v2dot6 of Starter Kit scenarios 1-8 and Expansion Pack #1 scenarios 44-51

ireland94

Starter Kit Teacher/Mento
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have uploaded two sets of v2dot6 of Starter Kit scenarios.

1) Release of 1-8, upgraded is new counters for SQ/HS and HOB
2) Initial release of 44-51 from Starter Kit Expansion Pack #1

The remaining Starter Kit scenarios will soon be upgraded from v2dot5 to v2dot6

Thripshaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, these are very cool. Two errors I did notice on S1 is that you have your East and West mixed up. The red and black is the East edge and the blue and fuchsia is the West edge. The other error is that you have German group 1 and group 2 entering on the wrong colors.

Group 1 change entry colors - The 8-1 and 3x 4-6-7 enter on the East edge (should be black and red).
Group 2 change entry colors - The 7-0 and 3x 4-4-7 enter on the West edge (should be blue and fuchsia)
Group 3 - change West to East
Group 4 - change West to East

Last edited:

LHMG

Reaction score
Just curious as I am new what the translation is to the previous posts?? Thanks. :laugh:

ireland94

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure, I colored coded the east and the west backwards based on the text description. I have reposted the S1-S8 v2dot7 with the correction. Note that the v2dot6 & v2dot7 use the latest unit counters that support SQ/HS selection and HOB (where you find ELR) so instead of have to look up what to Casualty Reduce and failing ELR, by just using the menus built in to the unit counters. Hope that explains the issues and lets you know what you will find using the latest uploads.

Pat

LHMG

Reaction score
For starters what does v2dot6, etc, etc mean??

ireland94

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is how software releases are tracked. For example, Windows 286 -> Windows 386 -> Windows 3.0 -> Windows 98 -> Windows 2000 -> Windows XP -> Windows Vista -> Windows 7, or some close approximation of that.

Generally is stands for (v=version)(Major Release Number).(Minor Release Number).

However, Windows really does not like naming files with an name such as S1RetakingVierville.2.6 (it grips and complains and makes life generally miserable using a period because it is happiest when there is a single period (also called dot in the software industry). The single period is expected to separate the file name "S1RetakingVierville" from the file extension (the file type) like name.xls for Excel files, name.doc for Word files, name.vsav for VASL save files.

So how do you get a version into the file name? There are several ways and I have elected to use a notation that transcends operation systems, LINUX, MAX O/S, and various incantations of Windows.

I put the version after the file name, e.g., v2dot6, means version 2.6 where 2 is the major release number and 7 is the minor release number.

I also replace the "." used to separate the major and minor release numbers with the word "dot".

This notation makes all the operating systems happy, and the various tools such as ZIP programs, file explorers, backup/restore programs are acceptable across all platforms.

This notation was not a flash of brilliance on my part rather a standard practice in the software development industry.

I freely admit copying the notational style.

What is does let you as a user do is track what release of the software you have.

This problem has raised its ugly head when dealing with what release of an extension, board, or overlay that you are using.

Another problem with naming as with extension in VASL is that two different developers may make what they think is a version 2 of an extension.

Only for example purposes, thus I am not picking on the extension 5BFR, one may name it 5BFRv2, another 5BFR2, yet a third 5BFR_2.

Unless you do a bit-wise test of the files are they duplicates of one another?

Also some extensions are ZIP files.

Comparing two ZIP files for equivalence is impossible if the internal files are not named that same and with identical internal directory structures.

Software has given us a lot but with no standards within the VASL community (not true of the internal structure makings of the boards, overlays, and extension), there is room for naming conflicts.

One of the keys to ZIP extension types is that they contain a buildfile the tells VASL how to construct the extension.

Next, what about the 44-51?

The developers of scenarios use a pattern with the first part of the scenario identifier is the source of the scenario, for example,
J = MMP Journal, DB = Dispatches from the Trenches, VotG = Valor of the Guards (Another MMP), CH = Critical Hit, FE = Fanatic Enterprises, S = Starter Kit (Another MMP), RPT = Rally Point, and many more, my count is over 100 identifers.

With a scenario set, say Starter Kit, there are many scenarios, and they are numbered 1, 2, ...

So scenario S1 means the 1st scenario from Starter Kit, while J117 would mean the 117th scenario from MMP's Journal.

Additionally, each scenario has a name, for example S1's name portion is "Retaking Vierville".

Depending on how familiar you are the the publication contain the scenario, you can use either or both identifiers, "S1 Retaking Vierville".

When you go on VASL, you will see various naming types, most common would be "S1" or "Retaking Vierville".

