Valor of the Guards Q&A

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All the crew (both Russian and German) counters in VotG are missing the ID-number on the back.

Countersheet #1:
All the German 4-6-7 (12, aa-ii), have the ID-letter in uppercase on the back (AA-II).
All the Russian 4-5-8 (10) have a different ID-letter on the back.
All the Russian 6-2-8 (6) have a different ID-letter on the back.
All the Russian 4-2-6 (9) have a different ID-letter on the back.

Countersheet #4:
German 5-4-8 (ID-letters DD-MM) have a different ID-letter on the back.
Germna 4-6-7 (ID-letters AA-KK) have a different ID-letter on the back.

This is from looking at the scans on BGG.
The following should be included
German 4-6-7 (ID-letters LL-TT)have different ID-letter on the back

The ID-letter on the back of the 4-6-7 counters run as follows AA-JJ on the front JJ-AA on the back. i.e counter AA front is JJ back,ect.
The same holds true for KK-TT front, TT-KK back

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This may have been asked before...but I have a CG IV Night Russian counterattack coming at my Germans next.

VotG 25. "...The Germans do not receive the 25% HIP normally afforded the Scenario Defender (i.e., the first sentence of E1.2 is NA); rather, they may be given HIP...by expending FPP during the Fortification Purchase step of a CG Refit Phase (12.623).

Note 6 of the Fortification Purchase Table...

"...No more than 10% (FRU) of a side's non-Reserve Infantry squads...may set up using HIP in a daytime scenario. In a night scenario the Russian may freely set up ≤ 10% of his non-Reserve Infantry squads..."

So what percentage of HIP can the Germans purchase in a Night scenario?

I"m assuming it is 10%...but I can find nothing to confirm that.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This may have been asked before...but I have a CG IV Night Russian counterattack coming at my Germans next.

VotG 25. "...The Germans do not receive the 25% HIP normally afforded the Scenario Defender (i.e., the first sentence of E1.2 is NA); rather, they may be given HIP...by expending FPP during the Fortification Purchase step of a CG Refit Phase (12.623).

Note 6 of the Fortification Purchase Table...

"...No more than 10% (FRU) of a side's non-Reserve Infantry squads...may set up using HIP in a daytime scenario. In a night scenario the Russian may freely set up ≤ 10% of his non-Reserve Infantry squads..."

So what percentage of HIP can the Germans purchase in a Night scenario?

I"m assuming it is 10%...but I can find nothing to confirm that.
I asked this very same question of Tom over PM almost exactly 6 years ago (11/9/09!). Not sure if I posted it in public, but either way, here it is:

Morbii said:
In a night scenario, is there a limit to how much HIP can be purchased? Can an entire force theoretically be HIP?

The pertinent passage that I'm referring to is the Fortifcation Purchase Table note 6 that says "No more than 10% (FRU) of a side's non-Reserve Infantry squads (plus all SW/SMC set up with them in the same Location) may set up using HIP in a daytime scenario." It then goes on to state that Russians get 10% free at night but never specifies a limit for nighttime HIP.
Tom Morin said:
Morbii,

At night the Germans are Scenario Defender which would normally get 25% HIP, but per VotG24 they do not get free 25% HIP, but they can purchase up to 25% HIP.
The Russians get up to 10% HIP, and it's free.

Russians are nasty at night.

Tom

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I asked this very same question of Tom over PM almost exactly 6 years ago (11/9/09!). Not sure if I posted it in public, but either way, here it is:
Cool...thanks for the post.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Building P46/P47 on the VotG map is a Factory.

We say it has a Roof...however our old eyes might be playing tricks on us.

So...Roofless or not?

Thanks,

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I believe it is roofed. The VASL map has it shown a little more clearly as roofed, and there is a whole cluster of roofed buildings in that area.

edit: *this is wrong* also per votg7.1, factories are never gutted buildings, and I don't believe there is a way to make factories roofless in votg.

edit edit: didn't read far enough. Gutted factories are treated as per O5.5 [votg7.1]. However if you compare F36 to P46 you should see the difference.

JR

Last edited:

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe it is roofed. The VASL map has it shown a little more clearly as roofed, and there is a whole cluster of roofed buildings in that area.

edit: *this is wrong* also per votg7.1, factories are never gutted buildings, and I don't believe there is a way to make factories roofless in votg.

edit edit: didn't read far enough. Gutted factories are treated as per O5.5 [votg7.1]. However if you compare F36 to P46 you should see the difference.

