Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
There is no white ink in most printers. The printer relies on the paper being white. What appears white on paper is places the printer has not printed. On a transparency page "white" areas are transparent.

JR
So all you have to do is change the green to white and print.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
There are no white ink cartridges for most printers. In fact I can't find any.

JR
If you want it to be clear, change the green to white, because you said the printer does not print white, and you have road overlays in hex grid on a clear sheet.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If you want it to be clear, change the green to white, because you said the printer does not print white, and you have road overlays in hex grid on a clear sheet.
I was talking about how to print true white, not transparent. If you want some true white, e.g. hex center dot, then you are out of luck. For leaving areas transparent when printing on a transparency sheet you are correct you paint the those areas as white. For programs that understand "transparent", e.g. gimp, that works as well.

JR

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is no white ink in most printers. The printer relies on the paper being white. What appears white on paper is places the printer has not printed. On a transparency page "white" areas are transparent.

JR
Yes, you're right. I printed those items with a very faint gray background so the white areas are transparent and show up. So I guess one would have to use black center dots and IDs on "light colored" overlays and maybe yellow on "dark colored" overlays?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Yes, you're right. I printed those items with a very faint gray background so the white areas are transparent and show up. So I guess one would have to use black center dots and IDs on "light colored" overlays and maybe yellow on "dark colored" overlays?
I believe that most "light colored" areas on paper are mostly not printed with just a touch of color added. On a transparency sheet this would appear as a mostly transparent area with a hint of color.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No real need to add color to the center dot as if is is transparent the white/black center dot of the board beneath the overlay should show thru anyway.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
No real need to add color to the center dot as if is is transparent the white/black center dot of the board beneath the overlay should show thru anyway.
If you are creating a river or stream overlay, you can't have white highlights. In fact any light color is going to be show colors through from the board when printed on transparency, even if not pure white.

Perhaps another way to approach the problem would be to print on white paper and cut out the image that should not be transparent, then laminate. You might even add another step by printing a hex grid and perhaps some positioning marks on a transparent sheet, attach the paper to the printed transparent sheet then laminate the bundle. That's a lot of manual effort but it would probably work pretty well.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you are creating a river or stream overlay, you can't have white highlights. In fact any light color is going to be show colors through from the board when printed on transparency, even if not pure white.

Perhaps another way to approach the problem would be to print on white paper and cut out the image that should not be transparent, then laminate. You might even add another step by printing a hex grid and perhaps some positioning marks on a transparent sheet, attach the paper to the printed transparent sheet then laminate the bundle. That's a lot of manual effort but it would probably work pretty well.

JR
I tried that a while back but found that when trying to cover up buildings for example, the plethora of types and sizes on the printed boards were fairly difficult to completely cover unless using a completely colored overlay (e.g. printed on paper and covering the entire hex).