Using Printed VASL Maps for FTF Play

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi folks! I have been printing out VASL maps more and more frequently to play face to face (FTF) games with my opponents whenever there are overlays or any terrain changes. I possess mounted maps 1-47, but find adding overlays, applying all of the terrain SSRs and season changes (orchard, grain, plowed fields, etc.) in VASL and then printing them out on a really nice color printer to be *most excellent*. In doing so, no longer do my opponent and I forget that grain was *not* a hindrance 3 turns ago or that brush was actually stone rubble. Also, PTO settings remove roads and convert orchards to palm trees. There's also white open ground hexes for ground snow really giving you the "winter feel". These are just a few of the benefits.

I have heard of some folks getting hung up that there are slight differences in the VASL maps compared to the mounted boards. Possibly, but who cares?

To me the advantages outweigh any possible downside. Aer any of you doing this? What do the listeroids think?

Houlie

<<<--- "Who loves you, baby?"

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An additional note: I save the VASL map as a GIF (it's the little camera icon in VASL to save it). I use Microsoft photo editor program to open the document and print it out on an HP5500 color printer at work. I usually only create maps that are 1/2 board in size so it will fit on LEGAL size paper. Legal size paper for a 1/2 board will give you slightly bigger than normal hexes. It all looks quite nice. Try experimenting to find what works best for you!

Regards,

Houlie

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
Yep, I did this when playing a couple of scenarios from the Provenance Pack. Worked out, but you have to tape multiple maps together unless you have access to a large plotter.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Not to bad for limited uses, the idea would be nice for the overlays like you mention.

Just depends on how much printer ink you like to expend hehe.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I also saw guys at a recent event who had printed out a complete set of the VASL "winterized" versions of all the standard maps. Nifty idea if you like the look of the winter maps.

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
caves

Where printed VASL maps are great is when you are playing a cave or high density fortification scenario. I like to have a second map in addition to the one your opponent & you are playing on. You can use the base terrain and draw in your caves, pillboxes, & mines. That works better than leaving the cave counters in place, because sometimes there are multiple counters in one hex, hiding the bottom ones. You can also mark which ones have been spotted by your opponent--that helps avoid the old "stop here, I need to put a trench on board that you saw two turns ago" situation.

For Kakazu Ridge as well as Uncommon Valor, using a second map like this allows all those HIP counters a place to be...

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great point, Tork. Fortifications or terrain changes can be drawn right on the map. Rubble a building? Draw rubble ala RB with a gray ot brown marker. Discover a minefield? Draw an "M" in the hex. Foxholes, trenches? Easy. It helps a lot with counter management. Very cool.

Carl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a cheaper way to get a larger hexgrid than taking the maps to a copy shop and getting an enlarged color copy. I've seen color copies blown up to RB-sized hexes and can see the advantage of them.

A minor disadvantage of the VASL maps is that the LOS isn't the same as the real boards. If you subscribe to the affects LOS can have on play balance then this is a disadvantage. If you don't then this isn't a disadvantage.

Carl

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Carl said:
A minor disadvantage of the VASL maps is that the LOS isn't the same as the real boards. If you subscribe to the affects LOS can have on play balance then this is a disadvantage. If you don't then this isn't a disadvantage.

Carl
Why aren't they the same?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
The LOS *may* not be the same. :)

Just an unfortunate side effect of the way maps are made which can be mitigated by careful map QA.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have toyed with the idea of printing the SSR changes on to photopaper. Nice finish and thin enough to set on a board without too much hassle. Have not done it yet because 99.9% of my gaming is VASL and the program takes care of most changes. :cheeky:

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
VASL lines of sight may be different because they're mostly hand-painted, so may differ slightly from the original. Of course, most of the originals differ from each other anyway because the hexgrids are slightly differently aligned, or the centre dots are not quite in the centre of the hexes. More of a problem with the older boards that had lots of different print runs.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You always have the option of bringing the VASL map in conformity with the paper map. Change the bd* name to add *.zip and open it up. Modify the *.gif files and submit to Rodney for consideration. Someone has to redo the *.map file in light of the changes. Most of the deviations are minor IMO.