JR
So you agree it has a roof?...:)

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, the Theater building (P46-P47) has a roof and is a VotG Factory (a terrain feature that often is overlooked).

Tom

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, the Theater building (P46-P47) has a roof and is a VotG Factory (a terrain feature that often is overlooked).
Thanks for confirming what we thought Tom.

Now Charlie's brokie can live...(for one turn longer anyway)...:D

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
have no idea where this wil turn up in 80 pages but......

I read that the CRS is a FACTORY. Is this right as that may adjust set up a bit. With fanatic strongpoint and NKVD this is all sounding pretty grim.
Now some Q:

Are all buildings that look like the CRS in fact factories ?

The 6 fortified loc in CG1 are these in addition to the already "given" FSP or are they to make it ?

Do all NKVD units *MMC* have Commissar like abilities for rallying other troops, even the 426 ? This really is sounding pretty grim.

In essence fortified buildings with almost self rallying troops are days 1 topic for the Officers.....

Thank u for the answers....

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
have no idea where this wil turn up in 80 pages but......

I read that the CRS is a FACTORY. Is this right as that may adjust set up a bit. With fanatic strongpoint and NKVD this is all sounding pretty grim.
Now some Q:

Are all buildings that look like the CRS in fact factories ?
V6.1 Each Multi-hex building on the VotG map is a Factory if it has >= 1 hex containing a large white center dot and/or has a Road/Railroad entering the building depiction.

The large white center dot makes the CRS a Factory. On the CGI playable area, the other Factory buildings would be:
I47 (road entering the building depiction)

The 6 fortified loc in CG1 are these in addition to the already "given" FSP or are they to make it ?
You know, that's a good question. I always assumed you use the Fortified Building location to upgrade either F36 or L38 from a Fanatic Strongpoint to a Historical Strongpoint but the wording of CGI-2 certainly suggests they are already fortified.

(edit) As I read CG11 some more, I see that you upgrade a Historical Strongpoint to a Fanatic Strongpoint, not the other way around. So I go back to my original understanding that you use the Fortified Building counters to make one of your Historical Strongpoints into a Fanatic Strongpoint.

Do all NKVD units *MMC* have Commissar like abilities for rallying other troops, even the 426 ? This really is sounding pretty grim.
Only the 6-2-8/3-2-8 with the hammer and sickle in the upper right corner of the counter are NKVD MMC (VotG SSR VotG22). Those conscripts are in the NKVD Militia Company "formation" but aren't NKVD MMC (just as 1st units in an "elite" formation aren't now elite also). See Footnote 24.

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
NKVD MMC do not have commissar like abilities. They are fairly standard MMC although with higher broken morale and a tendency not to surrender. They cannot rally other troops.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
NKVD MMC do not have commissar like abilities. They are fairly standard MMC although with higher broken morale and a tendency not to surrender. They cannot rally other troops.
Pretty sure he is referring to which units can trigger the benefits of CG11.1c NKVD Strongpoint. Specifically, "Broken Russian Personnel stacked with a Good Order NKVD MMC/or in a Location ADJACENT to a Good Order NKVD MMC/Commissar must rally as if they are stacked with a Commissar."

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Sounds like "factory" hexes ought to be marked with a printed "F" in the hex, or some such symbol. Maybe they can do that on the reprint of Red Barricades &tc.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
If anything on the VotG map could use an extra marking, its the Gutted Buildings (or perhaps the non-Gutted Buildings since most of the VotG buildings are Gutted). I propose a white star for the Gutted Building center-dot. :)

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
If anything on the VotG map could use an extra marking, its the Gutted Buildings (or perhaps the non-Gutted Buildings since most of the VotG buildings are Gutted). I propose a white star for the Gutted Building center-dot. :)
I think there is room to add a suffix to the hex number. Useful for all sorts of conditions. Anything that reduces the need to move counters to see what's printed on the map would be helpful. Or going to to the rules to find that you have to look for a stairwell symbol in some OTHER hex to know the status of THIS hex...

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Apologies if this has been asked&answered, but is F35 gutted? I've been playing this as a gutted single-hex 2-level house, but it's hard to tell from the map depiction, especially with the bigger hex-centre and the manhole circle...