UV CG I Flesh Against Concrete

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ya its a really fun CG, I really screwed up my pillbox placement and now I have lost four pillboxes without really using them. As an aside, it is too bad this module went to CH, I think if it was published by BFP or MMP, it would have been an instant classic and probably get alot of replay because it does have plenty of replay potential IE different axis of attacks, different ways to layout your Japanese defense. It is not a one shot CG, there are some interesting combat situations that makes this one very unique.

Scott

Really does sound fun.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
There is a guy called Curt Muller over on FB who is taking a dive in the UV CG too. It looks like this module is being rediscovered.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Randy and I started Firefight 4 last night with us getting to Japanese turn 2 and calling it an evening. We will probably play a few more turns this weekend but probably will not finish up this firefight until next week, there is alot going on for both sides, so rushing through turns is not going to happen. As can be seen in the pic below, the Major Marine effort is along the north edge with the Marines putting in a ton of smoke and WP to the south to cover their advance. I am prepared for this move with my Arty modules zero'd in on the Marine axis of attack. Casualties are light with the japs losing a couple of squads (my forward pickets) and the Marines losing a 6+1 leader from a sniper and a 75mm ART piece from a 100mm OBA CH.

We are at this time thinking about restarting this CG due to finding some important errata IE the Marines are not low intensity for CPP gains, they are at medium intensity and thus have missed out on 16 odd CPP's. My Japanese set up could also have been a little better but this is such a fun CG we will probably try it again anyway. I really like the options available for both sides. you are not forced into a scripted set up or attack as is the problem with many other CG's or scenarios nowadays. The rules are very grokable, no 30 or 40 pages of crazy special rules to deal with, just read up on caves, NOBA, Desert and your off to the races.

ScottFF 4 jap turn 2 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
One thing that UV got muddled up is giving NOBA pre-reg hexes. Which happens in the big scenario "119". Don't forget NOBA can't pre-reg hexes for its FFE.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Scott is right. UV is pretty simple considering the uniqueness of the battle it portrays. My own attempt at recreating this battle is a lot more complex - and its much bigger in scale too. Its nice to have both ends of the spectrum.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

Randy and I did get together last night and hammered out a few more turns of our Uncommon Valor CG Firefight with us stopping on Marine turn 6. Maybe tomorrow we might finish up this Firefight and move on to day 2 FF 5. This is one brutal CG and makes Stalingrad look like a kids sand lot that is for sure. So far, the Japanese OBA has been stellar for this Firefight as it has really put the Marines attack on a slow crawl forward. Randy's attack is mainly along the North edge and here I had a few AT mines along the road that mobilized one of his tanks, the Jap Arty has done a great job in working over the Marines, with my 70mm OBA laying in some smoke to block his 20 MG fire base (the Marines have a crap ton of MG's) and using the 100mm OBA as harassing fire on his north edge attack. The Japanese, is desperation, have thrown alot in the path of the Marines to slow down their progress with good results more or less. The casualties from this Japanese tactic of trying to stay close to the American attack has costed them alot of bodies but I think it is worth the effort. On the other hand, with a SAN of 6 for the Japanese, the Jap sniper has only been activated twice in our game, Randy is rolling lots of 6's but that damn dicebot keeps rolling high on my sniper activation attempts.

So with so many casualties for my IJA, why keep going? I still believe the Japanese have a chance to pull this one out, the Marines still have a long way to go to get to the bottom of the map and to be honest, I think the Japanese might be able to hold out until FF 7 or 8 due more to my not so great set up. Still, this is alot of fun and if you have this old module sitting on your shelf, dust it off and give it a try using the PL 3.0 rules.

Scottff 4 msarine 6 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I think this CG needs the Japanese ability to set up caves and pillboxes after the initial FF. As it stands the Japanese has to commit all his caves/pillboxes right at the start - and if he gets it wrong then its tough. It might take several attempts to get the set up right which of course means playing the CG several times. If the Japanese could only add a few caves/pillboxes later in the game it would help him enormously. These fortifications would represent positions which were always there but which were manned later on in the battle. The all or nothing arrangement as it is now detracts a bit from the fluid nature of the battle.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
So what happened? Is this CG on hold?

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm looking to play this in August or so (my price for playing Red Factories). Did you ever go back to this? Any advice for the defence?