v.4 and v.5 Boards Compatible?

GerryM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello All:

I like the "cool mint" look of v.4 boards. So I am wondering if the two versions are (mostly) compatible? IOW can I mostly run v.4 boards if my opponents are using v.5?

Noticed one exception so far. In Board 23 (used in Going to Church for example), there are specials ways in v.5 to get rid of the Canal so it seems in that case players need v.5 boards.

Thanks,

Gerry

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There are differences in the artwork on the two versions, and that can lead to trouble when you and your opponent are finding different results to your LOS checks. (I learned this the hard way)

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Not really. There are a number of differences in LOS....some quite dramatic. You both would not be playing over the same field.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Hello All:

I like the "cool mint" look of v.4 boards.

Gerry
I hope your joking, if not then I am sorry, I hate those mint boards it makes my eyes bleed. The new v5 are so much more pleasing and healed my eyes and made the blind walk again...lol

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Not really. There are a number of differences in LOS....some quite dramatic. You both would not be playing over the same field.
What Jazz said. If you play with different versions, at some key moment, one of you will make a move that the other declares a -2 shot at but that you think is blocked and you're moving safely behind a building. Awkwardness will ensue.

Don't do it. Move to v5. All the cool kids are (and ASL guys, too).

S