US-USSR scenrio playetesters needed

LOK

Reaction score
Country
llGreece
viridomaros said:
my box is empty now
otherwise you can try viridomaros@yahoo.fr
it would be good to read the information before starting playing i think, so sorry if i make you wait a bit Dan, as soon as i have read all the information i will start playing
They are on their way...
I have started two games - one as USSR and one as US. That's all I can handle for now but I greatly appreciate any comments you may have

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
1,6 meg !!!!!!! :surprise:
now i understand why it didn't work on my hotmail account, my box on hotmail has only 1 meg space, i have a look to these files then i start my first turn with dan Nelly
thanks for sending me the files

LOK

Reaction score
Country
llGreece
danneely said:
seems like my mrb account's not taking anything atm since a testmail I sent hasn't shown up either. summoner @ computersims . com is my primary alternate, try sending a copy there instead. You'll have to snip the spaces, I don't want a spambot spider to be able to find it.

Don't bother sending the colors thing again even it it was updated, I never use it.
Done!

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
LOK said:
They are on their way...
I have started two games - one as USSR and one as US. That's all I can handle for now but I greatly appreciate any comments you may have
i have played my first turn and here are my first comments
why did you put the option of mobilizing finland, austria, sweden since for me it is quite obvious the warsaw pact player is going to attack there and since if these countries are attacked by warsaw pact they will automtically join USA at no cost in term of vp for the USA player, so why a USA player should mobilize these countries before warsaw pact invade them
as it will cost vp to the USA player i think this is useless to mobilize these countries.
but may be ( surely :D) is there something i missed, i have some difficulties in understanding the situation in this scenario, the more difficult for me is to examine the situation to know which option is worth it and which is not.

Dan Neely

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Preemptive mobilization. IF you mobilize them before being attacked you can better deploy their forces to resist invasion and send additional troops to reinforce them. If the soviet player rushes troops to the border and attacks the same turn it won't matter, but if he builds the force up slowly deploying them over a few turns, or decides to wait until the catBs mobilize before attacking it's annother story entirely.

Finland and Austria will likely be overran in short order regardless of what you do. In austria's case a rapid nato reinforcement will allow you to defend farther forward into the mountains protecting more entry hexes until the reserves deploy and pull back the exposed mech units allowing the country to partially defend itself reducing the number of divs that need to be divirted from elsewhere. The Lenningrad Military District is almost entirely cat B/C units which means that an early invasion of finland/sweden will require divirting troops from the effort in Germany. The flip side of this is that with Swedish assistance a spoiling attack can be made from finland at the kola peninsula. Unlike Finland/Austria/Yugoslovia Sweden has a decent military and fighting through it to take the country out will largely deplete the entirity of forces assigned to the Northern TVD. The same is true of trying to bludgeon south through the Norwegian mountains, it's doable but the loss rates will be very much in nato's favor. Maintaining a minimum screening force to hold the Swedes back and sending most of the troops to Germany is certainly a viable option. If the pact player doesn't attack Sweden and neglects to leave enough good troops north to hold the line the Swedes are capable of carrying out an offensive against CatC divs.

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
right i understand
did you get my first turn?
i sent it to you something like one hour ago at summoner @ computersims . com

LOK

Reaction score
Country
llGreece
viridomaros said:
i have played my first turn and here are my first comments
why did you put the option of mobilizing finland, austria, sweden since for me it is quite obvious the warsaw pact player is going to attack there and since if these countries are attacked by warsaw pact they will automtically join USA at no cost in term of vp for the USA player, so why a USA player should mobilize these countries before warsaw pact invade them
as it will cost vp to the USA player i think this is useless to mobilize these countries.
but may be ( surely :D) is there something i missed, i have some difficulties in understanding the situation in this scenario, the more difficult for me is to examine the situation to know which option is worth it and which is not.
I know the set-up is a bit strange for TOAW. Here is an attempt to explain a few issues (similar info is in the briefing but probably I could have done a better job explaining it).
The USSR player may choose not to attack countries like Finland or Sweden for various reasons (e.g. a wider front, SWedish and Finnish units joining NATO etc.). Mobilizing or attacking too many countries will result in significant victory point losses so you must choose carefully.
The US player may decide to mobilize them first for the same reasons: to open up a wider front again the USSR in the North, get the additional units from Sweden & Finland etc.
Similar reasons apply to Austria, Yugoslavia Middle eastern countries etc. although for each countries different reasons may apply.
In general I tried to have as many neutral countries as possible and let the players decide which countries they attack or mobilize. I think it makes it more interesting and gives variability to the scenario. I hope this helps...let me know if you have more questions.

Dan Neely

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
viridomaros said:
right i understand
did you get my first turn?
i sent it to you something like one hour ago at summoner @ computersims . com
yes. I fired off a quick reply when I got it, and you should have my next one in your mailbox when you wake up in the morning.

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
2 quick notes

two quick things I noticed:

I'd put as one player the Nato flag instead than USA one.
I'd write on the map where the strategic options are what they are, it iss a bit clumsy to look at the page (resolutions, etc.) to know which option is which and one can do mistakes...

