USSR railways

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
I've been reading more about the war on the Eastern Front, and looking at the maps, and I don't think that the current configuration of the Soviet railway system is very accurate. (Do I hear the witty riposte "Like the rest of the scenario"?)

If anyone would like to take a look at this revision and comment I'd appreciate it. Do remember that it's a big picture scenario, corps level, so I don't pretend that every little connection is included, also I've deliberately avoided placing the lines along rivers so as to avoid bridge blowing of epic proportions. And the celebrated tilted axis of the whole map.

However, this does bring out the importance of some of the main rail hubs, in particular Moscow, Veliye Luki, Bryansk and Voronezh, and it won't be so easy to move units around - either for the defending Soviets or the Axis attackers. Novgorod is now adjacent to Lake Ilmen - it had wandered some distance away when no one was looking, like a naughty child. And the main road/rail approach from Vyazma to Moscow actually runs from Vyazma to Moscow, rather than taking the scenic route via Kaluga. The main link to the Caucasus ran through Rostov, not Azov.

I can't quote any single source for these changes, they're a synthesis of several maps and items that I've read.

If anyone knows better, or thinks that a key route is missing, I'd be pleased to ignore, er, hear from them.

'The Fat Controller'

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've been reading more about the war on the Eastern Front, and looking at the maps, and I don't think that the current configuration of the Soviet railway system is very accurate. (Do I hear the witty riposte "Like the rest of the scenario"?)

If anyone would like to take a look at this revision and comment I'd appreciate it. Do remember that it's a big picture scenario, corps level, so I don't pretend that every little connection is included, also I've deliberately avoided placing the lines along rivers so as to avoid bridge blowing of epic proportions. And the celebrated tilted axis of the whole map.

However, this does bring out the importance of some of the main rail hubs, in particular Moscow, Veliye Luki, Bryansk and Voronezh, and it won't be so easy to move units around - either for the defending Soviets or the Axis attackers. Novgorod is now adjacent to Lake Ilmen - it had wandered some distance away when no one was looking, like a naughty child. And the main road/rail approach from Vyazma to Moscow actually runs from Vyazma to Moscow, rather than taking the scenic route via Kaluga. The main link to the Caucasus ran through Rostov, not Azov.

I can't quote any single source for these changes, they're a synthesis of several maps and items that I've read.

If anyone knows better, or thinks that a key route is missing, I'd be pleased to ignore, er, hear from them.

'The Fat Controller'
Mark, just downloaded that file and the file within the zip doesn't appear to have an extention...what program should it open with, TOAW?

EDIT: I tried adding the .sce extention and it opened with TOAW III.

Last edited:

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some maps here may be useful. Don't worry too much about it...odds are reasonable that there were lots of rail lines that didn't work and other rail lines that did work that weren't included on any maps. Mostly it just depends upon which day you actually need the rail lines...