USPS not delivering to Australia

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
From MMP's twitter account

My guess is that due to the number of postal workers unable to work at the moment there's not much point sending goods to Australia as it will just add to the backlog.
Just a guess though...

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
The website states "*Australia’s service disruption affects Priority Mail International® (PMI), First-Class Package International Service® (FCPIS®), Commercial ePacket (CeP), International Priority Airmail® (IPA®) packets and International Surface Air Lift® (ISAL®) packets only. "

If "only" those options are disrupted, what options remain that aren't disrupted?

Typical US. Give us nuclear submarines, but won't give us mail. I'd rather have the mail.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m not touching this one, waaaaay too political.

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
USPS have been shitty to Oz/NZ for several months (I ship to both). My most recent delivery to NZ was in the USPS delivery system for 8 weeks. Tracking showed the parcel bouncing between Japan and the Hawaii several times before finally heading south.

I have a current order to Oz (FKAC) that has gone AWOL - no valid tracking number and I have no clue where it is. It will turn up eventually, or not. Probably won't see it until 2022.

I placed an order via FedEx a few days ago for some headphone cables and pads and it has already landed in Sydney from San Diego - transit time 4 days.

USPS could suckstart a stalled 747. They are at an elite level of suckdom.

Pay the extra and go FedEx.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I can't recall ever having any significant issues with USPS to Australia, and most of the issues I have had (a couple of books went AWOL, several more were delayed greatly) were in the last 12 months, when everything has generally gone to shit. And there's a fair chance those issues happened after the parcels arrived in Australia.

(I never had significant issues with Australia Post parcels, either, until the last 12 months, when more than one of their delivery drivers seem incapable of reading street names correctly.)

The real question, I suppose, is what alternatives MMP are going to offer going forward?

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
Oz Post and NZ Post have always done right by me. No issues there.

USPS are in a different league. I have had parcels for New Zealand sent to the Netherlands (to the Zeeland region). After a week or two bouncing around Europe the package eventually got back to the pacific. Kinda fun to watch it bounce around on tracking.

malorum

Reaction score
First name
Howard
Country
llAustralia
there's not much point sending goods to Australia
Or within either! A friend of mine who lives in the next town (40km away) sent me something eighteen days ago.
It hasn't even left the town.

Covid might be an excuse, but there are no covid affected workers either there or here.
For several reasons Australia Post service has simply collapsed under the increased load.

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
🤣 Good one...

von Marwitz
It was funny to watch on USPS tracking. I could not understand why the package was being sent from the USA to New Zealand via Frankfurt until I saw it travel to Holland and then to Zeeland - then I figured it out. That package must have set some sort of record for miles traveled. From USA to Europe, then back to the USA, then Japan, then Australia and then New Zealand. An entire forest of carbon expended to shift one ASL module across the Atlantic (twice) and then all over the Pacific.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was funny to watch on USPS tracking. I could not understand why the package was being sent from the USA to New Zealand via Frankfurt until I saw it travel to Holland and then to Zeeland - then I figured it out. That package must have set some sort of record for miles traveled. From USA to Europe, then back to the USA, then Japan, then Australia and then New Zealand. An entire forest of carbon expended to shift one ASL module across the Atlantic (twice) and then all over the Pacific.
Flat Stanley.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You shouldn't really feel too bad. With the current degree of education in "The States" most people they hire would have no idea were in the world Zeeland, Holland is located and only about half would be able to locate Japan or Australia on a map (and that's after giving them a hint Australia is a continent).:unsure::eek:🤫;)

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
You shouldn't really feel too bad. With the current degree of education in "The States" most people they hire would have no idea were in the world Zeeland, Holland is located and only about half would be able to locate Japan or Australia on a map (and that's after giving them a hint Australia is a continent).:unsure::eek:🤫;)
I've had similar experiences to the other posters, a pair of (Japanese, coincidentally?) battledice get sent to Japan (twice) before finally arriving in Australia, and a copy of Croix de Guerre arrive in Miami, get caught up in the South Pacific Gyre for three months before arriving back in Miami, then somehow turning up at my doorstep some additional weeks later.

What about Canada Post, do they know where Australia is? I'm waiting for something from Lone Canuck, but there's no tracking...

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
What about Canada Post, do they know where Australia is? I'm waiting for something from Lone Canuck, but there's no tracking...
Hopefully, as they both - sort of - remained "British" longer than the US. Still makes me wonder, to where the US will deliver the new nuclear subs eventually... 🤣

Fun fact: When I stayed in the US for a year of High School, they were asking me in earnest if we had refridgerators in Germany. I admit, that was quite a while ago - but not THAT quite a while ago...

von Marwitz

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hopefully, as they both - sort of - remained "British" longer than the US. Still makes me wonder, to where the US will deliver the new nuclear subs eventually... 🤣

Fun fact: When I stayed in the US for a year of High School, they were asking me in earnest if we had refridgerators in Germany. I admit, that was quite a while ago - but not THAT quite a while ago...

von Marwitz
Did you tell them you had a Kuhlschrank instead? (Sorry, no umlauts on my keyboard)

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

von Marwitz
They obviously didn't know about Einstein's early work in refrigeration.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Considering the number of container ships that are waiting off the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, CA that still need to be off-loaded....

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
The website states "*Australia’s service disruption affects Priority Mail International® (PMI), First-Class Package International Service® (FCPIS®), Commercial ePacket (CeP), International Priority Airmail® (IPA®) packets and International Surface Air Lift® (ISAL®) packets only. "

If "only" those options are disrupted, what options remain that aren't disrupted?

Typical US. Give us nuclear submarines, but won't give us mail. I'd rather have the mail.
Well, according to the posting on the USPS website, it's only being stopped because the Sydney office is blocking mail coming in, not US reluctance to send mail out. In any event it only effects the Sydney office and only for 48 hours. Brisbane and Melbourne are apparently getting their mail just fine.

Also the whole thing transpired almost a month ago.

Last edited:

Scott_Blanton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That website posting may be out of date. If you go to USPS.com and calculate a package to Australia it only has Global Express and Priority Express options. Priority Mail International and First Class Package International stopped on 9/17/21. You can go to https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/international/welcome.htm and click "View Suspensions" for updated info.