VASL 6.4.0-beta4 is now available

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Even with the "flaw" it was a hell of a lot better than going back to white backgrounds.
No, it wasn't, otherwise people wouldn't have demanded that it be changed. How can "it looks pretty but gives away information that shouldn't be given away" be better than "it's functional and doesn't do what it's not supposed to do"?

I'm not aware of anyone looking into it. Just so we're both on the same page, you're referring to the Notes button and the Delayed notes?
Um ... maybe? I don't think I've seen a "Notes" button. Or if I have, I don't remember it -- probably because it didn't work? Is that the "Tournement" (sic) extension? I was actually thinking of extensions like "SecretDR" which works perfectly and as advertised provided that you don't want the private info saved between game sessions. I'm not talking about the "Info" button (which has a public and private notes section) which does save information correctly (but you can't "reveal" the private info to your opponent).

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doug,
When last using the Beta version, there were still several overlays not in the overlay extension. Do you know if in the last month or two, more have been added? thanks.
Carl

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Um ... maybe? I don't think I've seen a "Notes" button. Or if I have, I don't remember it -- probably because it didn't work? Is that the "Tournement" (sic) extension? I was actually thinking of extensions like "SecretDR" which works perfectly and as advertised provided that you don't want the private info saved between game sessions.
Sounds like not in the VASL source then? I'll have to pass on that item then.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
So what was your screenshot from, then? If you know of a "delayed notes" application that actually works between sessions, please let us know! And if it doesn't work, wouldn't you like to see that fixed?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
The Notes button is in the VASSAL and if someone can demonstrate the problem I might be able to track it down. But I'm not gonna go fishing for maybe issues.

I think I did find your Japanese crew problem's root though.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's the issue with the notes? I saved this delayed note two weeks ago. I've rebooted my computer at least twice since then. There's a delayed note that's still in there, a private note which I keep for myself to remind me of things to do and a public note with our CVP totals on it. It seems to be working as advertised unless I'm missing some functionality.

Attachments

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doug,
When last using the Beta version, there were still several overlays not in the overlay extension. Do you know if in the last month or two, more have been added? thanks.
Carl
Hi Carl,

I've added some and plan to keep doing so. I want to get all the BFP overlays in there so they are all available in one place. Doug will get the updated extension before the release of vasl 6.4 proper. It will be a while before all overlays are converted but the old system will remain in place.

Do you have a request for some that you'd prefer to see earlier rather than later?

Converting the extensions is labor intensive. I don't mind doing it but before I put too much more time in this project, I wouldn't mind some feedback from the masses. Is this a worthwhile extension?

Al

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Carl,

I've added some and plan to keep doing so. I want to get all the BFP overlays in there so they are all available in one place. Doug will get the updated extension before the release of vasl 6.4 proper. It will be a while before all overlays are converted but the old system will remain in place.

Do you have a request for some that you'd prefer to see earlier rather than later?

Converting the extensions is labor intensive. I don't mind doing it but before I put too much more time in this project, I wouldn't mind some feedback from the masses. Is this a worthwhile extension?

Al
The OVERLAY extension? It's AWESOME, Al. I spoke to a few opponent and I haven't heard different yet!! Thanks so very much

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Carl,

Al
Hi Al. I like it a lot. For instance, while admittedly, there aren't a lot of beach invasion scenarios, this makes that type of difficult overlay much
easier. The benefits don't stop there either. Just an excellent extension. That said, having got a small taste of just how much goes into this, I can understand how daunting a task it must be. I don't have any specific ones I am hankering for at the moment, just more curious when it might be accomplished. I understand there is a lot to it. Thanks for all you do on VASL Al.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Al. I like it a lot. For instance, while admittedly, there aren't a lot of beach invasion scenarios, this makes that type of difficult overlay much
easier. The benefits don't stop there either. Just an excellent extension. That said, having got a small taste of just how much goes into this, I can understand how daunting a task it must be. I don't have any specific ones I am hankering for at the moment, just more curious when it might be accomplished. I understand there is a lot to it. Thanks for all you do on VASL Al.