Only a few purists like me use the name "S1 Retaking Vierville".

The reason I use the full name is that I work with a lot of newbies and it makes the transition into VASL easier until they reach a certain knowledge base for the room notation.

You are free to use a notation you understand, again isn't software grand, however, it should be understandable by your fellow players.

This brings up another naming issue.

When you save game in VASL what naming notation do you use?

Recall that you could be saving at an Allies turn or Axis turn and it could be a different turns and finally different phases for the side.

I use the following notation

"T S P" for T(turn 1,2,..), S(side A= Allies, X=Axis), and P(phase RPh, PFPh, MPh, DFPh, AFPh, RPh, APh, and CCPh) so
"3 X RPh" would be that save game for at the beginning of the Axis 3rd turn Rally Phase.
If I also take a picture using VASL feature on the map window, I would name this photo "3 X RPh Photo".

Of course you are free to do what every suits you, I happen to work with a lot of players playing lots of scenarios, I wanted something sort and meaningful.

Since I do work with a lot of players how do I keep them separate if I am playing 2 players in S1?

I use the directory structure of the operating system, I use Windows-7 now.

Using my windows but it translates directly to LINUX and MAC

C:\ASL
C:\ASL\Players
C:\ASL\Players\LHMG
C:\ASL\Players\LHMG\20110511 S1 Retaking Vierville (notice that I do put in spaces in the directory for saving your S1 game, also 20110511 is computer date friendly for 2011 May 11th)
In the directory for our game of S1 ("20110511 S1 Retaking Vierville") there would be files like
1 A RPh
1 A Rph Photo
1 X RPh
1 X RPh Photo
Normally I break games at a Rally Phase, it is more difficult to keep straight if you don't, also breaking a game in the middle of a phase, MPh, for example, required due diligence because some but not all of the counters may have been moved.
If you need to break in the middle of a phase I recommend that you create a "Public Note" using the "Note" feature on the VASL control window. In the note, place any comments that are helpful for you when you continue the game at a future time and/or date.
I also write "Private Note"s to myself reminding of what I planned to do.
The other player can not see these "Private Note"s. As with "Public", "Private" is on the "Note" feature.
Another helpful "Note" feature is "Delayed". You can write a note (give the note a meaningful name) and expose the note to the other player at a future time in the game.
This is real handy for scenarios the have the player record a "secret" something or another.
I use the "Delayed" note to locate a HIP (Hidden Initial Placement) Gun. HIP hides the GUN (and crew need to be HIP also). But I have seen problems with VASL, so I do 2 things
(A) HIP gun and/crew (B) Record a delayed note giving the location and covered arc of the gun.

The final point I want to cover is what do I mean by enhanced setup?

What I do with each scenario, is prepare a VASL game and save it before any action has occurred.
This includes the following
(1) Place boards and adjust for weather conditions (snow, etc) ont the game. VASL will only lay outboards long side horizontal, not vertical.
(2) Place a Phase Turn Wheel on the game so you can keep track of the Phase.
(3) Place a turn track and compass rose on the board (so you know how many turns and which direction is north.
(4) Place as a comment the full name from the scenario card above the turn track ("S1 Retaking Vierville" for example")
(5) Place a comment of the place and date of the from the scenario card.
(6) Place a comment as to the ELR of each side from the scenario card on the game (First mover listed on top)
(7) Place colored hex markers on appropriate entrance and/or exit hexes (color coded to the identify which forces enter or exit)
(8) Place a comment for each counter group from the scenario card.
(9) Under the group comment, place each counter that is a member of that group.
(10) For each unit, give it a name, for example "Grm Sqd D" for German Squad D, or "Brt LMG B" for British LMG B, LMG is light machine gun.
(11) Finally, I use the "Info" feature from the VASL control window to put any pertinent information such as where the scenario was published and possible hints used for playing.

I'm done, put a fork in me and pull me off the grill.

If you need more information, just let me know.

Pat Ireland

email ireland94@embarqmail.com
Skype pat19481013
VASL Patrick Ireland

Again I have lots of emails I can send to any newbie about tactics, rules, references, setups, etc. Just drop me an email, send me a PM, hop in a room I am playing in - the only questions that are dumb on the ones not asked

Last edited:

LHMG

Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful info. I am still playing the MMP SK scenarios. I did order CH's Last Days but it hasnt come yet. I like the looks of there Berlin stuff and they seem to be adding new things to the game too. It doesnt look like any of there stuff is made for VASSAL yet which is too bad. Thanks again for all the info.:flag: