Valor of the Guards Q&A

MichalS

Reaction score
First name
Michal
Country
llSlovakia
You don't say! Pass my greetings from shutdown Bratislava.
In a proper Slovak household indeed slivovica never stops flowing... :D

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VotG CG Max notation 12.6216

CGIII. Russian RG type I2 as an example. CG Max shows 3 red dot / 2 brown dot.
The slash denotes the meaning of "and" - is that correct?
So 5 total RG's may be purchased in the campaign, 3 with entry code red dot , and 2 with entry code brown dot.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VotG CG Max notation 12.6216

CGIII. Russian RG type I2 as an example. CG Max shows 3 red dot / 2 brown dot.
The slash denotes the meaning of "and" - is that correct?
So 5 total RG's may be purchased in the campaign, 3 with entry code red dot , and 2 with entry code brown dot.
Correct.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Commissar Exchange - at start OB given RG's

Seeing that the OB given RG's are not purchased, may the Russian player exchange using rule 12.6226 the leaders in them for Commissars? Or for the OB given RG's, is A25.22 followed.
Thank you

12.6226 COMMISSARS:
After all Infantry Coy RG have been purchased and all
leaders for them have been determined, a number of
these new leaders <= the number of Infantry Coy RG purchased in
the current CG Day's RePh may be exchanged for Commissars

12.5 For each Initial Scenario, the actual
Strength of each OB-given and purchased (RePh step 12.621) RG
must still be determined normally (RePh step 12.622) . Leaders
received, if any, are determined in RePh steps 12.6225-.6227 .

Last edited:

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the OB given RG you can't exchange the leaders for Commissars, but for the purchased RG (using the CPP you get) you might be able to exchange them for Commissars. See the note about not being able to make the exchange if you will end up with more than 1 Commissar per 12 squads. With all the NKVD Commissars you might not be able to make any exchanges.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for the reply. Am wondering for the OB given RG .. one can exchange them per the rules in A25.22?

Dmart

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has this apparent contradiction been addressed/resolved:

VotG1. EC are Dry, with no wind at start. Kindling is NA.
V4.1 ...Rail Car hexes may be Kindled.

Thank you.

Darren Kovacs

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Thank you.
I believe the intention is that you can't have units (MMC) do any kindling but that any burnable terrain can be "started on fire" or "kindled" via other destructive methods. Example: OBA, FT, etc.

Darren

Dmart

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. While I understand that may have been the intent, Kindling is a very specific rulebook defined action (B25.11), different than spreading fire. Perhaps rail cars (hexes) should be more appropriately classified as "burnable terrain" (which they are not so indicated in the Index).

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden

I don't think there's really a contradiction here. V4.1 is a terrain rule. SSR VotG1 is an SSR. Someone might design a scenario when SSR VotG1 is NA, but uses the Rail Car rules.

Fungable

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I presume The Nail Factory is a factory in name only as V6.3 would lead me to believe.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Apologies if this has been answered upstream, my Google-fu isn't up to the task if it has (I gave up after 15 pages or so).

I lost a 228 gun crew and now have an 82* MTR without a crew. Is there any process to regain gun crews so that Guns can be remanned? I don't see this in the rules, so am assuming not.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That's what I thought. Thanks for reminding me about the MMC manning it, I just need them to fire some IR.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Not sure if this belongs in the Solitaire sub-forum, but it is directed at Tom Morin for an answer.

Question came up about Tom's SASL VotG rules, where the 20.4/4.1 S? Placement rules say that for an Attack chit, S? are placed less than/equal to 2 hex from each frontline location. Fair enough it seems. However in the sub-para ATTACKING ENEMY, two of the three types of attacks, ALL OUT ATTACK and GENERAL ATTACK appear to say the same thing, namely that all locations (i.e. 2 hexes or less from each frontline location) are switched to Advance Attitude. Is there an error somewhere, possibly in 4.1 where it should read less than/equal to 3 hexes, inclusive of the frontline? Or does the initial 4.1 statement not include the actual frontline location hex, but the two ones 'behind' it?

Hopefully Tom you can clarify.

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure if this belongs in the Solitaire sub-forum, but it is directed at Tom Morin for an answer.

Question came up about Tom's SASL VotG rules, where the 20.4/4.1 S? Placement rules say that for an Attack chit, S? are placed less than/equal to 2 hex from each frontline location. Fair enough it seems. However in the sub-para ATTACKING ENEMY, two of the three types of attacks, ALL OUT ATTACK and GENERAL ATTACK appear to say the same thing, namely that all locations (i.e. 2 hexes or less from each frontline location) are switched to Advance Attitude. Is there an error somewhere, possibly in 4.1 where it should read less than/equal to 3 hexes, inclusive of the frontline? Or does the initial 4.1 statement not include the actual frontline location hex, but the two ones 'behind' it?

Hopefully Tom you can clarify.

View attachment 20839
4.1 instructs placement of S? </= 2 hexes from a Frontline Location, which essentially means a 3 hex deep line, i.e., the Frontline Location, then 2 additional hexes (the Frontline Location is range 0). The all-out attack results in all S? at ground level become Advance Attitude (so all 3 hexes of the line); General Attack results in all S? at ground level in the front 2 hexes of the line now are Advance Attitude; Probing Attack each S? of the front 2 hexes of the line has to roll </=3 to become Advance Attitude.

In both the General Attack and the Probing Attack the 3rd line 'holds the line' while the front two lines attack.

Been reading your AAR, looks like fun, I hope you enjoy.

Tom