variable SAN SSR and tactical secondary objective

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
There are a few scenarios (too few IMO) where SAN increases/decreases according the control of specific locations. This simulate the fact that some locations/buildings/hills are perfect for snipers and thus their control gives an advantage for SAN purposes.

In a urban scenario I'm just playtesting the only 1,5 level building is a Factory with Rooftops in Japanese hand. This gives the Japanese at start a very high SAN (5).
Victory Conditions require the defender (Chinese) must avoid the attacker (Japanese) exits from the North Edge. A group of isolated Japaneses control at start the Factory in the middle of the Chinese setup zone. So the Chinese must decide if to ignore the Factory and accept the high SAN for the duration of the scenario, OR divert a few units to seize the Factory lowering the enemy SAN as soon as possible. Japaneses must decide if evacuate the Factory using its occupants to get more exit VPs OR staying in the Factory (possibly reinforcing it) to mantain as long as possible the ultra-favorable SAN 5.

Both sides have a big decison to take potentially requiring a diversion of force from their primary and natural objective given by the VCs.

I think this approach should be used more often. Weave primary objectives with secondary ones, possibly partially colliding each other, force the players to think at different levels and make prognostic about the scenario development. To me is an improvement respect classic scenarios :"Make A" or "Control A+ B" where players must only perform materially a task and nothing else.

Here's the variable SAN SSR. I ask if the wording is clear and concise enough or the ASLish used can be improved.

SSR 3 : Japanese SAN drops immediately to 2 for the duration of the scenario when Chinese Controls the Factory and no Good Order Japanese Unit is on the Rooftops (B 23.8).

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are a few scenarios (too few IMO) where SAN increases/decreases according the control of specific locations. This simulate the fact that some locations/buildings/hills are perfect for snipers and thus their control gives an advantage for SAN purposes.

In a urban scenario I'm just playtesting the only 1,5 level building is a Factory with Rooftops in Japanese hand. This gives the Japanese at start a very high SAN (5).
Victory Conditions require the defender (Chinese) must avoid the attacker (Japanese) exits from the North Edge. A group of isolated Japaneses control at start the Factory in the middle of the Chinese setup zone. So the Chinese must decide if to ignore the Factory and accept the high SAN for the duration of the scenario, OR divert a few units to seize the Factory lowering the enemy SAN as soon as possible. Japaneses must decide if evacuate the Factory using its occupants to get more exit VPs OR staying in the Factory (possibly reinforcing it) to mantain as long as possible the ultra-favorable SAN 5.

Both sides have a big decison to take potentially requiring a diversion of force from their primary and natural objective given by the VCs.

I think this approach should be used more often. Weave primary objectives with secondary ones, possibly partially colliding each other, force the players to think at different levels and make prognostic about the scenario development. To me is an improvement respect classic scenarios :"Make A" or "Control A+ B" where players must only perform materially a task and nothing else.

Here's the variable SAN SSR. I ask if the wording is clear and concise enough or the ASLish used can be improved.

SSR 3 : Japanese SAN drops immediately to 2 for the duration of the scenario when Chinese Controls the Factory and no Good Order Japanese Unit is on the Rooftops (B 23.8).
I think you can swipe the wording almost verbatim from the Peg Bridg CG SSR , it is succint and clear, all one needs to do is plug in the coorinates for the location involved.

KRL, Jon H

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I like your thinking, ecz.
I believe the tweaking of the Rules via SSRs keeps ASL fresh: the "chromeheads" love it, and it makes a change from the 'take that real estate/kill those men' VC's (not that our beloved meatgrinding scenarios aren't fun, it's just refreshing to have something new/less formulaic).

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Maybe after a Mopping Up in this building?.. To simulate an effort to look for sniper and similar.. A Mopping up need not Known unbroken enemy units there.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
mopping up requires for most non-large games too much time and resources while I would keep things simple and easy. For gaming purposes the "abstraction" to control the building with no enemy unbroken units on the rooftops, if any, should work.
Of course the scenario could require the mopping up procedure to lower the enemy SAN or even something totally different ( for example that the Attacker hits twice AREA with his best ordnance a Steeple). There are no limits to the creativity. But must be something doable and not clearly too time/resources consuming.