Using Vlogs to create a play history

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I like writing AARs from time to time, especially when I learn new things and tactics. But I am really confused about using logs to create a play history over several sessions. Right now I just have save games that create snapshots, when I remember to save them under a new savename.

Can anyone walk me through this? I would like to basically create a log of the game so that I can follow the action from beginning to the end of the scenario, but I am confused by how the logfiles work in terms of naming, loading, and saving them. I've looked at a couple of things, but they seem more geared towards PbEM than keeping a record, and haven't really helped me figure this out.

Thanks in advance!

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would recommend starting the log file whenever you want to start recording moves. As far as naming is concerned, you could number them sequentially with a reference to the current turn and phase, such as "001 T1 A RPh.vlog". This would be the first log file, starting at Turn 1 for the Allies Rally Phase. I usually use "X" for axis.

When you are done recording moves, end the log file.

Hope this helps,
Alan

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks Alan! So because I am a bit slow...

1. Set up game.
2. Start Logfile and give it a name.
3. Play game until we run out of time.

This is where I get fuzzy.

4. Save game? Or do I end logfile first?
5. Repeat for each session?

And what does load continuation do? Is it for replay? So let's say I load a .vlog instead of a .vsav because I want to review notes. If I have a .vlog for session 1, can I just use load continuation to keep "watching" the vlog for session 2, etc?

I think that for 4, above, it should not really matter which I do first, so long as I end the logfile and save before I quit, yes?

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What I do:
1. End the logfile first and then save game.
2. Use the chat feature to make notes of events.
3. Save different games labelling by point-of-save & session "R3end, S#" and logs by Session.
4. Haven't tried continuation stuff.
5. folder each game with game sessions, logs.

The whole logfile feature makes doing an AAR more realistic - never great at taking notes otherwise - and it breaks up game play.
Really like the step thru feature.

Just finished playing ESG 20 Feast of Horror this way and eventually like to do an AAR. Need to PM HongKong and find source of his comic book presentation feature - very nice.

Probably haven't developed the paranoid fear-of-god on server crash yet to save more often, so far lucky.

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure what "Load Continuation" does, as I'm sort of new to the VASL PBEM stuff as well. I like to thing of the log files as movies, whereas the saved games are more like snap shots.

As far as the order of "End Log File" and "Save Game", I'm not sure that there is much difference. Next time you both have time to play, load up the last saved game, start a new log file, and play!

Alan

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ok, so I think I've got this now.

1. Set up game.
2. Start log. There are a couple of options in the Preference->General tab that deal with logging, the first of which will prompt you to start a new log every time you open a save or start a new game. Give the logfile a distinctive name.
3. Play!
4. At the end of the session, save the game, and end the logfile. One of the options above will auto-open a comment window every time you end the log, which I find handy at times. Doesn't matter whether you save or end logfile first, so far as I can tell. Note that ending the logfile saves the game at that point, so technically you don't actually have to save, I'm pretty sure.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 as required until the scenario ends, hopefully in glorious victory, for you even!. Note that you can open from the logfile instead of the saves, and it should work fine.
6. To go over the game, whether you want to write an AAR, or just revisit your (in)glorious (un)victory, open the logfile from the first session. When you get to the point at which the first session ends, use the "Load Continuation" function to access the second session, and so forth.

Thanks for all the help!

Unfortunately for me, my current game has gone so poorly that it definitely one of my most inglorious unvictories. My setup was poor, my opponent's luck somewhat better than mine, and I have played so atrociously that I am considering writing up an AAR of what not to do...

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Unfortunately for me, my current game has gone so poorly that it definitely one of my most inglorious unvictories. My setup was poor, my opponent's luck somewhat better than mine, and I have played so atrociously that I am considering writing up an AAR of what not to do...
That's like ALL my games, as you can surely see from my AARs.