of the issue with "secret" info being lost when the game is closed? Is that a VASSAL issue, a VASL issue, or a problem with the extensions themselves?

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice! Does the linkline show up on both players' screens? That would be desirable in some cases and maybe not so desirable in others. (If it can be only one or the other, I'd vote for showing only on the owner's
Only on your screen as it triggers on the selected counters and that is local to your screen.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This is easily my favorite release!

I am surprised by ... and especially pleased about Counter Linking !!!

Rgds Jack

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Acq.jpeg
The red line links the AFV with it's ACQ .. and remains linked when it moves.

shoot.jpeg
Remember to shoot the guy later ..

This is WICKED NIIIICCCEEE yeah?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Having said that I can't get into the VASL room with 6.4.0-beta4 .. then again since yesterday, I can't get into the VASL room with 6.4.0.-beta1 either!

(umm .. a little help .. please?)

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only on your screen as it triggers on the selected counters and that is local to your screen.
Let me clarify - the link exists on both player's boards. The display of the line is local to your screen; your opponent will see the line when he selects either counter. So your "remember to shoot" example might not what you want.

Note that links to HIP and concealed counters are NOT shown on your opponent's board, so you can use for bore-sighting, tunnels, etc.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Let me clarify - the link exists on both player's boards. The display of the line is local to your screen; your opponent will see the line when he selects either counter. So your "remember to shoot" example might is not what you want.

Note that links to HIP and concealed counters are NOT shown on your opponent's board, so you can use for bore-sighting, tunnels, etc.
Thanks for the headsup .. about to start a game now .. :)

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did this correct itself?

Having said that I can't get into the VASL room with 6.4.0-beta4 .. then again since yesterday, I can't get into the VASL room with 6.4.0.-beta1 either!

(umm .. a little help .. please?)

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Some feedback

First of all a great effort and nice additions. Comments below in bold:

Enhancements
1. Improved sniper finder; now functions like broken piece finder (highlights snipers on map).
Works perfectly, perhaps add option for centering the map where the sniper is? Cycling to each sniper for each sniper finder button click? (CGs w 4 sniprs in play)

Works great! Add CTRL-ALT-T to counter menu. Suggest an option to create linked ACQ counter directly on top of marked AFV/GUN that is already marked, perhaps copy AFV/GUN label to ACQ label automatically?

Level markers and other non concealable counters should not be whitened out See picture below
white.gif

All in all a great version. I still hope you can fix the invisible HIP guns in this version.

Regards

S

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
We are now releasing VASL 6.4.0-beta4,
Enhancements
6. LOS Checking stays enabled regardless of cropping and/or flipping configurations.
I like the above especially.

Kudos and Credits
Thanks to:
David Sullivan for helping us find those Sniper Counters buried under stacks of stacks, for counter linking and for most of the bug fixes, with additional work by Zoltan Grose.
Allan Cannamore for conceiving of and implementing draggable overlays.
Carl Nogueira and Terry Gray for initial testing of LOS Checking in Stalingrad. Chris Doary for tireless rules explanations that helped me understand what the LOS code needed to do.
Three cheers to the code gnomes & helpers!

von Marwitz

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That was mentioned in the DEV discussions. In short, players should agree on how to use links. E.g. an acq counter implies the LOS has been checked. -Sully

Um. I actually don't think so. Seems like a good way to get unfair (and undisclosed?) LOS checks.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Anyone is welcome to re-implement the beautiful stack code again. There was just the one flaw to fix, AFAIK.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Any progress (if anyone's been looking into it at all) of the issue with "secret" info being lost when the game is closed? Is that a VASSAL issue, a VASL issue, or a problem with the extensions themselves?
I'm not aware of anyone looking into it. Just so we're both on the same page, you're referring to the Notes button and the Delayed notes?

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 10.27.29 AM.png

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone is welcome to re-implement the beautiful stack code again. There was just the one flaw to fix, AFAIK.
My comment wasn't meant as a knock on the improved stack handling we had in 6.3. Even with the "flaw" it was a hell of a lot better than going back to white backgrounds.

Sometime we strain out the gnats and swallow the camels.