• Total voters

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I think having tournaments or events that are run in different ways is good for the hobby. I would be interested in hearing what those who attend events and those who don't have to say. Thanks!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If the Moderator feels this should be in chit chat please move it. Thanks.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I only play open gaming at tourneys. I was pressured into playing in the Gettysburg tourney last year and was pleased not to advance to round two. It's too much work.
Thanks for the response.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Moved the thread to the general folder, as it is not a Tournament or Event announcement, but a discussion about tournaments.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I enjoy competitive play in tourneys but I understand totally why some people don't like this aspect of the game.

It's a broad church - or it should be.

Every now and again I feel a pang of jealousy when I see people playing large/flavourful scenarios/campaigns. But pitting yourself against the best players also has its attractions.

Both tourneys I go to have considerably different formats but that's not a problem. Each tourney should have its own identity I think.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
By entering a Tournament, you are signing up for competitive play (there will be of course players attending the tournament just to play friendly games as well). In this regard i want to pit myself against other cardboard generals and improve my game. I would therefore prefer to play a variety of different scenarios i.e ETO/PTO, infantry only and infantry and armour to try and perfect my skills. I am not keen on tournaments whereby we play a specific theme i.e all tournament scenarios are based on the release of a new module.

Just my two cents

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
While I prefer the variety as long as gunnin is happening it's all good.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
as long as it is ASL I'm in. but, I do appreciate the more mellow events

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
as long as it is ASL I'm in. but, I do appreciate the more mellow events
So more casual play, open gaming type events? I think as the community ages those may become more popular.

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even with a theme, you have variety. For example, although Human Wave 2022 "features" Italians, we have plenty of scenarios without them: https://humanwaveconscripts.com/scenario-list-for-2022/

Also, theme helps reduce the amount of kit people must bring. The aforementioned Human Wave 2022 has nothing in the PTO and therefore spares players the need to bring along that portion of their gear.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Even with a theme, you have variety. For example, although Human Wave 2022 "features" Italians, we have plenty of scenarios without them: https://humanwaveconscripts.com/scenario-list-for-2022/

Also, theme helps reduce the amount of kit people must bring. The aforementioned Human Wave 2022 has nothing in the PTO and therefore spares players the need to bring along that portion of their gear.
With the massive kit available to today's players the need to Portage less is obviously an advantage.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Not jumping the gun but the response so far seems to favor ASL of any sort then variety. Excellent! My feelings exactly.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Yep, as others mentioned, as long as it's ASL go for the gusto!

My favorite format for a change of pace is some sort of fog of war mini tourney where both sides have limited intel on their opponents' assets and goals or VCs might be variable, anything that takes away some info you get in a standard scenario. Adds to the tension and surprises as the action unfolds.

AS long as I'm rolling dice in ASL, I'm good.

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If your rolling dice it's a good tournament.

I want to travel to new places, meet new people, get a match that takes place in an exotic location between adversaries, then destroy them! Leave them a quivering lump of human despair! I want my dice to be so hot they leave smoke trails when rolled. I want tears in the eyes of my next opponent when matched against me! I want the humans to quake in their boots when I become supreme ASL master!

Maybe watched too much Invader Zim...👽

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If your rolling dice it's a good tournament.

I want to travel to new places, meet new people, get a match that takes place in an exotic location between adversaries, then destroy them! Leave them a quivering lump of human despair! I want my dice to be so hot they leave smoke trails when rolled. I want tears in the eyes of my next opponent when matched against me! I want the humans to quake in their boots when I become supreme ASL master!

Maybe watched too much Invader Zim...👽
It's good to have goals!😉