Use of airlanded headquarters

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Hi.
I am currently trying to bring off a succesfull conquest of Britain. I have two bridgeheads, and captured a few airfields.

What is the current thinking on airlifting headquarters into the airfields in order to expand my bridgeheads into his rear?
Is it:
a) Very good play. :)
b) Gamey but OK. :whist:
c) Strictly forbidden. :mad:

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
rasmus said:
Hi.
I am currently trying to bring off a succesfull conquest of Britain. I have two bridgeheads, and captured a few airfields.

What is the current thinking on airlifting headquarters into the airfields in order to expand my bridgeheads into his rear?
Is it:
a) Very good play. :)
b) Gamey but OK. :whist:
c) Strictly forbidden. :mad:
So long as you land them at airfields I would say (b). You should discuss this with your opponent first, really, though. Something which, like seaborne invasions into non-anchorage hexes, should be discussed in the briefing of any scenario with significant airlift.

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
I'd have thought the Student HQ certainly (although has he appeared yet?), and maybe a limited number, depending upon how many active corps you have in the UK, i.e. Two corps = one Army HQ, two Army HQs = one Army Group HQ?

But sticking twelve HQs in by air behind the enemy front line in one week just to boost the numbers and spread out like a virus would definitely be naughty.

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
Mark Stevens said:
But sticking twelve HQs in by air behind the enemy front line in one week just to boost the numbers and spread out like a virus would definitely be naughty.
This is why it's important a) not to put too many combat elements into HQs b) to have only one HQ per formation in most circumstances. That will ensure that HQs are only used as HQs- not as light cavalry.