LOK

Reaction score
Country
llGreece
piero1971 said:
two quick things I noticed:

I'd put as one player the Nato flag instead than USA one.
I'd write on the map where the strategic options are what they are, it iss a bit clumsy to look at the page (resolutions, etc.) to know which option is which and one can do mistakes...
The NATO flag did not show up correctly on my PC. Also the scenario is more from the global US perspective rather than NATO.

On the second part I am not what you mean. Where should I write the strategic options? (I have reached the max number of placenames already). I agree it is clumsy to look at a piece of paper (just like the a boardgame) but I wanted all the info to be contained in a single place. I am open to suggestions

Dan Neely

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You might have a few hiding off the edges of the map. I found one 3 hexes off the top when I resized to stick the panama canal on.

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
hi dan
don't know if you sent me your turn already but i can't find it in both of my boxes, i just hope it hasn't been lost one more time in the cyberspace :mad:

LOK

Reaction score
Country
llGreece
danneely said:
You might have a few hiding off the edges of the map. I found one 3 hexes off the top when I resized to stick the panama canal on.
will check...thanks :)

Dan Neely

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I screwed up on my orginal turn (mispelled pw I couldn't guess) and had to redo it. I sent it ~24hrs ago so I'm assuming it didn't arrive and will resend. Your query was only a minute or two after the last time I checked this thread while on earlier today, or I'd've responded then. As a thought, I'll send a reply back as soon as I get a turn so you'll know that it arrived, if you do the same we shouldn't have any worries about lost emails.

Sent to your hotmail address. I don't have you other one or I'd try there instead since IIRC hotmail only has a 2meg quota so >600k emails would overflow it rapidly.

Last edited by a moderator:

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
i don't know if you have already resend it or not
but i still don't have anything in my box
may be better to use: viridomaros@yahoo.fr
as i have plenty of room on this one ( about 10 meg)
it would be good to send me a pm on warfare hq once you sent me something so we can keep in touch

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
LOK said:
On the second part I am not what you mean. Where should I write the strategic options? (I have reached the max number of placenames already).
Damn TOAW for limiting this. I have had the same problem for quite some scenarios!!! then you took the only solution possible!

LOK

Reaction score
Country
llGreece
Rules clarification

Issue:
"As pact on turn 1 I mobilized syria and lebannon to redeploy the
syrian army and prevent it from being flanked by a lebanese collapse.
The enemy mobilized Isreal and attacked Lebanon ONLY intending to do just that. I'd assume that he'd be allowed to attack Syrian units in Lebanon but would be forced to let the ones on the Syrian border unmollested."

Resolution:
Since you moblized Syria and Lebanon on turn 1 you get a chance to redeploy your units before he can attack anywhere. He can only initiate combat against a country after one full turn has passed.
So ingoring his Attack Lebanon Option activation for a moment, the 1 FULL turn requirement is fullfilled by your action alone: Syria/Lebanon join the war from USSR Turn 1 to USSR Turn 2. Since Syria has joined the war by his turn 2 he is free to attack any Syrian territory and units within Syria proper independent of any other action he may have taken on Lebanon.
Basically, once either of the players has mobilized or attacked a country and 1 FULL turn has passed the countries can be attacked.

To clarify further consider this:
IF you had not mobilized Syria then the following would have applied:
Since he only exercised the Attack Lebanon Option he is allowed to attack Lebanese hexes including any Syrian units deployed in Lebanon (which iirc mobilize when Lebanon is attacked anyway). He is NOT allowed to attack ANY units in Syria proper. In order to enter Syrian air space or Syrian hexes he MUST use the option to Attack Syria (disband the appropriate unit).

This design feature was intentional on my part to allow players to do exactly what he was trying to do. Glad to see it worked!

I hope this helps.

I'd be very interested to hear any other comments/suggestions etc. I have two games going one as US and one as USSR and I am enjoying them immensly.

Dan Neely

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LOK said:
Issue:
"As pact on turn 1 I mobilized syria and lebannon to redeploy the
syrian army and prevent it from being flanked by a lebanese collapse.
The enemy mobilized Isreal and attacked Lebanon ONLY intending to do just that. I'd assume that he'd be allowed to attack Syrian units in Lebanon but would be forced to let the ones on the Syrian border unmollested."

*mumble* thunderstorms ... sleep deprivation ... fain bralure ...

viridomaros and I are behind because of a miskeyed pw on my part an a few com problems after that. Once something interesting happens I'll let you know. A truncated save when annother round of tstorms rumbled by cost 2hrs of play and kept me from finishing it tonight. BLEGH. I'm mostly done, but still need to rebase the entire soviet fighterforce and I'm not doing that on a small screen. no way, no how.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan Neely

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I put together a table listing each country, the number of VPs the objective hexes in it's borders are worth, the number of VPs it's army's worth, and for countries with single activation, the number of VPs needed for either side to do so. I got the VP values for the armies via disbanding, so it's limited to what I could actaully disband. Air, naval, and attack HHs aren't disbandable. I didn't think to remove yellow bars in the editor until I was ~75% done so fixed AA units aren't counted either. There might be counting errors on the VP hex side, or misremembered previous value errors on the army value one. I know I caught a few of the latter when they looked screwy but won't gaurantee I found all of them.

http://summoner.falldowngoboom.org/toaw/vps.xls