Valor of the Guards Q&A

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks Tom. Apparently I missed that the whole time...time to add more S? :)

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks Tom. Apparently I missed that the whole time...time to add more S? :)
Hi sorry this is not related to the question. I have my own issue which I'm sure is obvious. If during a CG the CG Max is say 1 as in the Russian Rifle Coy. How come you can buy 2 for the Daily Max? The maximum per CG is 1 yet the Daily Max seems to allow you to break this. Cheers for any help.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi sorry this is not related to the question. I have my own issue which I'm sure is obvious. If during a CG the CG Max is say 1 as in the Russian Rifle Coy. How come you can buy 2 for the Daily Max? The maximum per CG is 1 yet the Daily Max seems to allow you to break this. Cheers for any help.
I believe that the daily max covers all 4 CGs but each campaign game has a max that can't be exceeded. If the cg max was 3 and the daily max was 2, you could buy 2 one day but only 1 more on all other days combined.

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
I believe that the daily max covers all 4 CGs but each campaign game has a max that can't be exceeded. If the cg max was 3 and the daily max was 2, you could buy 2 one day but only 1 more on all other days combined.
Yes I get that. but as I showed in my example the Russian Rifle Coy CG Max is 1 but they are allowed 2 for a Daily Max-that overrides the CG Max by 1. Don't get it. Cheers

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes I get that. but as I showed in my example the Russian Rifle Coy CG Max is 1 but they are allowed 2 for a Daily Max-that overrides the CG Max by 1. Don't get it. Cheers
I think your confusion is based on the flawed assumption that the daily max overrides the CG max. The daily max is a cumulative total towards the CG max. If the CG max is 8 and the daily max is 3, you can buy anywhere from 0 to 3 each day up to 8 total.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe your issue arose from the fact that the daily max is higher than the CG max for one CG. CG I has a few examples of the same, it's a smaller CG.

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
New question. CG1. Is it the case that the Russians can only purchase one Rifle company, two NKVD companies-only at the start-, and one MOL platoon THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE CG. Seems they are desperately short of infantry from 14 September to the 23rd!!!! Cheers for any clarification

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No that is incorrect what makes you think that?

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
No that is incorrect what makes you think that?
Just reading the CH Max column on pg V22. Ex: for CG1, the Max is 0 for SMG I4 RG, so I believe you may not purchase any SMG Companys for this CG. This column, CG Max 1, shows the maximum that may be purchased for each RG from 14th to 22nd September. Added to this is CG special rule I-2 pg V9 that states several infantry units that cannot be purchased at all in CG 1-I1, I2, I6, I8 and HW Platoon, and G1. In infantry terms given the CG Max it doesn't leave a lot left. Can't see the Russians hanging on for long. Thanks for any help.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just reading the CH Max column on pg V22. Ex: for CG1, the Max is 0 for SMG I4 RG, so I believe you may not purchase any SMG Companys for this CG. This column, CG Max 1, shows the maximum that may be purchased for each RG from 14th to 22nd September. Added to this is CG special rule I-2 pg V9 that states several infantry units that cannot be purchased at all in CG 1-I1, I2, I6, I8 and HW Platoon, and G1. In infantry terms given the CG Max it doesn't leave a lot left. Can't see the Russians hanging on for long. Thanks for any help.
You're misreading the rules again. It says INITIAL SCENARIO SPECIAL RULES. That's the first game date. Otherwise it would be in CGI SPECIAL RULES.

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
What a complete fool! Never skim read ASL rules. Thanks for pointing that out, changes everything. Cheers Clubby
Hi all. Two quick questions. Is the Scenario card 'The First Bid' correct for German OB entry dice rolls-the 518 regiment requires a dr whereas the 191 regiment a DR ? Or is it a historical timing aspect. My second question relates to CGIV. What is the set up for the CG Inital OB? I understand that any RG enters as CG II-3 suggests but what about the German/Russian given OB? Cheers

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all. Two quick questions. Is the Scenario card 'The First Bid' correct for German OB entry dice rolls-the 518 regiment requires a dr whereas the 191 regiment a DR ? Or is it a historical timing aspect. My second question relates to CGIV. What is the set up for the CG Inital OB? I understand that any RG enters as CG II-3 suggests but what about the German/Russian given OB? Cheers
Yes, the dr & DR are for historical timing.

CGIV uses the initial setup from CGII.

Koestler

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
I know this has been asked before, but I don't think it has been answered.

On 14 September, the Germans win the Day scenario and the Russians win the Night scenario. (No suprises there.) VotG 12.6124 gives a DRM to the leader battle hardening table, stating: "-2 Friendly side won this CG Day's scenario". During the refit phase following 14 September Night, do the Germans get the DRM, the Russians, or both? Note that the language of the DRM is different from the similar DRM of 12.6123 and 12.619.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VotG rules question and curious about the historical background. :)

So it looks like none of the OBA for either side has SMOKE or IR capability. If it does, I cannot find any rule reference.

I assume this would be because neither side had the appropriate rounds (in quantity) during the battle?

Thanks,
MikeS

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VotG rules question and curious about the historical background. :)

So it looks like none of the OBA for either side has SMOKE or IR capability. If it does, I cannot find any rule reference.

I assume this would be because neither side had the appropriate rounds (in quantity) during the battle?

Thanks,
MikeS
See VotG12 on page 1 for who has what.
Also see the notes for the OBA tables on page H6 where most OBA modules have Smoke.

Sam987

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi everyone. Looking at CG1, is it right that Russian RGs with footnote S only available for purchase in the initial scenario i.e. there are more RGs which can only be purchased in that scenario than the Russians can actually purchase. Thanks

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correct. If you want 2 AA Batteries, you must purchase 1 of them for the initial scenario and you can purchase the other later.