Al's the man when it comes to draggable overlays. He has done great work here (with David Sullivan helping out on the coding side) and we have heard nothing but praise for it.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What's the issue with the notes? I saved this delayed note two weeks ago. I've rebooted my computer at least twice since then. There's a delayed note that's still in there, a private note which I keep for myself to remind me of things to do and a public note with our CVP totals on it. It seems to be working as advertised unless I'm missing some functionality.
There does not seem to be an issue with the notes. The reference to notes was an attempt to understand a particular problem which, it appears, is actually something quite different, involving the SecretDR extension. The extension does not seem to be storing information between game sessions, at least in Bruce Probst's experience.

I was actually thinking of extensions like "SecretDR" which works perfectly and as advertised provided that you don't want the private info saved between game sessions. I'm not talking about the "Info" button (which has a public and private notes section) which does save information correctly (but you can't "reveal" the private info to your opponent).
Bruce, I can tell you that this problem isn't being fixed by VASL6.4.0. We can conclude discussion on it in this thread. Creating an improved SecretDR/dr tool has previously been logged as a VASL issues for future releases. Thanks for flagging it again.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Don't the delayed notes obsolete the Secret DR though? Or is the Secret DR "better" because it invoked the native die roller so you couldn't just type in a 2 or 12, etc?

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
There does not seem to be an issue with the notes. The reference to notes was an attempt to understand a particular problem which, it appears, is actually something quite different, involving the SecretDR extension. The extension does not seem to be storing information between game sessions, at least in Bruce Probst's experience.
It wasn't just the SecretDR. There was another extension that had the same supposed functionality (secret info that could be revealed to the opponent when required) and had exactly the same problem. I can't remember the details, because this was true for so long that nobody ever bothered with it. I'm talking many years ago. (It certainly wasn't just my experience.)

Bruce, I can tell you that this problem isn't being fixed by VASL6.4.0. We can conclude discussion on it in this thread. Creating an improved SecretDR/dr tool has previously been logged as a VASL issues for future releases. Thanks for flagging it again.
OK.

Don't the delayed notes obsolete the Secret DR though? Or is the Secret DR "better" because it invoked the native die roller so you couldn't just type in a 2 or 12, etc?
Well, yes. You just answered your own question. The important thing about a secret dice roller is that it rolls the dice, secretly. I find the tool most useful for Secret Bog DR/dr, but for that usage you don't need to save the info between sessions, since it affects only a single MPh. Where you would need to save the info is for those scenarios where you're rolling dice during your setup (for whatever purpose) that your opponent won't find out about until later. If you do your setup, save the file and send it to your opponent, poof those "secret" DR are gone forever.

However if the "Reveal Notes" functionality works as advertised between sessions, then it would certainly help a great deal, even if you're just trusting that your opponent rolled the dice he says he did.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This is correct and not only Bruce Probst's experience. In fact, the issue is known since... forever?
I believe it already existed when I picked up VASL in 2010 (i.e. VASL v5.9x). I have checked if it worked with several later versions but it never did so I eventually stopped checking.

von Marwitz

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
This is correct and not only Bruce Probst's experience. In fact, the issue is known since... forever?
I believe it already existed when I picked up VASL in 2010 (i.e. VASL v5.9x). I have checked if it worked with several later versions but it never did so I eventually stopped checking.

von Marwitz
FWIW, extension source code isn't in the VASL source which I believe is the nuance you guys are missing. I can't browse code if the code isn't available and it probably won't magically fix itself if the extension isn't being maintained by its author.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
FWIW, extension source code isn't in the VASL source which I believe is the nuance you guys are missing. I can't browse code if the code isn't available and it probably won't magically fix itself if the extension isn't being maintained by its author.
You may well be right.

Probably providing you with the extension alone (if it ain't available at vasl.info) won't help you, right?

von Marwitz

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Decompiled java is a PITA. If the extension in question is abandonware, probably just better to create from scratch IMO.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Just a thought regarding the new counter linking feature of VASL v6.4:

It will be possible to link counters (for example a Gun and its Acquistion marker).

Will it also be possible to link counters to labels?
I am not sure entirely, where this might be of use but the thought just occurred to me.

von Marwitz