Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
CVP do not apply.

Regards,

Tom
Thanks, Tom. One follow-up question for Terror At Twilight... the Russian reinforcement instructions state, "enter on Turn 1 on any south edge road hexes:". A GS search dug up no less than 3 players who have said that Wide-City Boulevard hexes are not road hexes; similar, yes, the same, no. All of the posts actually referenced this scenario. So, was your design intent to allow entry on any road/boulevard hex, or just road hexes proper? Even if they are correct, and the pertinent rules sections indicate they most likely are, what was your intent for this design? I am far more interested in the intent of design (and playtesting) than what may have come out of the ASL hive mind post-publication. If you did design it as they have stated, I find the entry instructions baffling at best. "...any south edge road hexes:" makes it sound as if there are a variety of options to choose from, when in reality it appears that Q35 and R35 are the only non-boulevard, road hexes available for entry.

Thanks for all of your post-publication support on this module!

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The intent was to be able to enter on City Square (boulevard) hexes, which at the time we (mistakenly) believed to be road hexes. Also don't forget P35 is also a south edge (hexside) road.

Tom

Rangercote

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just got to this RePh section after playing our initial scenario...

12.6154 FT/DC: Each FT/DC removed from play during the preceding scenario (regardless of why it was removed) is Retained by its original owning side only if it was re-moved by an Original effects DR less than or equal to 10; otherwise, it is Eliminated. Place each such Retained SW in the friendly side's "Retained" box on the Chapter V divider. However, the side may never Retain in this manner more friendly DC, nor friendly FT, than it has friendly non-Isolated Assault Engineer (only) squads at this point in the RePh.

I saw other threads but need confirmation. Does this mean that during play, you have to keep track of the effects dice roll of DC or FT that removes it from play ?
a. if my FT was X with a DR10 (or less if inexperienced use) its retained, but with DR 11 or 12 its eliminated?
b. when a DC is blown up, it can be retained unless the roll was 11 or 12 (dud).
c. for FT and DC: if its destroyed by combat results (random SW destruction or CC), they are eliminated regardless of roll
d. same mechanics if the Russians now possess a german FT and X it with a DR 8-10 ? i.e the Russian can retain it for next scenario?

thanks

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think those are right with the only caveat being I don't think you can retain any FT/DC if you don't also have assault engineers.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You don't have to keep track of the DR. Just put the ones removed but retained in a special pile.

There are some Q&A from Red Barricades. I suggest applying them to VotG too:

q&a said:
O11.6134 (a) Are FT/DC retained if they are deliberately eliminated by the enemy?
(b) Are FT/DC retained if they are captured by the enemy, but eliminated in step O11.6135. (captured weapon dr)?
(c) Are FT/DC retained if they are captured by the enemy and then eliminated by a effects DR conducted by the enemy?
A. No to all. [Compil3]
a) yes
b) yes
It's hard to tell what the answer to c should be. I think I would play that they are retained unless the attack DR was > 10.
d) per Q&A, eliminated permanently.

JR

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess I was thinking about friendly equipment. So, you can't retain a friendly FT, for example, if you don't have any friendly AEs at that point of the RePh, but can you retain a captured FT without AEs?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I guess I was thinking about friendly equipment. So, you can't retain a friendly FT, for example, if you don't have any friendly AEs at that point of the RePh, but can you retain a captured FT without AEs?
A friendly FT/DC that was not eliminated during the scenario is retained normally. A friendly FT/DC that *was* eliminated during the scenario might be retained anyway if the effects DR that eliminated it was not too high (and it was not captured, etc). A captured FT/DC that was not eliminated during play might be eliminated anyway in O11.6134/V17.6134.

edit: I think I missed your point. The number of AE squads only affects the number of FTs/DCs resurrected from the dead. You can only resurrect friendly DCs/FTs, and you are limited to resurrecting a number less than or equal to the number of AE squads. You can retain any number of friendly DCs/FTs that do not need to be resurrected, regardless of the number of AE squads.

JR

Last edited:

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You mean V12.1655. My question remains unanswered though. You may not retain a FT/DC eliminated during play if you don't have any AEs in your OOB at that point in the RePh, but if the weapon is captured, it appears that it doesn't matter if you have AEs. That was my question which I thought was pretty clear.

12.6154 FT/DC: Each FT/DC removed from play during the preceding scenario (regardless of why it was removed) is Retained by its original owning side only if it was removed by an Original effects DR ≤ 10; otherwise, it is Eliminated. Place each such Retained SW in the friendly side's "Retained" box on the Chapter V divider. However, the side may never Retain in this manner more friendly DC, nor friendly FT, than it has friendly non-Isolated Assault Engineer (only) squads at this point in the RePh.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you had a captured DC/FT that was eliminated during play, it remains eliminated for your purposes and is NOT eligible for reintroduction to your OB. However, per the Q&A they ARE eligible for reintroduction into the opposing player's OB if their elimination DR was sufficiently low AND he retained the required number of AEs himself. If the captured SW was not eliminated in any fashion including during the RePh, regardless of the number of AEs you retained in your OB you may include it in your subsequent OB.

Rangercote

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
VOTG SAN at night
does both players SAN get increased by 2 because of night according to E1.76 or players keep whatever SAN they purchased during refit?
thanks

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I think it is likely the current purchased SAN value is considered the "printed" SAN and that the SAN in actual play is +2 of that. I don't see anything that explicitly says that, however.

JR

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it is likely the current purchased SAN value is considered the "printed" SAN and that the SAN in actual play is +2 of that. I don't see anything that explicitly says that, however.

JR
JR is correct, the SAN is increased over the 'printed' (purchased) by +2 for Mistaken Fire.

Tom

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Playing VotG 18 In Sight Of The Volga, and have some VotG rules questions...

A NKVD Strongpoint is a type of Fanatic Strongpoint.
1) Does a NKVD S-P also provide the +1 to morale such as the Fanatic S-P does?
2) Or does it only provide the benefits outlined in its paragraph?

The only NKVD MMC in a pre-established NKVD S-P breaks (temporarily), thereby nixing the benefits of such for the duration of the scenario.
3) Do hexes of this building now revert to standard Fanatic S-P hexes, or are the fortified, ground level Locations just that...generic fortified building Locations?

Thanks!

Last edited:

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
No answers forthcoming so played it as...
1) Yes
2) NA
3) Are still Fanatic S-P hexes for Russians, but just Fortified building Locations when used by Germans.

[Excellent scenario, btw. Not decided until midway through Turn 10a!]

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No answers forthcoming so played it as...
1) Yes
2) NA
3) Are still Fanatic S-P hexes for Russians, but just Fortified building Locations when used by Germans.

[Excellent scenario, btw. Not decided until midway through Turn 10a!]
Sounds correct. Thanks for posting!

Tom

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does the opportunity to take a snap shot at concealed units allow reserves to come on-map concealed? The rules about not losing concealment when a snap shot is taken against the concealed unit (A12.141) makes me wonder.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Does the opportunity to take a snap shot at concealed units allow reserves to come on-map concealed? The rules about not losing concealment when a snap shot is taken against the concealed unit (A12.141) makes me wonder.
In order to come out of reserve there has to be "an enemy unit ... within three hexes of it and ... in its LOS" [V12.6214b]. Per A6.12 there are several non-standard ways of tracing LOS to a unit, including to the whole hexside as with a snap shot. The fact that the unit does not lose concealment isn't important as concealment isn't mentioned in V12.6214b; there are many ways a unit could move and not lose concealment. The reserve unit has LOS to the enemy unit, and as long as this occurs within three hexes, it may come out of reserve.

JR