Valor of the Guards Q&A

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Theater building is a Factory, and is not gutted (i.e., has a roof)

The Rail Station is a gutted Factory and roofless.

As Scott mentioned, the map printing came out a bit dark, making it hard to discern some details. The proof map was not like this.

Tom

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Theater building is a Factory, and is not gutted (i.e., has a roof)

The Rail Station is a gutted Factory and roofless.

As Scott mentioned, the map printing came out a bit dark, making it hard to discern some details. The proof map was not like this.

Tom
Thank you very much.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Not wanting to waste a day trawling through the posts, but can someone help me here.

With a Russian night counterattack, are there any special restrictions of the German set-up?

I thought they were limited to 10% HIP and were lax at night.

I get the Lax bit from E1.62 but scratching my head why I think they are limited to 10% or maybe I've got another CG rule in my head?

The Russians get a free 10% HIP at night, so maybe that's what I'm getting confused with.

Agrak

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the First Bid scenario with initial German set up they have a half track which sets up between A20-A40. Given the allowable terrain for them it appears to be boxed in. Has anyone come across this or are we missing a way through the maze of terrain? If so which specific hexes can they move through to break out further into the map.
Thanks

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
In the First Bid scenario with initial German set up they have a half track which sets up between A20-A40. Given the allowable terrain for them it appears to be boxed in. Has anyone come across this or are we missing a way through the maze of terrain? If so which specific hexes can they move through to break out further into the map.
All German units enter as reinforcements. None set up A20-A40. One group that has halftracks enters A1-A20. A second group that has halftracks enters A35-A50. There is a group that enters A20-A40 but it has no halftracks.

Boxed in relative to going where? A halftrack with a trailer may go anywhere except IN a building (I believe it may bypass a building, but the way the rule is written one could argue the other way), in rubble, and it may not cross an unbreached wall/hedge. It may enter shellholes and debris [VotG18]. The whole map is in play; I don't see any hexes that the halftracks could not get into (eventually) other that building/rubble (and the water obstacles).

JR

Last edited:

Agrak

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All German units enter as reinforcements. None set up A20-A40. One group that has halftracks enters A1-A20. A second group that has halftracks enters A35-A50. There is a group that enters A20-A40 but it has no halftracks.

Boxed in relative to going where? A halftrack with a trailer may go anywhere except IN a building (I believe it may bypass a building, but the way the rule is written one could argue the other way), in rubble, and it may not cross an unbreached wall/hedge. It may enter shellholes and debris [VotG18]. The whole map is in play; I don't see any hexes that the halftracks could not get into (eventually) other that building/rubble (and the water obstacles).

JR

On my scenario card the initial units set up on board , there is a page 2 of reinforcements which enter by moving on board. What we overlooked was VotG18 which allows the halftracks to move through debris. It was the debris and railcars which "boxed" them in. But since they can move through debris no problem. Thanks for clarifying this!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
On my scenario card the initial units set up on board , there is a page 2 of reinforcements which enter by moving on board. What we overlooked was VotG18 which allows the halftracks to move through debris. It was the debris and railcars which "boxed" them in.
I looked at the scenario quickly and didn't see the Germans on the front. I just assumed it was all Soviets on the front since they seemed to continue on the back.

Even if halftracks were not allowed in debris, you could set up in B35 and bypass around C40 and C44 to get into the city proper. Depending on whether you use the vasl maps or the real maps, you could also set up in B23 and use a lot of bypass to exit that area via the G10 lumberyard area. On the real maps the lumberyards are quite bypassable. On the vasl maps they are not.

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I am playing VotG12.
The Soviet OB has ordnance described as "Elements of 13th Guards Division" : am I correct to apply the C8.2 "Elite" status to them (quite important for the 82* mortar's depletable smoke usage)?
I cannot find anything about Guards status in the VotG SSR, so I lean towards applying C8.2 as usual.

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am playing VotG12.
The Soviet OB has ordnance described as "Elements of 13th Guards Division" : am I correct to apply the C8.2 "Elite" status to them (quite important for the 82* mortar's depletable smoke usage)?
I cannot find anything about Guards status in the VotG SSR, so I lean towards applying C8.2 as usual.
copied from the main list.......

13th Guards are Elite per C8.2

"Comrade! Load APCR! < clink-clank> FIRE!!! <KA-BOOM> Hurrah! The Fascist bastard is eliminated!

;-)

Tom

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a question about Stuka RG's. The Daily Max refers to Note U which states that only one Stuka Module is allowed per scenario. What does that mean? What is a Stuka Module? I can't find a reference anywhere. Since the Daily Max is 2 and you can't retain Stuka RG's after the day they are bought for it can't mean an RG. Help me out.

Mike

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I have a question about Stuka RG's. The Daily Max refers to Note U which states that only one Stuka Module is allowed per scenario. What does that mean? What is a Stuka Module? I can't find a reference anywhere. Since the Daily Max is 2 and you can't retain Stuka RG's after the day they are bought for it can't mean an RG.
I suspect that "module" is being used here in the same sense as OBA module, i.e. as a synonym for RG.

I will wildly guess that footnote U is supposed to mean that you can purchase only one type of module, i.e. you can purchase 2 S1 RGs or 2 S2 RGs, but not 1 S1 and 1 S2 RGs. This is pure speculation, but it is the only thing I can think of that will make the footnote work as is. Otherwise I think it requires a correction from Tom/MMP.

JR

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR

That is the same conclusion that I had. The only way to make any sense of it is to think of the RG as a "module" and read Note U as "only one type (S1 or S2) can be purchased per scenario" but I am hoping Tom sees this and can confirm that. I see nothing on the MMP site under the VotG stuff and a forum search reveals nothing under this thread.

Mike

JOS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... Since the Daily Max is 2 and you can't retain Stuka RG's after the day they are bought for it can't mean an RG ...
Why not? Two scenarios may be played per CG Day, but Stukas cannot be retained after the *scenario* in which they were purchased (CG10). As JR noted, just read 'module' as 'S-type RG' and infer you can purchase only one Stuka RG (either S1 or S2) per scenario, which is the conclusion you reached anyway.

Enjoy, Joshua

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Why not? Two scenarios may be played per CG Day. I've never found it confusing: you can purchase one Stuka RG (either S1 or S2) per scenario, which I note is the same conclusion you reached anyway.
I think you are right. I mistook the "Daily Max" for a "per scenario max."

JR

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see where my misunderstanding comes in. I have played Red Barricades where a campaign day is synonymous with a scenario. I VotG there can be two scenarios in a campaign day. I have not played a VotG CG yet and was trying to help someone figure that note out. Thanks for the input.

Mike